How should I go about getting a laptop?

None. Laptops reaaaally aren't built for being heat efficient. You could get a really good laptop cooler, ensure there's some space on all sides of the laptop (even the bottom), get one with specs so high that it never strains except on the big games... But you'll never get a heaven situation with a CPU that never goes above 60 like with a PC.

Right, of course. But I often don't play very long, and some laptops should have better cooling than others. What are these cooler laptops?

Don't bother with something specific for gaming for $600. You'll get something heavier, slower, hotter, with worse build-quality, shorter battery life and a worse quality screen just for some extra GPU power.

Just get the best laptop at the price, count any games that work on it as a bonus.

Best Buy or online are all pretty competitive for low-end laptops.

If you're in the USA I like the Lenovo Outlet, Lenovo laptops tend to be excellent for their price, and you get some great deals through the Outlet. Stock varies pretty much daily though, and there currently doesn't appear to be anything good in the $600 range.

Right, of course. But I often don't play very long, and some laptops should have better cooling than others. What are these cooler laptops?
IIRC Asus' gaming laptops are known for their cooling, but you pay a premium for it compared to Lenovo's line.

It's rather hard to use and transport a desktop computer while serving in the military. Really, a laptop is my only option for the next few years.

Someday I'll just buy a $10,000 PC and never worry again.

Something like this will probably be about the best you can get specs-wise, given the budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314383

intel dual-core and a R7 M265 (a notch above the GT820m)

That's pretty good for $600. It's better than the one Zack linked in post #15 - the CPU is the same, and for the $20 difference, you get the dedicated Radeon R7 M265, which is roughly 2.5 times as powerful as the integrated Intel graphics on the Toshiba in post #15. I doubt you'll find too much better than that.

AMD did just release some new processors with pretty impressive integrated graphics this week, however. So if you don't need it immediately, it may be worth waiting to see what those go for.

The particular CPU model to watch for the is FX-7600P. It's quite a bit more powerful than Intel's integrated graphics in this price range (HD 4400) - about 250% as powerful in graphics performance, which would also put it just a little bit above the R7 M265 dedicated card in the laptop tokala linked to.

The CPU performance is not bad, either. It's nearly as powerful as AMD's top-end desktop CPU (A10-6850) from last year, and will outperform the i5-4200U in multithreaded tasks. In single-threaded ones, the Intel will still win sometimes, but unlike before, it won't win every time. Power use would be higher than the Intel, but by losing the dedicated graphics card overall power use probably will be slightly lower, especially in heavy use. AMD has said there may be laptops with this CPU and an SSD for $700, so if you leave out the SSD, $600 may happen.

Looks pretty good. Within $1000 too.

That's pretty good for $600. It's better than the one Zack linked in post #15 - the CPU is the same, and for the $20 difference, you get the dedicated Radeon R7 M265, which is roughly 2.5 times as powerful as the integrated Intel graphics on the Toshiba in post #15. I doubt you'll find too much better than that.

Just a note if you decide to get this one Mouthwash, once you unbox it check the graphics immediately. Newegg is known (at least in my experience) to ship the models with just the integrated graphics when you purchase the model with the dedicated card.

I got a Toshiba E55-A from Best Buy with an Intel core (I5-4200U) and 6 GB of RAM. There's a 64-bit operating system (Windows 8.1) and a x64-based processor. It wasn't even $600 dollars. Is that worth it? My previous computer had 8 GB with an I5-2430m core.

The problem is, it seems to render the stuff you do incredibly slowly. So, if I mouse over a program or search for something it takes a good few seconds for it to even show. This gives you the impression that it freezes, but the actions I take are done at a proper speed. However, it only happens in the desktop mode. The "tablet" interface works completely normally. Is this is a software or hardware issue?

EDIT: Oh, and popups that appear when you right-click text are showing up transparent. I can't see the options.

EDIT2: Problem appears to have resolved itself.

What happened to your previous laptop, if I might ask?

Bad virus, low disk space, outdatedness in general.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...6895&skuId=3336005&st=Toshiba E55-A&cp=1&lp=1

It looks quite decent for the price and you have a full HD desktop but the integrated graphics are going to be quite the limiting factor when it comes to gaming. Do you plan on using the laptop primarily for gaming? If so it might have been better to capitalize on a dedicated graphics card at the expense of top desktop resolution.

I'll get a graphics card separately. I'm thinking about this one, though I'll try to find it on eBay or something.

I got a Toshiba E55-A from Best Buy with an Intel core (I5-4200U) and 6 GB of RAM. There's a 64-bit operating system (Windows 8.1) and a x64-based processor. It wasn't even $600 dollars. Is that worth it? My previous computer had 8 GB with an I5-2430m core.

The problem is, it seems to render the stuff you do incredibly slowly. So, if I mouse over a program or search for something it takes a good few seconds for it to even show. This gives you the impression that it freezes, but the actions I take are done at a proper speed. However, it only happens in the desktop mode. The "tablet" interface works completely normally. Is this is a software or hardware issue?

EDIT: Oh, and popups that appear when you right-click text are showing up transparent. I can't see the options.

The graphics will be about 50% faster than your previous system. The same will probably be slightly slower, perhaps 5%, but will use considerably less power. The memory difference shouldn't make a big difference, and you may be able to transfer the RAM from the old system to the new one to cancel that out.

Whether it's worth, is up to you. The amount of upgrade for the price isn't great, but the 50% GPU increase may be enough to get quite a few more games playable.

The issues you are describing do sound odd, though. It sounds to me like either a driver issue or a hardware issue. I've run Windows 8.1 in a VM, and the responsiveness was always fine on the desktop, and the right-click options were visible. It doesn't sound normal, in other words.

I'll get a graphics card separately. I'm thinking about this one, though I'll try to find it on eBay or something.
That's a desktop graphics card, it won't work. Why didn't you just buy a more expensive laptop if you're willing to spend $170 on a separate graphics card? :crazyeye:

In general you can't upgrade the graphics card in a laptop, the card you linked to needs a PCIe x16 slot in your motherboard.

Bad virus, low disk space, outdatedness in general.

That graphics card's physical space is about two/thirds the total space of that laptop.

Fine, I'll return it.

If you are happy with it there is no need to return it unless you bought it with the assumption that you could upgrade the graphics card.

Top Bottom