How many have played this series since Civ 1?

When did you start to play Civilization?

• Civilization 1

Votes: 302 60.4%
  • Civilization 2

Votes: 100 20.0%
  • Call to Power-series

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Civilization 3

Votes: 56 11.2%
  • Civilization 4

Votes: 37 7.4%
  • I haven´t started yet, maybe with Civ 5!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Played all of them. Mostly Civ 1-2 and 4.
SMAC had quite a lot of my attention, and I keep reinstalling it once in a while.

I first played Civ 1, interestingly enough, on Super Nintendo back on the early 1990's. The local video store had it for rent and it looked interesting so I rented it and the rest is history! :) I've played Civ 2-4 on PC's, though.

I started with the Civilization board game, with its expansion to Advanced Civilization. On weekends in college we would have marathon 24-hour games with 6 players (the max). It was awesome!

Sid has admitted to borrowing a lot of ideas for his computer game from that original board game.

SO, I think this is relevant to the topic at hand. :)

I played that a lot back in the day too. I was a board war gamer from way back, Civilization was great fun but it's lack of a combat/conquest system was vexing to me :)

A navy buddy introduced it to me when we were on leave in 1992. We stayed up all night to beat it, then went to dennys for some grand slams. Been hooked ever since, played Civ 1 when they ported it to SNES. Then had civ2, SMAC & CTP thru college. I found this site when I heard the rumors of civ3 in 2001. Been here ever since. Now I PBEM cIV with that navy buddy from time to time.

Looking back easily $240 spent on the series.

Worth every damn penny for how much entertainment I have gotten out of it. (hell, I propably spent 240 hours on civ1 alone)

Can't wait for ciV

SMAC had quite a lot of my attention, and I keep reinstalling it once in a while.

I tried doing that a few years back and it bombed repeatedly, How may I ask did you get it to run? On what type of system? Did you get some type of update?

PS love your avatar, Black Mage rules!! Stabbity!!

Civ 1 back when it first came out. 1990 - First year of High School!

I remember the grand sense of satisfaction at finally beating it at Emperor level after a year (years ?) of gameplay :)

And then Civ 2 came out and totally blew away Civ 1's gameplay. Awesome !

20 years of civving for me :)

Edit: my memory must be slipping in my old age. Wikipedia shows the release date as 1991. So 20 years next year!

I used to boot up CivII on my old MS-DOS capable 95 (AS WELL AS Panzer General :))

Sure, I was only ~6 at the time, but that didn't matter. I had a blast and loved the game to death.

Civ 1 back when it first came out. 1990 - First year of High School!

I remember the grand sense of satisfaction at finally beating it at Emperor level after a year (years ?) of gameplay :)

And then Civ 2 came out and totally blew away Civ 1's gameplay. Awesome !

20 years of civving for me :)

Edit: my memory must be slipping in my old age. Wikipedia shows the release date as 1991. So 20 years next year!

I was really surprised by the number of current Civ-players that grew up on Civ 1. :eek: Fun that so many other old farts have stayed loyal and commited to this series... :goodjob:

I was really surprised by the number of current Civ-players that grew up on Civ 1. :eek: Fun that so many other old farts have stayed loyal and commited to this series... :goodjob:

Prior to Civ 1 all the computer games I had played were on the C64. Yeah, that old! (Nah not really). Anyway, Civ was the game that hooked me forever on TBS. All my gaming choices after that were either TBS or RPGs.

I still remember the hoopla that Wolfenstein made when it came out. FPS genre was born and stole the thunder from strategy gaming. Now all the latest and greatest are FPSs. It mainstreamed computer gaming. :(

Hopefully Elemental: WOM and Civ5 will resurrect the TBS genre for a new generation of strategy gamers :)

I tried doing that a few years back and it bombed repeatedly, How may I ask did you get it to run? On what type of system? Did you get some type of update?
It was under XP with Service Pack 2, and I didn't had any problems. Right now I got Win 7 installed and never tried to run SMAC on it yet.

PS love your avatar, Black Mage rules!! Stabbity!!
Hadoken!!1
Though really this is FMV screensshot from FFIX, and Vivi is very kind and cute little boy. With full arsenal of Black Mage powers.

I'm playing Civ 1 right now on DosBox. Version 4.

I think I fell in love with the game around 1994-5. I would have gotten it sooner but had to wait for war in my country to stop. War sucks, you don't get to have electricity under siege.

I'm playing Civ 1 right now on DosBox. Version 4.

I think I fell in love with the game around 1994-5. I would have gotten it sooner but had to wait for war in my country to stop. War sucks, you don't get to have electricity under siege.

Yes, only the war in computer games are fun. Real wars are horrible. So you are from former Yugoslavia, I presume?

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Dubrovnik

The city luckily already had city walls in place and tile north of city is a hill with a fort bult on top of it. A civfanatic would think that having a mine is more productive than fort but there you have it. The opposing army had a vast number of units ready but they decided to put down cultural defenses first. This took too many turns and we drafted infantry (my father also was drafted) each turn and then some reinforcements came... :)

Voted Civ2 because it was the first game I played properly, played around a little with Civ1 without understanding it I think, but didn't actually accomplish anything in game before Civilization 2.

I also own every Civ game that has come out since, I even have the CtP games.

Exactly the same! Except that i never played CTP.

i started playing Civilization 1 on the Amiga, the rest followed over the years on the PC :king:

I played every Civ-game and their expansions religiously (1,2,ToT,3,4) and most of the spin-offs (Col, SMAC/X, CTP, CTP2). Also, I've bought every game in the main series at least twice. And I will buy Civ5 and its expansions. Perhaps twice as well.

i started playing Civilization 1 on the Amiga, the rest followed over the years on the PC :king:

this is usual for most of us :)

during each lesson, me and my desk mate were drawing maps on our notebook and telling where we landed chariots in enemy land

we used to give our 4000BC save files to each other in amiga floppy disks and play seperately and then tell what happened. just a simple kind of some threads in this forum like lonely hearts etc

Civ 1 on an IBM PS/2. Worked up to emperor and have played all on the hardest level since including SMAC. CTP doesn't count because it isn't Civ.

I played the Civ 3 demo for like 10 minutes. (but then i had to leave, and when i came back my demo time had expired :()

So my first proper Civ game was IV

Who, me?
I started with Civ 2. Played that one into the dirt.
Looking at the poll, I'm a little surprised how Civ 1 is running away with the result. I mean, it was 20 years ago. I was too young to play Civ 1. Where's the under-25 crowd?

Top Bottom