[UNIT] How to upgrade Exile?

DC0

Prince
It cannot be taken inside my borders.
I can't upgrade it inside or outside other player's city.
And I have Bandit's hideout built. And limit for this type of units haven't been reached.

You can't upgrade it inside another player's city and you can't upgrade it inside your own borders. But if you have the gold to upgrade them and the tech, they should be upgradeable once outside any city.

But arn't Exiles unable to enter your own territory and don't you need an option on to allow units to upgrade outside your terrritory?

What do they even upgrade to?

But arn't Exiles unable to enter your own territory and don't you need an option on to allow units to upgrade outside your terrritory?
I added the tags to make it possible to set some units directly to be able to upgrade anywhere and added it to most true criminals around the same time as the main criminal audit took place.

Due to some major code confusion during the recreation of the unit (it would think it was moving in for an attack somehow) I had to limit them to not being able to upgrade while in an opponent city. I don't think this is a bad rule anyhow because it challenges them to be able to sneak out and effectively hide somewhere to upgrade.

You can't upgrade it inside another player's city and you can't upgrade it inside your own borders. But if you have the gold to upgrade them and the tech, they should be upgradeable once outside any city.
I still can't upgrade Exile.

I hope it doesn't cost more than 1000 to upgrade Exile :)

And yes, I can build Thief.

Oh. One more thing. Game says my Exile can perform a trade mission in the rival city.

I have conducted trade mission with my Exile, hoping it will consume the unit. But instead he returned to vicinity of my city. I found an inexhaustible gold mine!

inexhaustible gold mine!
As if gold was greatest worry in this game :sarcasm:
It sounds like serious bug, that exiles can do that.
And trade mission itself sounds like its buggy.

@Thunderbrd @alberts2
You two were touching unit missions recently.

Alright. I've disbanded my Exile. No coins for me :(
I've trained Thief. Thief also can conduct a trade mission in foreign city. And it yields even more gold.
And I can train both Exile and a Thief in my city. I suppose Exile must be outdated and not available for training.

Alright. I've disbanded my Exile. No coins for me :(
I've trained Thief. Thief also can conduct a trade mission in foreign city. And it yields even more gold.
And I can train both Exile and a Thief in my city. I suppose Exile must be outdated and not available for training.
Well a new exploit! Now I have reason to build these 2 units that I normally never do.

But if you have not updated to the latest SVN this could be changing.

Plus this really should be reported in the Bug sub forum under the SVN thread.

Oh. One more thing. Game says my Exile can perform a trade mission in the rival city.
This should be easily setup in world builder but it'd take a while. Can you post your save of this turn?
I have conducted trade mission with my Exile, hoping it will consume the unit. But instead he returned to vicinity of my city. I found an inexhaustible gold mine!
Entirely intentional. The exile wants to be given a way to be re-accepted by his community so trade or infiltration is his way to do this. He probably ports immediately out of the city he returned to as soon as that happens or at least by the time he can act in the next round.

All criminals have a trade mission now and they will return to the city they were trained in when they pull it off. It is possible for them to fail, be investigated and thus labeled wanted in the process and if they fail they don't port back to the capital, at which point they should be arrested if the city is properly staffed with a crime control or investigating unit. So it's not an exploit but a major reason to use criminals. Also consider that one of the best ways to use criminals is to simply let them sit there in the city enhancing crime - which if you watch closely usually means the AI just trains a couple more LE units to counter it - but hey, now they're losing a few gold a round to support those extra LE units and they won't disband them when you leave so they will be overspending thereafter on crime control for a while. Plus, every round you can evade detection in the city, your criminal gains a little XP.

Why do criminals have trade missions? Classically, one of the most common crimes in history has been to contribute to the black market. They are trading in contraband and at some times this can be even more lucrative than effective legal trading. It's pretty era comparable to the merchants - there's only so much the criminal is willing to let the state have as a cut of the profits (remember, unless barbarians(rebels and malcontents), criminals are secretly working for the state - even exiles.) Personally, in most cases, I think infiltration is a better strategy generally because espionage is harder to generate through other means.

The 'bug' here is that the exile isn't able to upgrade when it should be able to for some reason and I'd like to figure out why with a save that shows the problem.

This should be easily setup in world builder but it'd take a while. Can you post your save of this turn?
Entirely intentional. The exile wants to be given a way to be re-accepted by his community so trade or infiltration is his way to do this. He probably ports immediately out of the city as soon as that happens. All criminals have a trade mission now and they will return to the city they were trained in when they pull it off. It is possible for them to fail, be investigated and thus labeled wanted in the process and if they fail they don't port back to the capital, at which point they should be arrested if the city is properly staffed with a crime control or investigating unit. So it's not an exploit but a major reason to use criminals. Also consider that one of the best ways to use criminals is to simply let them sit there in the city enhancing crime - which if you watch closely usually means the AI just trains a couple more LE units to counter it - but hey, now they're losing a few gold a round to support those extra LE units and they won't disband them when you leave so they will be overspending thereafter on crime control for a while. Plus, every round you can evade detection in the city, your criminal gains a little XP.

Why do criminals have trade missions? Classically, one of the most common crimes in history has been to contribute to the black market. They are trading in contraband and at some times this can be even more lucrative than effective legal trading. It's pretty era comparable to the merchants - there's only so much the criminal is willing to let the state have as a cut of the profits (remember, unless barbarians(rebels and malcontents), criminals are secretly working for the state - even exiles.) Personally, in most cases, I think infiltration is a better strategy generally because espionage is harder to generate through other means.

The 'bug' here is that the exile isn't able to upgrade when it should be able to for some reason and I'd like to figure out why with a save that shows the problem.

FWIW, I have not been able to reproduce this bug. The Exile was able to a Rogue just fine while outside my borders. I did not try upgrading to a Thief as I had already unlocked Rogues by that point.

FWIW, I have not been able to reproduce this bug. The Exile was able to a Rogue just fine while outside my borders. I did not try upgrading to a Thief as I had already unlocked Rogues by that point.
hmmm... maybe that's it. I may have wanted exiles to have to wait until rogues before they could upgrade.

The XML lists Thief, Rogue, Burglar, Assassin, and Cutthroat as valid upgrades for the Exile, and this is reflected in the Civilopedia, so it seems like it should work.

Top Bottom