1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How many have played this series since Civ 1?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Danielos, Mar 8, 2010.

?

When did you start to play Civilization?

1. Civilization 1

302 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. Civilization 2

100 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Call to Power-series

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Civilization 3

56 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Civilization 4

37 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. I haven´t started yet, maybe with Civ 5!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I was actually looking for another computer game, one about simulating the Earth's development. It was to be my first compouter game. It wasn't in stock, and the guy in the shop suggested Civ instead. I was hooked at once.

I was surprised to see what a huge segment of those who voted have been around from the beginning.

Edit: A thread like this is probably more interesting to oldtimers than to others.

2. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

To me, the settler unit in Civ I looked like a rabbit that was jumping up and down. When it was improving something, it looked like a sleeping rabbit with huge teeth.

3. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I always thought that the catapults in Civ 1 looked like vacuum cleaners. :p

4. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

One curiosity that irritated me a bit was that diplomats and barbarian chieftains looked just the same, except for the colour.

5. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Ah, the barbarians and pirates of Civ 1 were suitably blood-red! They were really nasty too. They attacked coastal cities as well and made naval invasions. What a glorious menace...

6. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

I started with civ1 :)

First time I opened the game I thought it was aweful. Everything black but a few squares, what the hell....

Then I couldn't stop playing.

7. Cronos

Cronos Chieftain

Yes thankyou for your understanding! Civ 1 for me on my parents trusty old 386. Discovering the civ franchise was a profound moment in my life. Thankyou sid! It was one of the first games I ever played. Along with

What a Golden era in gaming. I discovered civ in '93, sim city, xcom, x-wing, the ancient art of war, kings quest, hero quest, return to zork, syndicate, dune II & day of the tentacle. good times! Strange thing is pretty much all those games ideas still exist today, just in a more refined format.

8. kivanc

kivanc King

Am i misunderstood here? I didn't get you. I was mentioning an exact comparison. I graduated from university and i remember i could play civ much more during in univ years.
    even if college students don't play during the year, still they can play in summer vacation maybe, which I don't have much now.

In Turkey, most guys work 50weeks a year (except a few rel/nat holidays) when you have worked for 5 years, you get 3 weeks of vacation instead of 2 and it increases such slowly. This is the std. Some have even less than this and some few may have more vacation.

elders mostly spend their limited time by playing rather than posting.

9. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

started playing civ with civ 2 series back in 1997. 13 years after, here I am! certified civ addict! :crazyeye: cant wait to put my hands on ciV. :eek::eek::eek:

10. AlphaShard

AlphaShard Emperor

I remember playing Civ I not on amiga but on a Packard 486. Remember the days when a 40mb Hard drive was a big deal? Now we got Terrabyte hard drives. :eek:

I remember partying every time my city would have a We love the Ruler day and play Ode to Joy.

11. xmen510

xmen510 Emperor

Ah... Ode to Joy... Good memories!

12. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

'One more turn...' -philosophy has been part of my life ever since the Civilization 1 and Railroad Tycoon were released. I think I've enjoyed all Sid Meier's games for over half of my life and at this rate I doubt I'll ever stop playing his games (or modding which seems to be almost as addictive...). :)

13. Steve the Noble

Steve the Noble Noble

I remember playing Civ I into the late hours of the night... with PC speaker sounds. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

I must say that this poll has really surprised me, though of course it's probably not a perfect representation of the whole CFC user base. Over 60% started with Civ 1? I would never have guessed that. It's also interesting that hardly anyone started with Call To Power.

15. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Hard Drive? We do not even have "Jumpdrives" that small

16. Majic

Majic Warlord

If I remember right, I always played Civ 1 as Aztecs on earth with 4 players, all alone in america with russia, zulu and england(?) fighting over euroafroasia. Always played on chieftian and watched bigeyed while an older friend played on warlord. I was like 9 and my friend 13 maybe. Those were the days.

Somehow I found it fun running over phalanxes with my armor units. Was too scared to move up a level for som competition. =P

17. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

No kidding. You really had to fear naval invasions. However, if you had enough $$$ you could always bribe the barbarian sail, kill off the barbs and random the leader to get some of the $$$ back. It was a good deal. :D

18. Decius

Decius Chieftain

Civ I in 1992. I played it on a 386.

Before that was the board game. I played that on the floor.:lol:

19. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

:old:played since Civ1 (on 1MB, 16MHz 286, yeah!) looking forward to the hex-wars to come, Oooh I will love those :D

20. Cronos

Cronos Chieftain

Sorry Camarilla, for clarity, I agree with you. I don't really have the time to play civ and read boards and do much posting either, compared with the free gaming time I had back in 1993-1997. As my 15 posts in 7 years would attest...

So I think Camarilla and I are both saying that while there are plenty of gamers who don't have the free time to vote on every poll and post regularly, they are still out there...lurking..