How many fights have you been in?

Haven't been in a fight. Growing up I was always the tallest out of my peers and right now I'm 6'4'' 230lbs of mostly muscle, I can get most people to back down before anything escalates.

I am about the same size, at least fifteen years older than you, and haven't been in a fight since before the cut-off age either (was shoved and knocked around a little bit on occasion before then, but that ended in middle school, after the older and bigger bullies stopped being bigger).

As said, I'm no tall person, so I feel safe in claiming size is quite irrelevant: it's who/what you are, not how tall/big you are what matters.

:cringe: I am assuming in Dutch molested means the same as in Spanish, as in "bothered, pestered etc"

But in English it usually means that someone did things to you sexually that you didn't approve of. Just remember that, it could cause some confusion in real life :crazyeye:

Also I agree with your closing statement :)

I would think using the term sexually molested for that would be appropriate. Molestation (nor assault) is sexual in itself. (Perhaps I should've said attacked, but then again an attack can also have a sexual connotation. Anyway, to molest is the same in Eng./Dutch according to my dictionary - and apparently in Spanish as well.) Come to think of it, if you're a male, any attack has a sexual connotation as, biologically speaking, it's a challenge to your "manhood" (whatever that may be), or, more precisely, a challenge sec - which you can take up or ignore. (The latter usually being the wiser choice.) As you may have gathered from my posting, I consider any such "challenge" too primitive to respond to except verbally. (In other words: someone may beat the crap out of me, I will still mock his obvious inferiority to his face. Basically such people just want to make me laugh: the brain is the most powerful tool; those who don't know how to use it, fight. Those who do, most likely never have to fight. If you're gonna be succesful in life never depends on your ability to fight - unless you want to make it your profession. (And then I would advise against boxing - unless your name is Muhammad Ali.) OK, I'm done now.:hatsoff:

A question I have seen in a book about Aikido.

"Is Aikido efficient for self defence?"

And the answer was interesting.

Some studies have been made, where "thugs" were shown pictures of men and women, and asked which one they would attack first, for instance if they want to steal a purse or wallet.

And from the result, it was clear that the attitude of a possible target plays a very important role.

Someone with a little training as a way to move, to recenter himself, and a little confidence that others lack.

And apparently it's often a sufficient deterrent.

Imagine someone just bump you, to see if you can be bullied and if he can take your wallet. Depending how you react, he may just say sorry and move to the next target.

If you take the correct distance, recenter, etc, you will not be seen as an easy target.

Of course, if the guy really wants to attack you it will change nothing, but with a "casual" occasion, a thug will rather choose a vulnerable target, and it's often done with some of unconscious appraisal.

Hmmm...

I don't know if I'm really clear.

molested for that would be appropriate. Molestation (nor assault) is sexual in itself. (Perhaps I should've said attacked, but then again an attack can also have a sexual connotation. Anyway, to molest is the same in Eng./Dutch according to my dictionary -

I dunno, you are just going to have to take it from as an English first language person. At the very least in the U.S. it has gained a sexual cogitation recently. If you tell someone here that you were molested they are automatically going to think sexuallt molested :cringe:

Never been in a serious fight, some few drunken brawls but they were all 'fair fights' where people don't try to seriously hurt one another, if you're down on the ground and stay there noone bothers you etc etc.

None, because I'm not an idiot.

Good for you.

Someone with a little training as a way to move, to recenter himself, and a little confidence that others lack.

And apparently it's often a sufficient deterrent.

Imagine someone just bump you, to see if you can be bullied and if he can take your wallet. Depending how you react, he may just say sorry and move to the next target.

If you take the correct distance, recenter, etc, you will not be seen as an easy target.

Of course, if the guy really wants to attack you it will change nothing, but with a "casual" occasion, a thug will rather choose a vulnerable target, and it's often done with some of unconscious appraisal.

Hmmm...

I don't know if I'm really clear.

I think you're on the dot: self-confidence is an important part of deterring potential aggressors. But I'd agree, if someone really wants to assault you, that won't deter him/her; again, at this point, self-confidence is crucial, though.

If someone bumps into you, a natural reflex would be to oppose that movement (not reflect it). That may just be instinct: a potential threat must be assessed, so you naturally move your 9epper) body back a little, increasing the distance. Ignoring such bumps, even in a crowd, is quite close to simple carelessness.

While some people may find "safety" in a crowd, that's partly illusion: the sense that you are part of a crowd will not protect you against individual harm. (I'm not considering the collective consciousness of a crowd, which often can override individual moral restraint.)

Once, at school. I dropped my locker key and a ginger kid (who was always being a git to everyone) stood on it and wouldn't move, so I punched him in the face and grabbed it while he was on the floor. He got back up and shoved me into the lockers, but it was pretty weak. I kicked him in the knee and pushed him over again, but then a teacher came by. I didn't get in trouble, because everyone else who was nearby stuck up for me - they hated the little scrote as well.

I've only been in one legit fist fight in my life...the whole thing was over pretty quickly. The guy took two swings at me, I hit him once, he left.

I play sports a lot (basketball and soccer), and sometimes in the heat of the game, things can get pretty physical. I'm certainly not above sending a "message" if somebody is picking on one of my teammates, or breaking some rules (for example, if i'm a goalie in soccer, and a player in getting in my face, being overly physcal with me when he shouldn't be, etc...I'm bowling him over on a corner kick).

Every so often, when somebody sends a message, things escalate to pushing and whatnot, and I've been a part of those...but never any actual punches.

None, because I'm not an idiot.

Theres plenty of idiots out there though, and most of them can find a reason to fight you even if it is a bs reason.

Once, at school. I dropped my locker key and a ginger kid (who was always being a git to everyone) stood on it and wouldn't move, so I punched him in the face and grabbed it while he was on the floor. He got back up and shoved me into the lockers, but it was pretty weak. I kicked him in the knee and pushed him over again, but then a teacher came by. I didn't get in trouble, because everyone else who was nearby stuck up for me - they hated the little scrote as well.

What, you couldn't have just pushed him off of the key? ;)

And remember, hits below the belt = :nono:

Top Bottom