How long have you been playing Civ3 for?

So, how long?

• More than 7 years! (Beta tester!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 + years

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • 5 + years

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • 4 + years

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • 3 + years

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 2 + years

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • 1 + years

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Just started playing!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
4, perhaps even 5 years, and over that time it's been the only one I kept coming back to.

I think I got the game in its first year, but the big hook was when I upgraded to Conquests. I found the changes made it much more playable. Then I discovered this site and got further hooked.

Likewise.

I got the Collector's Edition in October of 01, and even have the large tin box to prove it (somewhere). But I actually only dabbled with it, found I liked my Playstation adaptation of Civ2 better, and shelved Civ3 for years.

But when I moved in 05, I unpacked it, gave it a second chance. Mostly due to reading articles at places like this, I "got" how to play 3 style this time and adored it. Complete came out around that time, and since I am now and have always been a total SUCKER for bonus civs/extra civs, I snatched it up. And I've been losing my free time and social life ever since. So much so that even though I have Civ4 Vanilla (got it in the Chronicles pack a year ago), I'm only just now giving it a chance [which also means upgrading my computer].

The fact that my username stems from my pet NameForm for elite units that spawn a MGL when I'm playing Carthage, you can guess that I won't be shelving this game for four years again anytime soon. :D

3 has some great mods that breathe new life into it, and I'm even trying to tinker around with one for my own amusement. I am making no headway, and I usually just start playing instead of modding.

At least four years, possibly longer.
And here I am still playing Monarch.

CivII played so well on our Power Mac, but when we bought a new PC {don't get married if you can avoid it} I had to buy a new game - CivIII w/ Conquests. That was 4-5 years ago. Someone mentioned "Diplomacy"; I played the old board game decades ago. And does anybody remember "Combat Simulations" - monthy games mailed to you with giant hex maps and little cardboard punchouts for units? Exactly like Civilization but pre-computer.

Look at them poll results. :wow: So far, 45% have played 6+ years. The Civ 3 lifers are out in force!

Me, been playing for 4+ years. I'm middle-aged in Civland.

About 4+ if I remember right. I had played civ II and guessed (correctly) that I'd be hooked from day 1. Even went so far as to read the whole manual when I was without a computer for a week. A while ago though I made the switch from mostly play to modding with some play. The longest period [mostly] without play was probably about a 6-month breather. (one needs to sleep sometime)

Playing Vanilla for 4 Years, Conquests for 2 years

Someone mentioned "Diplomacy"; I played the old board game decades ago. And does anybody remember "Combat Simulations" - monthy games mailed to you with giant hex maps and little cardboard punchouts for units? Exactly like Civilization but pre-computer.

Yep, that would be me. I remember those. I still have 25 or so Avalon Hill/Victory Games titles wandering around my house, and I still maintain an OS 9 Mac just so I can play Combat Mission. I believe "grognard" is the word I'm looking for. :D

Yep, that would be me. I remember those. I still have 25 or so Avalon Hill/Victory Games titles wandering around my house, and I still maintain an OS 9 Mac just so I can play Combat Mission. I believe "grognard" is the word I'm looking for. :D

Yes indeed! :D

As an old grognard, I have several old Strategy & Tactics magazines and associated games tucked away in a closet. ;)

It's also why I often take issue with those who treat Civ3 as a wargame. I know what real wargames are! :D

I bought my first copy in December 02. I was working away from home and thought it would be a good game to keep me occupied over the Christmas Holidays. I haven't put the game down since.

So 5+ years for me, and just afew months shy of 6.

Since spring of 2002. I have set 2 goals for myself before moving on to Civ 4:
1) Complete all 7 Conquests.*
2) Win a game on Monarch for once.

*I've completed 6 Conquests, but not all on the same computer... and then on this computer something went wrong with my original Conquests disk, so I had to buy a new one, but I couldn't install it until I'd uninstalled Civ III althogether, so I lost all records of my Conquests. I'm on like the 4th or 5th go-round of Conquests and this time I'm determined to complete all 7. I ran into a setback, since I had the wrong setting on my computer which failed to save any records of my wins this time. I only learned how to fix that by reading a bug fix thread here the other week. So I have gone back and started from Mesopotamia again! This time it's for real!

I'm fairly sure there are...hold on a sec... just checked and there are 9 conquests. If you really want it all in the record books then more power to ya. If, on the other hand you're satisfied with simply knowing you completed them but really wanted to be rewarded by the movie...

Spoiler :
Once you've completed all nine, go to \Conquests\Art\Movies and switch the names of the two files there and start/restart the game. Course, if you're like me and enjoy the mods around here more then you needn't necessarily ... :mischief:

btw, this small patch made by BeBro made the Napoleonic conquest very enjoyable. Also, the cities by Vwarnos add extra flavor. These changes are not huge and largely just graphical, highly recommended.

OK, I meant all 9. Thanks for the correction. I'm about to start the Rise of Rome for the umpteenth time. That one takes forever. It seems even longer coming right after the shortest one, Mesopotamia.

At least four years, possibly longer.
And here I am still playing Monarch.

Heh, IM the same both in time and skill level traveled. Wouldn't feel bad though. It just means your more striving for balance/realism. Ya once you hit Sid you'll turn el chesso. Not long till your played out after that

Add more civs, stack more tiles, raise the cultural VC, try mods refined, all just a few examples that bring more challenge without tranforming to a serial RP 'Sid' level rapist over night

To me That ain't civ3 and most who fly that way flock to another type of game. Civ4 makes cleaner HOF name but in its day civ3's esteemed leaderboard had players cut lose from fair or 'true' to become expliot hunters
No going back once ya close that strategy door in pursuit of ultra high score. I guesss some like the prestige n' fame over a proper feel to a history-stratgy game. Its all cool tho

Top Bottom