How to launch the ingame worldbuilder

I'm not able to get a randomly generated map that was saved as a custom map to work regardless of rule-sets or modifications of starting positions, etc. :/

Any word on an actual world map builder coming out?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work; the update messed me all up. Talk about bad timing, lmao.

Last edited:
Linked here is a mod called Civ6MapTest with an example Ruleset and map configuration. This allows a player to use the enclosed map that is part of the mod as the map to play on:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rybup8xmpfhuz9y/Civ6MapTest.zip?dl=0

How to use this mod/map:
  1. Unzip the mod and place it into the ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\ folder
  2. Start up Civ6 and at the Main Menu enter the "Additional Content" selection
  3. Once in "Additional Content" enable the mod by ticking the checkbox to the right of the Civ6MapTest mod.
  4. Click the "BACK" button at the top of the "Additional Content" page to return to the game's main menu.
  5. Click "Single Player"
  6. Click "Create Game"
  7. Click "Advanced Setup" directly above the green "Start Game" button
  8. Once in the "Advanced Setup" look on the right-hand side and you will see a list of setable options. The topmost of these is called "Ruleset", and will say "Standard Rules"
    • Click on the down-pointing arrow next to "Standard Rules" and you should see an option to pick the "Map Testing" ruleset.
    • Select the "Map Testing" ruleset and you should see some changes in the available list of advanced setup options.
    • This change verifies that the custom ruleset "Map Testing" is now active. One of these changes is that next to the option for "Map" is now displayed "Trajan Test Map". This means the map from the mod is now selected for play, as I called the map "Trajan Test Map" in the mod's cofiguration and text setup in the xml files.
  9. Trajan ought to be chosen as the default human player at this point
  10. Five AI players should also be selected at this time. Note that for the last of these players you can make different selections. This conforms to the "supported" values stated here in the Lees_Config.xml file:
    Code:
    	<RulesetSupportedValues>
    		<!-- Human Player == Slot # 0 -->
    		<!-- this tells the game which players can be used for which player-slots once the map is selected -->
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="0" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_TRAJAN" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="1" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_T_ROOSEVELT" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="2" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_GORGO" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="3" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_MONTEZUMA" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="4" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_TOMYRIS" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="5" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_SALADIN" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="5" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_PHILIP_II" />
    		<Row Ruleset="RULESET_LEETEST" PlayerId="5" Domain="StandardPlayers" Value="LEADER_HOJO" />
    	</RulesetSupportedValues>
    Note how I have PlayerId="5" stated for three different players.
  11. You will note that there is no way for you to select which CS players are used, nor how many. This is not currently accessible to us.
  12. I would advise not fiddling with the other settings for except for GameSpeed, Difficulty, and whether you want No Barbarians and/or the victory conditions you want. For other maps that you make this will probably not be a needed restriction.
  13. To start play on this map, simply choose "Start Game" at the bottom of the Advanced SetUp page and the game will start and load the map with your adjustments to the allowed settings.

Some Notes on the Mod & Map:
  • I generated this map to start with by letting worldbuilder generate a map and then I edited the map to a bit crazy degree with some pretty imbalanced and not natural conditions. I was more interested in fiddling around with how the worldbuilder works than in balance and the like. Trajan therefore has more than a bit crazy start.
  • If you actually want to try playing on this map be aware it is not the least balanced, heavily favors Trajan, and has only a small number of players even though it is actually a largish map. If you change the "MapSize" in the set-up screen you will get oddball results.
  • I was more interested in experimenting with what will be required to create a scenario, and what the WorldBuilder will let us do than I was in a really balanced map or the like

Also note that when I have been creating maps to play on I have been selecting the "New Map" and one of the regular map-types like "Continents" to generate a pre-made map. You then select your players, etc., before hitting "Start Game" (which creates the map). You can even go into the Advanced SetUp menu and "pick your poison" for the AI players you want the map to use, but you still need to set them up in the config file to ensure they are used when someone actually uses the map to play on. In WorldBuilder you will always work within that map with that list of players that you selected in the setup (or ones you add) but you can override who is used for what via the config file (as I have done in the example mod). The game seems at the moment to have no way to use the players assigned within the map file itself: it uses what is in the config file, what you select in Advanced Setup when you actually start a game using the map, or random selection is applied. This is true even though within WorldBuilder at this point you will be working with a pre-assigned set of Major and City-State players.

