How one stop being a flipfloper

I think its good to change your mind in a debate rather than stubbornly follow your initial thoughts and ignore someone else's ideas and reasons. But in politics, its probably best to stick with something, otherwise you wont get any votes at all.

First of all, Kerry did not flip-flop - the much publicised issue was one where he voted against one funding bill, but because he disagreed with some of the terms in it. Meanwhile he voted in favour of another bill. That's how Congress works - you don't voted for one single issue at a time, you vote for a whole set (remember the "paper clip" Simpsons episode?).

As to this topic, I must say, I'd be asking the complete opposite: When someone changes their opinion when presented with evidence or argument, that is something to be respected! All too often, on forums like these it's just the same old debates with the same people sticking to their same opinions. That's normal, and it's hardly something difficult to do. When someone is convinced to change their mind, that's a very rare and wonderful moment.

SomethingWitty said:
You really think of Kerry?

Because every time I hear "flip-flopping" I keep thinking of hypocracy and the Republican party.
And I think of flippases. :blush:
Spoiler :
FLIPPASE: A general term that refers to a protein, or protein complex, that facilitates the energetically unfavourable movement of the polar head group of a phospholipid or glycosphingolipid through the hydrophobic interior of a membrane.

And those kinds of shoes, specifically a memory-picture of my old ones. :scan: :lol:

Simple, accuse others as being flip-floppers! Then your flip-floppity antics won't be noticed!much

CivGeneral said:
Certanly this is an issue that many people have struggled with. What I am wondering is how can a person stop being a flipfloper and stand their ground on certan issues.
It's pretty much impossible.

There are certain core values that almost every person values absolutely. You, for example, are both religious and strongly anti-Bush. You must have both of those. I know that from your posts. Anyone challenges you on either, you fire back.

What happens when those two values of yours come into conflict? It must happen eventually (maybe it already has, in a thread I didn't read).

Any moral value any person has can be overshadowed by another. Terrorism, for example. One minute, life is paramount, and we demand that the government stop ALL terrorist acts. Government responds with the Patriot Act, then we suddenly start thinking life isn't worth the freedoms lost.

In the real world, it's pretty much impossible to survive on only one moral value. Survival requires compromising and developing a balance amongst several values. This cannot be done without paddling the figurative canoe in different directions in order to adapt.

So don't worry about it. :)

@ Basketcase

I don't agree with you much, but I agree with the above.

Perfection said:
It's quite easy. Just agree unquestionably with whatever I say. My views are fairly stable, so if you do that, you won't flip-flop.
Alternatively, just disagree with Perfection on everything. That ought to work just as well...

Top Bottom