How effective are polls in getting change?

No, as with most past changes at CFC. There was, however, intense clamouring both for and against a split in the years leading up to the decision (and intense clamouring of the "we want something!" variety). Community consultation really started on a more major scale with the rules discussion social group, but that didn't mean there was going to be a vote on the specific proposal.

If not then, why now? It does appear to be making roadblocks rather than trying to seek solutions.
Unless I am mistaken, for the admin to act this change, would take, 30 seconds at best?

If not then, why now? It does appear to be making roadblocks rather than trying to seek solutions.
Unless I am mistaken, for the admin to act this change, would take, 30 seconds at best?

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying with this post. What is the 'it' you're referring to?

For an admin to actually merge the Chamber and Tavern might take more than 30 seconds, but it indeed is not the reason why change has thus far not happened. Rather:
there are different ways to go about a merge, and different possible results from a merge

Simply merging the forums with nothing else would mean you have two sets of rules applying to the one forum.

Simply lock them both, and unlock OT Original, applying Tavern rules, with the option to Red Diamond threads you want harder moderation in.

Right, that's a possibility. But my point is that what you're describing there is something we have to reach a decision on first, not simply a matter of an admin clicking a few buttons.

My point being that there's absolutely nothing moderators can do here except have an opinion (or an onion, as my phone seems to like suggesting), and we usually don't take to publicly lobbying the admins, to whom this request is directed. Thus my confusion as to what sort of response was expected of me.

Elsewhere you have already said it is not your decision to make. Thus it really is down to our few fleeting admin to made the choice is it not? Or were you wrong in the other thread?

Elsewhere I said that the decision on how to organise the Other Games forums was not mine to make. And it's not. I am not in any way whatsoever responsible for any of those forums, and the organisation of them is purely an administrative thing, not related to the forum rules or moderating standards. Supermods have some responsibility beyond simple forum moderation, and all moderators can have opinions on the issue (unlike most other issues, I don't really care one way or the other with that one), but no, not my decision in the slightest.

What happens to the Chamber and Tavern, however, isn't simply a matter of forum organisation, but relates to how the forums operate on a day to day basis, and how they are moderated. Firstly, I have much more of an interest in the OTs, so I have more responsibility simply by virtue of that, and secondly, moderators as a group have more of a say because it's a moderation issue. What happens with that issue will largely be determined by moderators, with the admins heavily relying upon our opinions.

The organisation of the Other Games forums and the Colosseum are not remotely the same issue, so it's not inconsistent for me to have more of an interest or say in one than the other. Even if the distinction between the two decisions seems fairly artificial in theory, it should be noted that realistically the decision-making process involved is starkly different.

I will, of course, execute the duties required of me by my position as a moderator as assigned by the admins and site owner, but not without a thorough discussion of what any proposed changes would entail.

I have a life, and if I can't fulfill the expected commitments here because of the tension between life and CFC then I'd have to resign and be replaced. And, likely, I'd have to be replaced by more than just one recruit. I'm not saying I would resign or anything - just the this is a consideration you've made light of, but it's a realistic concern.

Just because a change might be effected by clicks in drop down menu does not at all imply it's a small effective change in sum.

Top Bottom