Last edited:
Wake me up when an in-game-editor is ready and works as it used to in Civ V ;)
Sadly, we were promised a complete game, and now, a month after launch, it's perfectly clear that we got a product that should have stayed in development for at least a few more months. At least interface is slowly taking its proper shape.
Let's hope that Firaxis doesn't adapt Paradox Interactive's approach, i.e. launching paid DLCs instead of making already present functionality work properly.

...and do you know if it is possibile and if exists a script to use in firetuner or other to directly export a data map from worldbuilder to obtain datas like this ?

MapToConvert[89][97]={15,-1,-1,{{0,-1},{0,-1},{0,-1}},{-1,1},{0,0,0}}
MapToConvert[90][97]={15,-1,-1,{{0,-1},{0,-1},{0,-1}},{-1,1},{0,0,1}}
MapToConvert[91][97]={15,-1,-1,{{0,-1},{0,-1},{0,-1}},{-1,1},{1,0,0}}

thank you :)

Hi folks. First I want to thank Gedemon and tazpn314 for their maps, mods, and helpful information. Using that information, I've been able to successfully access worldbuilder and create maps without hardly any problems in single player. Its awesome to be able to play a custom map I made myself (which I always preferred my own maps throughout my civ playing "career"). But I do have some issues if you guys don't mind helping me out. If I'm able to resolve these issues I'll be able to successfully make standard sized and small sized earth maps for those of us with weak to average PCs :D

Anyways, here are my issues (keep in mind I'm using the TZ mod setup for my custom map):

1. In single player, I cannot get start locations to work right. Which ever Civ is set as player one is where I'll always start. And even if I go back set start positions not based on the player but on a leader or specific Civ, I still start wherever the Player 1 start position was set. Why is that? Do I need to create another file specifically for start locations? If so how would I do that?

2. In multiplayer, all other players who are not the host of the room crash immediately when their game begins to load (after the countdown). I make sure all other players have to necessary files I have in my own TZ mod file. I suspect this has something to do with my inability to set Civ specific locations for human players (perhaps every human player is being started in the exact same location, and the game crashes).

3. I noticed in worldbuilder when I'm working on my map, if I click the button in the top left corner that brings up all the civilizations and city-states in the game, I notice that all the civs and CSs that aren't "mine" (Player 1) says AI next to their names. I thought this might have been a reason why the map doesn't work in multiplayer. But when I try to remove the AI civs and re-add them as Human Players, worldbuilder crashes. Is this just yet another good reason why worldbuilder wasn't available upon Civ 6's release? Or is it perhaps something I'm doing wrong?

If anything was unclear, I'll be more than happy to clarify any confusion.

And to contribute, I noticed that in the TZ mod the option to have No Barbarians is missing from the advanced setup screen. I was able to re-add the button with the following line of code (insert in TZ_Config.xml file, right above the final line that reads </GameInfo>:

Spoiler No Barbarians Button Code :

<Parameters>
<Row Key1="Ruleset" Key2="RULESET_TZ" ParameterId="NoBarbarians" Name="LOC_GAME_NO_BARBARIANS" Description="LOC_GAME_NO_BARBARIANS" Domain="bool" DefaultValue="1" Visible="true" ConfigurationGroup="Game" ConfigurationId="GAME_NO_BARBARIANS" GroupId="AdvancedOptions" SortIndex="2010"/>​
</Parameters>​

Thanks for your time, guys! I've already learned much, but there's still a lot to learn yet.

------------------------------------------------

Edit/Update:

Been grinding away at this to try and get my map to work in multiplayer to no avail. I tried setting up players in about every possible way. I tried setting up my civ and my dad's civ in the map through worldbuilder as human players and leaving the other civs and city states as AI, and the game still crashed. I tried creating a Map.xml file and scripting where I wanted each civ and city state to start, and the game still crashed. I tried removing the city states and left in just the civs, and the game still crashed. I tried clearing all civs out of the map through worldbuilder, and the game still crashed. I eventually said screw it and got rid of the Map.xml file after testing it in single player (the result of the test being America starting where Norway starts, Norway starting where Russia starts, but Brazil always starting exactly where I want it). Even without the Map.xml file and each player position being for random civs, the game still crashed in multiplayer.

