How to launch the ingame worldbuilder

How can i load the "giant earth map" that i edited and saved with Live Turner ? can't figur it out ?

I'm unclear if anyone has gotten custom maps actually loaded as a playable game because after messing with maps I never could and it usually crashes and the load menu doesn't show up until after restarting unless you edit maps again.

However I did get a custom map loaded via the custom rulesets. I copied the multiplayer and tutorials scenario techniques.

For others to follow along I created a folder called TZ under My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods and put the 2 files below in spoiler area and the map called TZ.Civ6map which was in Saves\WorldBuilder.
Spoiler :

Files:
mods/TZ/TZ.modinfo
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="FC885C5B-DF9B-441B-8F6D-B009CAA0D003" version="1">
   <Properties>
       <Name>LOC_MOD_TITLE</Name>
       <Teaser>LOC_MOD_TEASER</Teaser>
       <Description>LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION</Description>
       <Authors>LOC_MOD_AUTHORS</Authors>
   </Properties>
   <Settings>
       <Map id="TZ_MAP">
           <Properties>
               <Group>TZ_Maps</Group>
               <Name>LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME</Name>
               <Description>LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION</Description>
           </Properties>
           <Items>
               <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
           </Items>
       </Map>
       <Custom id="TZ_SETTINGS">
           <Items>
               <File>TZ_Config.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </Custom>   
   </Settings>
   <LocalizedText>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TITLE"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TEASER"><en_US>A simple test.</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>This is a basic test</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_AUTHORS"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME"><en_US>TZ Map</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>A basic test</en_US></Text>
   </LocalizedText>
   <Files>
       <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
   </Files>
</Mod>
Notes: I generated a new mod id just because everyone should to maintain uniqueness.

mods/TZ/TZ_Config.xml
Code:
<GameInfo>
   <RuleSets>
       <Row>
           <RuleSetType>RULESET_TZ</RuleSetType>
           <Name>TZ</Name>
           <Description>TZ Description</Description>
           <SupportsMultiPlayer>0</SupportsMultiPlayer>
       </Row>
   </RuleSets>
   <RulesetDomainOverrides>
       <Row Ruleset="RULESET_TZ" ParameterId="Map" Domain="TZ_Maps" />
   </RulesetDomainOverrides>
</GameInfo>
Now start Civ6. Goto Mods. Enable TZ. Back. Single Player. Create Game. Advanced Setup.

Now select TZ from under Ruleset instead of TZ. Now Map shows up without localized text but is LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME but dont care at the moment since that looks close. Starting will load the customized map. Not sure if it uses the other things like difficulty or game speed or number of players.

I was also able to override the player start location to a desired location rather than random. You can change the player 1 location by setting that with the map editor. I don't think Players are set in advance but city-states are. You might have to set all player positions for this to work.

Edit: Regarding Firetuner. I had to do more steps than what has been explained here so will give probably equally brief and useless guide. 1. Download Civ 5 SDK from Steam Tools. 2. Run SDK. Select FireTuner. Start Civ6. Leave in top menu. Select *New Panel*. Select Mods checkbox. Select OK. Select New Control. Select Action Control. Type "OnWorldBuilder()" in Action area. Select Test. >> Should get "Command ran without errors." in Output.

I can confirm that this works! Thanks. After many tests you need to have enough starting positions as there are player's set in the world builder or it will crash at the loading screen.

Last edited:
Sorry I got confused! What is a TZ map? is it a small, tiny or standard world map?
You can save any map in the World Builder and rename it to TZ.Civ6map. Place that file in the TZ mod folder and it will load when you use the TZ ruleset when setting up a new game.

TZ.Civ6map is just the filename referenced by the mod.

Did anyone encountered problem with disappearing rivers?
When I create map in World Builder and add river it looks fine.
But when I load it in game (using taznp314 method) rivers I added dissapear from normal view while still being visible in strategic view. All bonuses river should provide are still in place.

I know this is not right place for this question, but currently it is only reliable thread on world builder and keeping all questions in one place seems like good idea for me.

Last edited:
Rivers I've placed stuck. For what its worth, I needed to use a customized WorldBuilder.ltp panel that loaded the appropriate lua code so it wouldn't throw a million errors. But the river placement worked and shows up in both strategic and normal view. Does it always happen or was it just a one time thing.

