How quickly do cities regenerate health now?

wastecan

Chieftain
I was just playing a game with the new patch and noticed that Thebes (Egyptian Capital) was recovering 4 points per turn. I tried to look up how quickly cities recover and cannot find any mention in neither the manual nor the patch notes.

Any help?

Seems like 4 hps/turn is a lot...

I think the fast healing rate of cities is flawed. It should be slow especially when under attack. However cities should have higher strength so that it takes longer to be taken down rather than blitzing the cities.

Or you could play correctly and bring more than just one siege weapon to try to take down a heavily-fortified city with a castle.

Or you could play correctly and bring more than just one siege weapon to try to take down a heavily-fortified city with a castle.
Yeah ! Bring tons of sieges & longswords and then Blitzkrieg the city in the most historical fasion. :rolleyes:
Seriously they need to think about this. Classical & Medieval warfare should feel right. It doesn't make sense that a city recovers over-night ready to fight again. Cities should be more powerful, they should take time to be taken down but they should not heal so quickly.

Yeah ! Bring tons of sieges & longswords and then Blitzkrieg the city in the most historical fasion. :rolleyes:
Seriously they need to think about this. Classical & Medieval warfare should feel right. It doesn't make sense that a city recovers over-night ready to fight again. Cities should be more powerful, they should take time to be taken down but they should not heal so quickly.

They did nerf pretty heavily the walls/castles etc... I mean if you can't do at minimum 5 damage per turn late game to a city... You probably shouldn't be able to take that city.

They did nerf pretty heavily the walls/castles etc... I mean if you can't do at minimum 5 damage per turn late game to a city... You probably shouldn't be able to take that city.
That nerf was unneeded in my opinion. They need to slightly change the mechanics. Why not walls increasing city strength by 25% or something but you don't get absurd healing bonuses for building them. ;)
The healing is really problematic earlier in the game due to limited production, gold & strategic resources. Later on you can just spam artillery placed in secure places for attacking cities & use some highly promoted infantry to protect them from harm.

That nerf was unneeded in my opinion. They need to slightly change the mechanics. Why not walls increasing city strength by 25% or something but you don't get absurd healing bonuses for building them. ;)
The healing is really problematic earlier in the game due to limited production, gold & strategic resources. Later on you can just spam artillery placed in secure places for attacking cities & use some highly promoted infantry to protect them from harm.

I found the nerfs fairly justified. They made it so that if you use a melee unit that is age appropriate you should be able to do between 4-5 damage to it if not more. Where as before, you often ended up in situations where the only reasonable way to take a city was to 1 dmg poke it to death. If you look at Maddjin China LP, there's a point in the game where both him and his opponent were in Medieval, but his only option to take cities reasonably was to 1 dmg poke it to death with CKN. Since anything else attacking would have been a costly attack.

The healing is only absurd if you brought next to nothing to actually take the city. Playing last night I could take a city just fine with 1-2 melee units mixed in with 1-2 ranged.

Overnight? Turns are 5-20 years in that stage of the game. If realism was the goal, a city that wasn't taken in a single turn would fully recover. Wars would never last more then a few turns, and units would be able to travel almost the whole planet in a turn.

Umm, it isn't. There are several years in between turns. Notice that unfortified cities still don't heal that fast. Again, not my fault if you don't know to bring more than one gun to a gunfight.

Cities are way too strong. I mean just look at the AI's feeble attempts to take them. I can withstand huge warrior rushes early game with just my starting warrior. The bombard and attack option from the city is too powerful and unrealistic. Your main source of damage should come from storming the city, not being hit by arrows and stones during a siege around it. They need to fix this so the AI can do better choices, because now it's plainly a mess.

Cities are way too strong. I mean just look at the AI's feeble attempts to take them. I can withstand huge warrior rushes early game with just my starting warrior. The bombard and attack option from the city is too powerful and unrealistic. Your main source of damage should come from storming the city, not being hit by arrows and stones during a siege around it. They need to fix this so the AI can do better choices, because now it's plainly a mess.

Your first sentence doesn't begin to match up with the rest of the paragraph. The AI sucks so nerf cities?

FYI - I had six swordsmen and two archers. The castle was built while the city was two turns under siege... and was then unbeatable due to the placement of mountains and hills... so be it. Under more realistic circumstances Thebes would have fallen, but not with the new mechanics.

doesn't the capital get a healing bonus? I've always seen +5 there, but maybe it's because the AI prioritizes defensive buildings in the capital

Overnight? Turns are 5-20 years in that stage of the game. If realism was the goal, a city that wasn't taken in a single turn would fully recover. Wars would never last more then a few turns, and units would be able to travel almost the whole planet in a turn.
You took 'over-night' literally. :D What I was trying to say was that the nature of capturing cities should be changed from blitz to gradual progress. This would have following benefits :-
  • More time for defender to set up defences according to the situation.
  • As this game is turn-based so the attacker who brings multiple units won't capture a city instantly (that is possible right now).
  • Sieges would feel more realistic while not sacrificing gameplay. Giving a chance to both sides.
  • Attacker has to place his troops carefully so that defender don't bring reinforcements. This will add more depth.

FYI - I had six swordsmen and two archers. The castle was built while the city was two turns under siege... and was then unbeatable due to the placement of mountains and hills... so be it. Under more realistic circumstances Thebes would have fallen, but not with the new mechanics.

If you're using archers to take a city on a hill that already had walls around it, you messed up somewhere.

Umm, it isn't. There are several years in between turns. Notice that unfortified cities still don't heal that fast. Again, not my fault if you don't know to bring more than one gun to a gunfight.
I once brought about 3-4 cannons, 2 conquistadors & 2 Tericos & it was really difficult to hurt Aztec Capital city (walls & castle constructed) defended only by a Treb & nothing more (prepatch). The point is that cities should defend themselves well but they should just buy you time so you bring your army to wipe off the invaders. It doesn't make sense that a city starving with no proper army support can fend of superior armed invaders with a decent sized experienced professional army.

I once brought about 3-4 cannons, 2 conquistadors & 2 Tericos & it was really difficult to hurt Aztec Capital city (walls & castle constructed) defended only by a Treb & nothing more (prepatch). The point is that cities should defend themselves well but they should just buy you time so you bring your army to wipe off the invaders. It doesn't make sense that a city starving with no proper army support can fend of superior armed invaders with a decent sized experienced professional army.

I'm starting to question if we're playing the same game, because if I had four cannons, I would have no problems taking down a city. The few times where I truly had problem cracking a city just resulted in me pillaging everything I could and signing a peace that resulted in crippling the AI anyway.

I'm starting to question if we're playing the same game, because if I had four cannons, I would have no problems taking down a city. The few times where I truly had problem cracking a city just resulted in me pillaging everything I could and signing a peace that resulted in crippling the AI anyway.

I forgot to tell that the city was surrounded by lots of jungles so placing cannons was not that easy.

Top Bottom