So I've come full circle, learning some neat things, things that will certainly come in handy for when we get proper mod tools for Civ 6, but I've made no meaningful progress on my map mod. The only thing I can conclude, considering that Gedemon's maps work for single player and multiplayer, is that the TZ mod I'm using simply isn't set up to work in multiplayer. Perhaps I could get it to work in multiplayer but I currently have no idea how to make that work. And just to be clear I'm not knocking tazpn314 or his mod. I still got a custom map for single player at least, and it runs from beginning to end no problem. I just don't have the knowledge to script it properly. Yet.

Last edited:
Hi,
Is it possible to create and adjust things while in an existing game via Tuner and Worldbuilder.

I have the following issue:
The AI often hangs or loops a certain civ. Clicking the menu then, will freeze the game except music keeps running properly, but no scrolling, interactions etc. And no CTD, Task Manager sees Civ6 still running properly.

I know want to find out what might cause by trial and error with changing their stuff before ending turn. like if it's some AI loop with unit movement (we had this in XCom2 aswell) this can easily pointed out by deleting the civs units.
This is just my strongest belief that it has something to do with the movement due to Firaxis experiences. Also the loop begins even before the AI starts moving this civ's units.

Is it also somehow possible to display the currently operated code via Tuner/Console to find the exact corrupted command?

Little edit:
Loaded save game two turns before. Only one variable changed. I did not declare war on CS Jerusalem and then the AI worked fine on that civ two turns later. this is pointing the some diplomatic AI issues and probably not units.

Last edited:
guys how to get path of worldbuidler civ5 in in civ6
i play largest map of yetnot mode
i want change name of city's in game and take tiles and give tiles

Trying to make a map of Chiron for an Alpha Centauri mod. Is this how those large earth maps were made? Because, wow, this tool is ... uh... feature incomplete. =)

I can confirm that this works! Thanks. After many tests you need to have enough starting positions as there are player's set in the world builder or it will crash at the loading screen.
Hello all; I think I need some help. I followed the instructions and was able to create the map that I wanted. However, I'm not able to "turn on" or find the mod that was created.. what am I doing wrong? Thank you-

I'm unclear if anyone has gotten custom maps actually loaded as a playable game because after messing with maps I never could and it usually crashes and the load menu doesn't show up until after restarting unless you edit maps again.

However I did get a custom map loaded via the custom rulesets. I copied the multiplayer and tutorials scenario techniques.

For others to follow along I created a folder called TZ under My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods and put the 2 files below in spoiler area and the map called TZ.Civ6map which was in Saves\WorldBuilder.
Spoiler :

Files:
mods/TZ/TZ.modinfo
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="FC885C5B-DF9B-441B-8F6D-B009CAA0D003" version="1">
   <Properties>
       <Name>LOC_MOD_TITLE</Name>
       <Teaser>LOC_MOD_TEASER</Teaser>
       <Description>LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION</Description>
       <Authors>LOC_MOD_AUTHORS</Authors>
   </Properties>
   <Settings>
       <Map id="TZ_MAP">
           <Properties>
               <Group>TZ_Maps</Group>
               <Name>LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME</Name>
               <Description>LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION</Description>
           </Properties>
           <Items>
               <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
           </Items>
       </Map>
       <Custom id="TZ_SETTINGS">
           <Items>
               <File>TZ_Config.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </Custom>    
   </Settings>
   <LocalizedText>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TITLE"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TEASER"><en_US>A simple test.</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>This is a basic test</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_AUTHORS"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME"><en_US>TZ Map</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>A basic test</en_US></Text>
   </LocalizedText>
   <Files>
       <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
        <File>TZ_Config.xml</File>
   </Files>
</Mod>
Notes: I generated a new mod id just because everyone should to maintain uniqueness.

mods/TZ/TZ_Config.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameInfo>
   <RuleSets>
       <Row>
           <RuleSetType>RULESET_TZ</RuleSetType>
           <Name>TZ</Name>
           <Description>TZ Description</Description>
           <SupportsMultiPlayer>0</SupportsMultiPlayer>
       </Row>
   </RuleSets>
   <RulesetDomainOverrides>
       <Row Ruleset="RULESET_TZ" ParameterId="Map" Domain="TZ_Maps" />
   </RulesetDomainOverrides>
</GameInfo>
Now start Civ6. Goto Mods. Enable TZ. Back. Single Player. Create Game. Advanced Setup.

