How much do you chop in the early game?

I don't fully understand the logic behind that. I find myself chopping riverside grassland first to build cottages on those tiles, or chopping in a way that maximizes the possibility of forest growth. Forested hills have no significant use in my book.

Well naturally the river ones get chopped first. But was thinking of plains hills unless I forgot and they can't grow there.Though I guess you would rather use the mine.

Well naturally the river ones get chopped first. But was thinking of plains hills unless I forgot and they can't grow there.Though I guess you would rather use the mine.
Plains hills can generate riverside. I had a couple in my capital last game.

To me, leaving them forested only robs you of a hammer. These tiles are great very early for pushing out a bunch of spawn busters or speeding up an early EXP worker or IMP settler pre-Bronze working. But once you have BW and finished improved resource tiles, I'd rather have a mined plains hill than an unimproved forested one. Plains flatlands with forest provide better production than if chopped. Later on when workshops get good bonuses or when I need to farm that plains to spread irrigation is when I chop these. That's with the caveat that there is no inherent need to chop sooner than later.

Top Bottom