Most of the trouble I've been having is trying to manually place natural wonders. I cannot even remove some and put them back where they were. Seems like in some cases the underlying tile has to be a specific type like plains or desert which is reasonable but some are strange like the Great Barrior Reef which I dont understand its rules as it only works on some coasts. I also had to write a custom screen to find player starting positions because that was just outright painful.

I've got this to work as far as loading maps and setting the human player's start location, but is anyone else having problems with multiple city states spawning actually or nearly on top of each other? It seems to happen whether or not I assign city state starting locations. And, when I do assign them, the specifically assigned city state does not always start there, so I might assign Kandy's starting location, but then get Rio there instead; or Rio and Hattusa starting on that same tile.

I'm unclear if anyone has gotten custom maps actually loaded as a playable game because after messing with maps I never could and it usually crashes and the load menu doesn't show up until after restarting unless you edit maps again.

However I did get a custom map loaded via the custom rulesets. I copied the multiplayer and tutorials scenario techniques.

For others to follow along I created a folder called TZ under My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods and put the 2 files below in spoiler area and the map called TZ.Civ6map which was in Saves\WorldBuilder.
Spoiler :

Files:
mods/TZ/TZ.modinfo
Code:
<Mod id="FC885C5B-DF9B-441B-8F6D-B009CAA0D003" version="1">
   <Properties>
       <Name>LOC_MOD_TITLE</Name>
       <Teaser>LOC_MOD_TEASER</Teaser>
       <Description>LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION</Description>
       <Authors>LOC_MOD_AUTHORS</Authors>
   </Properties>
   <Settings>
       <Map id="TZ_MAP">
           <Properties>
               <Group>TZ_Maps</Group>
               <Name>LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME</Name>
               <Description>LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION</Description>
           </Properties>
           <Items>
               <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
           </Items>
       </Map>
       <Custom id="TZ_SETTINGS">
           <Items>
           </Items>
       </Custom>    
   </Settings>
   <LocalizedText>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TITLE"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TEASER"><en_US>A simple test.</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>This is a basic test</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_AUTHORS"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME"><en_US>TZ Map</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>A basic test</en_US></Text>
   </LocalizedText>
   <Files>
       <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
   </Files>
</Mod>
Notes: I generated a new mod id just because everyone should to maintain uniqueness.

mods/TZ/TZ_Config.xml
Code:
<GameInfo>
   <RuleSets>
       <Row>
           <RuleSetType>RULESET_TZ</RuleSetType>
           <Name>TZ</Name>
           <Description>TZ Description</Description>
           <SupportsMultiPlayer>0</SupportsMultiPlayer>
       </Row>
   </RuleSets>
   <RulesetDomainOverrides>
       <Row Ruleset="RULESET_TZ" ParameterId="Map" Domain="TZ_Maps" />
   </RulesetDomainOverrides>
</GameInfo>
Now start Civ6. Goto Mods. Enable TZ. Back. Single Player. Create Game. Advanced Setup.

Now select TZ from under Ruleset instead of TZ. Now Map shows up without localized text but is LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME but dont care at the moment since that looks close. Starting will load the customized map. Not sure if it uses the other things like difficulty or game speed or number of players.

I was also able to override the player start location to a desired location rather than random. You can change the player 1 location by setting that with the map editor. I don't think Players are set in advance but city-states are. You might have to set all player positions for this to work.

Edit: Regarding Firetuner. I had to do more steps than what has been explained here so will give probably equally brief and useless guide. 1. Download Civ 5 SDK from Steam Tools. 2. Run SDK. Select FireTuner. Start Civ6. Leave in top menu. Select *New Panel*. Select Mods checkbox. Select OK. Select New Control. Select Action Control. Type "OnWorldBuilder()" in Action area. Select Test. >> Should get "Command ran without errors." in Output.

Very small tutorial to launch the in game worldbuilder, it assumes that you know how to use the firetuner from civ5

WARNING: there are reasons why this menu is hidden, I've just tested some placement, I'm not sure if loading/saving works

1/ open AppOptions.txt in "\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI"
2/ find the "EnableTuner 0" line and replace it by "EnableTuner 1"
3/ launch the civ5 firetuner and the civ6 game
4/ go in the "additional content" menu in game
5/ select the "mods" context in the firetuner
6/ type "OnWorldBuilder()" in the firetuner invite then press enter
7/ choose "new map" or "load map" in civ6
8/ select "LOC_MAP_WORLDBUILDER" in the map list for a blank map and start game

Spoiler :

Thank you, Gedemon. I can't get ths done though. Can anyone explain what is meant by "select the mods context in the firetuner"? I don't see it.

