How would you balance the civics?

Ok so you go banking, replaceable parts, rifles, then probably economics after. It's rare to sit on banking very long without teching economics. If you beeline rifles and ignore education then I suppose you could run it a long time. Still not that great though as foreign trade is probably worth as much.

I virtually never self-tech economics, and I usually backfill banking after having gotten liberalism. YMMV i guess.

I guess in my games that doesn't usually happen. If that were the case mercantilism would be ok.

I virtually never self-tech economics, and I usually backfill banking after having gotten liberalism. YMMV i guess.
I like the free GM too much to never self-tech economics. I usually tech it after liberalism, unless another civ will/has beat me to it.

Problem is I find the AI will often tech it while I'm pushing for military techs.

Problem is I find the AI will often tech it while I'm pushing for military techs.

Seing an AI research economics, demoracy, corporation, SciMeth and so on while ignoring the urgent need for rifling and steel is extremely frustrating. Both cuirassiers and cavalry wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are if the AI was halfway decent.

A free GM is nice, but it also delays very good military techs. NTT makes early economics more attractive.

Seing an AI research economics, demoracy, corporation, SciMeth and so on while ignoring the urgent need for rifling and steel is extremely frustrating. Both cuirassiers and cavalry wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are if the AI was halfway decent.

A free GM is nice, but it also delays very good military techs. NTT makes early economics more attractive.

I don't pay anywhere near enough attention as I should to the techs the AI researches but I feel like I frequently see them getting economics before I have liberalism. That usually happens when I get dragged down by the AI declaring on me because I'm too lazy to play the diplomatic game properly :D
Anyway, I have also noticed that while the AI can often out-beaker me (on Emperor) their prioritization of techs is awful. I can't see any scenario where a GM can get me as much as getting curs ~6 turns earlier. I guess maybe if I didn't have horses.

What about the AI having Assembly line and no rifling?

Top Bottom