Now select TZ from under Ruleset instead of TZ. Now Map shows up without localized text but is LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME but dont care at the moment since that looks close. Starting will load the customized map. Not sure if it uses the other things like difficulty or game speed or number of players.

I was also able to override the player start location to a desired location rather than random. You can change the player 1 location by setting that with the map editor. I don't think Players are set in advance but city-states are. You might have to set all player positions for this to work.

Edit: Regarding Firetuner. I had to do more steps than what has been explained here so will give probably equally brief and useless guide. 1. Download Civ 5 SDK from Steam Tools. 2. Run SDK. Select FireTuner. Start Civ6. Leave in top menu. Select *New Panel*. Select Mods checkbox. Select OK. Select New Control. Select Action Control. Type "OnWorldBuilder()" in Action area. Select Test. >> Should get "Command ran without errors." in Output.
Hello all; I think I need some help. I followed the instructions and was able to create the map that I wanted. However, I'm not able to "turn on" or find the mod that was created.. what am I doing wrong? Thank you-

Since today's patch, no more City States are being placed on creating a map with world builder. Any idea on how to fix this?

I'm unclear if anyone has gotten custom maps actually loaded as a playable game because after messing with maps I never could and it usually crashes and the load menu doesn't show up until after restarting unless you edit maps again.

However I did get a custom map loaded via the custom rulesets. I copied the multiplayer and tutorials scenario techniques.

For others to follow along I created a folder called TZ under My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods and put the 2 files below in spoiler area and the map called TZ.Civ6map which was in Saves\WorldBuilder.

I took a randomly generated map, made modifications to it, and created/located the modinfo/config files labeled TZ as suggested here. However, I can't seem to get the mod to show up in the game menu in order to add it as a playable map.

When you reference copying the multiplayer and tutorials scenario techniques, are you copying the files from those folders and then inserting the TZ documents in there?

(I understand that the TZ naming convention is just your example, but I thought I'd keep it for a first attempt to make it easier to keep track of the files.)

Edit: Never mind - I don't know what I did differently this time out, but I got it to work. I'm seeing the same problem (no automatically generated CS's) referenced in an earlier post, though. Haven't tried manually adding them, but will play around with it.

Last edited:
I still havent got it to work. I can enable TZ. but it does not let me setup the TZ ruleset.

Using LeeS code I had some problems with multiple civilizations starting on the same position. This helped me to limit the number of players to the 6 starting positions on my map:

Code:
    <RulesetDomainOverrides>
    <Row Ruleset="RULESET_MIDDLE_EAST" ParameterId="Map" Domain="AO_MAPS" />
    <Row Ruleset="RULESET_MIDDLE_EAST" ParameterId="MapSize" Domain="MiddleEastMapSizes" />
   </RulesetDomainOverrides>

<MapSizes>
               <Row Domain="MiddleEastMapSizes" MapSizeType="MAPSIZE_LARGE" Name="LOC_MAPSIZE_LARGE_NAME" Description="LOC_MAPSIZE_LARGE_DESCRIPTION" MinPlayers="2" MaxPlayers="6" DefaultPlayers="6" MinCityStates="0" MaxCityStates="22" DefaultCityStates="15" SortIndex="50" />
   </MapSizes>

Does anyone know how to disable worldwrap on large maps?

Pick locations, but make sure you don't pick 'player', which is default, but 'random CS'. Also you'll have to add competing CS manually in the top left menu. Having multiple civs starting at the same spot can be prevented by defining the competing civs upon creation of the map (other than letting them at random) and re-use the same ones when loading the map in order to actually play it.

Pick locations, but make sure you don't pick 'player', which is default, but 'random CS'. Also you'll have to add competing CS manually in the top left menu. Having multiple civs starting at the same spot can be prevented by defining the competing civs upon creation of the map (other than letting them at random) and re-use the same ones when loading the map in order to actually play it.

Add competing CS by specific CS, or just as add_player: CS? I did the second and added starting locations for random CS on the map, but they didn't show. Is getting the appropriate number for the map size essential?

You can add random city state ai players or specific city state ai players (or also both). You must set a start position for each player. You can add less city states than set in the map size configs. I didn't tested if you can add more.

Top Bottom