Thank you, Gedemon. I can't get ths done though. Can anyone explain what is meant by "select the mods context in the firetuner"? I don't see it.
top left, under "lua console" there ismenu with all active context (IIRC it says "main state" by default), select "Mods" here when you're in the game's main menu.

Excuse me, where? And yes, tuner is set to 1 in appoptions.txt.

Ok, got it. I restarted everything and then it worked. Thanks.

Attachments

• lua.png
    lua.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
I've had problems with rivers as well. Several rivers I edited were fine. I changed the mouth of one very large river system and it caused all of those rivers to disappear in game,

Placement of Natural Wonders has a lot do to with rivers. I've noticed several that cannot be properly placed if a river is adjacent or 1 tile away. They need 2 tiles of space from all rivers apparently. This is in addition to other terrain requirements (such as plains or grassland).

Anyone have other tips for World Builder?

No specific comments on how to use WB since I haven't been spending too much time recently on this but I did post some Tuner pages in another thread (here) that could help people.

The "TZ Mod" is a simple button to start. TZ WB is a custom screen which makes it possible to find player start locations and focus on them in the screen. Useful if you want to change locations. The other worldbuilder screens are the Firaxis ones with scripts inserted to help fix.

Ok so I edited the giant earth map (added an island) from YnAMP and following the instructions on this thread I managed to run it as a new mod but there are some bugs (no great persons, no religion). Is there a way to save the modified map and run it the same way as the original?

To can also enable the WorldBuilder by making one adjustment in the file "<Steam Folder>\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\FrontEnd\Mods.lua":
Code:
if(GameConfiguration.IsAnyMultiplayer() or UI.IsFinalRelease()) then
        Controls.WorldBuilder:SetHide(false); -- Finwickle: changed from true to false
        Controls.BrowseWorkshop:SetHide(true);
    else
        Controls.WorldBuilder:SetHide(false);
        Controls.BrowseWorkshop:SetHide(false);
    end
A WorldBuilder button now appears in the Additional Content menu. Same warning from OP still applies ofcouse.

Hi everybody,

I really enjoy Gedemon and TZ works....
I wanted to play with world/europe map but my pc is not so good.
So I think I need a small map, like 90x60 or similar, and I think I've to do myself.
I'm improving in cartography, but I need some help to make it a mod to play....

So...
I was wondering if it's possibile to create a blank map with WorldBuilder .... WITH WRAP X (to create a europe map).
So that I can start worldbuilder, create the map from zero and put civilization and city state on start position, and then play with TZ mod tool.
I see many problem when you add or change civilization and city state in worldbuilder (it crashes) differently than the original and randomly choosen by system when it creates the map....any idea/suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

Anyone can tell me how or where I download mods/TZ/TZ.modinfo and mods/TZ/TZ_Config.xml please ?

Thanks anyway for your great job !

you can create TZ files by creating two files as new notepad files, renaming them and then putting inside what there's written in this post

To can also enable the WorldBuilder by making one adjustment in the file "<Steam Folder>\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\FrontEnd\Mods.lua":
Code:
if(GameConfiguration.IsAnyMultiplayer() or UI.IsFinalRelease()) then
        Controls.WorldBuilder:SetHide(false); -- Finwickle: changed from true to false
        Controls.BrowseWorkshop:SetHide(true);
    else
        Controls.WorldBuilder:SetHide(false);
        Controls.BrowseWorkshop:SetHide(false);
    end
A WorldBuilder button now appears in the Additional Content menu. Same warning from OP still applies ofcouse.
How would I load a custom map from an LUA?

You can save any map in the World Builder and rename it to TZ.Civ6map. Place that file in the TZ mod folder and it will load when you use the TZ ruleset when setting up a new game.

TZ.Civ6map is just the filename referenced by the mod.
This has been a great guide and I've gotten it to work with your help. I even tried getting the YnAMP to load the Ludicrous Map Size (230x115) with a few edits of my own and it worked. Thank you so much!

So I created a map in world builder, and am trying to use the TZ method. It crashes when trying to load a single player game.

Possible reasons:

Map is set to tiny, but with 6 human player spawn locations. Crashes when I set either 4 or 6 players.

Set map to only include six CS, default is 8. No way to change that back in pregame menu.

EVERYTHING preplaced -- villages, spawn locations, cs spawn locations, multiple copies of galapagos islands, resources, continents for every tile.

Top Bottom