how many planets? seeding? what?

Fabio1701

King
I'm trying to get something straight because it's not clear to me from all the interviews and talk on the forum.

1) Is there going to be only one planet this game is on, like SMAC?

2) Will it be alpha centauri or just "a generic nearby star system", or a named one?
(There are indeed a few to choose from: http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/extra/nearest.html)

3) Will there by more than one planet you colonize? Like some kinda galciv? What is this Seeding thing?

1) Is there going to be only one planet this game is on, like SMAC?

I believe everything we've seen points to just one planet per game. The settings for the planet will be customizable, such as what sort of biome it supports and how aggressive the local fauna (and flora?) are.

2) Will it be alpha centauri or just "a generic nearby star system", or a named one?
(There are indeed a few to choose from: http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/extra/nearest.html)

I believe it won't be Alpha Centauri (don't think that's been made explicit, but implied). As for name, I don't think we've seen anything but presumably you could name the planet if they never reference the planet's name in the audio files.

3) Will there by more than one planet you colonize? Like some kinda galciv?

As above, pretty sure it's just one. Some early interviews seemed confused on this because they mentioned colonizing different planets, but it seems very likely that they mean that between games, the (one) planet you colonize could be very different. Not that you'll colonize multiple planets in the same game.

What is this Seeding thing?

Seeding refers to the pre-game setup. Who you play as and your sponsor (may be linked, maybe not; nothing explicit stated AFAIK), what cargo you bring on your ship, etc.

By the looks of it, it's pretty much certain that the game will take place on a single planet, but there may a random element as to how that is created. Meaning different flora, fauna and name etc. for each one. It definitely won't be Alpha Centauri as that would step on EA's copyright toes.

Only one planet? So what is with some interviews saying you get an entire planet to yourself?

This just puts a downer on the whole game tbh.

This just puts a downer on the whole game tbh.

First, the time frame between the first ship arriving and the second ship will most likely be only a few turns.

Second, I'm 99.99% sure they will give you the option to make everyone start simultaneously.

First, the time frame between the first ship arriving and the second ship will most likely be only a few turns.

Second, I'm 99.99% sure they will give you the option to make everyone start simultaneously.

I thought I read anywhere from 20-50 turns before the first opponent lands. They do receive a bonus though to catch up to you quickly. Honestly, I'm not sure what the point is of this mechanic of opponents arriving later. I guess getting free reign on ruins and first choice of settlement spots will be nice. Build order will almost always be Scout-Scout, regardless of map size or type, to grab as many ruins as possible before the AI even shows up.

I would be curious how it's handled in MP though.

I read the same range, 20-50 turns. I guess they're trying to emphasize the early exploration and interaction with the environment for the human player, but it is an odd mechanic. I assume this will only be for single-player, as I can't imagine that human players are going to be willing to watch other people play for 50 turns.

Wait, so why this gap? Why can't it just be all factions starting on the planet from turn 1, like SMAC? Maybe it's a difficulty feature, e.g. on easy, you get a 20 turn headstart, on hard, the AI get a 20 turn headstart.

I believe everything we've seen points to just one planet per game. The settings for the planet will be customizable, such as what sort of biome it supports and how aggressive the local fauna (and flora?) are.

You left out Earth.

Wait, so why this gap? Why can't it just be all factions starting on the planet from turn 1, like SMAC? Maybe it's a difficulty feature, e.g. on easy, you get a 20 turn headstart, on hard, the AI get a 20 turn headstart.

I don't think it is a difficulty feature, I read somewhere that they really want to give you that isolated feeling for a while, real pioneer stuff. U like that as in a cup game I am often most happy in those isolated first few turns thinking I am the only one out there.

It's possible communication is instantaneous when the other faction arrives. Essentially, you get to be isolated only until that moment and their arrival breaks the silence.

Top Bottom