HqNes2 - Fair, New World

Can you get onto AIM I would like to dicuss this with you.

UPDATE 1 - Year 460 AF1.

For generations the people of Kraztur wandered the land, hunting and pillaging in order to find food and survive. Little else mattered for the many tribes scattered around. Survival was everything and life was hard. Many people died at an early age if the times were hard, but slowly some of the tribes starting prospering. They learned how better to survive by planting seeds and then harvesting it later. They also figured out how to protect their cattle and thus gain more food by not having to drive them from one place to another whilst losing many of them. Eventually the tribes found good places where they could prosper and starting erecting more permanent dwellings instead of the ramshackle tents they had been using.

This happened at almost the same time in several places in the fertile area around “The River2”. As better shelters were erected and they began having a steady supply of food their numbers increased and they grew to small towns. Life was still not easy though. Many other tribes inhabit the lands and they were still reliant on foraging and raiding and the newly-settled tribes were often pillaged. Before they could avoid them somewhat by moving from one place to another, but now, as they had settled in one place they became easier prey. As many put away their spears and hunting gear and became farmers they also became weaker. The surplus of food allowed them to raise a small force of warriors to protect them and life became better.

It is still a hard life though they now have some measure of protection. A determined raid by other tribes can still decimate them drastically, but for some time things have been calm and the “civilised” tribes have now reached a point where their population is reaching a level higher than can be easily fed. As such they are looking to expand in order to gain new lands that will help them feed their people. The neighbouring tribes are not likely to take kindly to this, but no one knows exactly what will happen. It is the dawn of a new age. It is the dawn of the Age of Empires.

Let’s take a look at the settled tribes in the fertile lands around “The River”. We start far to the east in the mountainous realm of Ironal. Located around the southernmost fork of “The River” the nation is located in a harsh place. The mountains are not the best place for farming so they depend a lot on their cattle and sheep which they move from one mountain to another to give them the best grazing opportunities. They are in a strategically good position though as the mountains provide them with quite a bit of protection. They do need it though as the massive forest of Fonwald is located not far from their southwestern border. These people are miners and herders, but also fiercely proud. They have spent much time searching for ore in their region, but have had little luck so far. They have, however, encountered a tribe north of them wielding bronze weapons, so maybe they are on the right track. It is unlikely though that the people there will willingly aid them. So far their expansion has been peaceful and, as the nation has grown, lots of work has had to be done to plan out how to best conduct their searches for precious minerals. This has resulted in slightly better skills for their leaders.

From Ironal we move down to the Fonwald. An immense forest populated by clansmen who are able to fight like lions in their wooded home, it is also populated by the people of Cironelle. This forest kingdom is ruled with an iron hand by king Anree who has managed to forge his own little empire. Life is, however, fragile here as there is no easy way to raise crops, so they are highly dependent on their herds of swine. Having forged his kingdom the king was tired and decided to take a nap. A good, long nap. While sleeping many matters had to be decided, but with the king not wanting to be disturbed the councillors had to do as best they could. Knowing the dangers in the woods, the boosted their military force and constructed primitive paths to better allow communications to move quickly.

On the southern bank of the “Great Lake3” the nation of Imperia has focused mainly on constructing a massive marketplace in order to better structure the bartering taking place in their nation. This has had the effect of making them slightly stronger economically. So much effort went into this that they almost forgot to expand. Some brave souls still struck out seeking new lands, but without any protection from the military who were busy policing their new market square many of the settlers were either killed or returned in a panic to Gregengrad. Even so, a minor expansion was accomplished.

North of Imperia is the realm of Calador. The leaders there have worked hard on making the most of their rich lands by systemising the agriculture. This has resulted in quite a lot of extra food which were then used to make lunches for the many settlers that were sent out from Cimbar. This has resulted in a massive expansion for the nation, though it has made the capital seem almost empty at times. It has also resulted in strained relations with the tribes living north of them as they are not happy with this influx of Caladonians. So far things haven’t come to blows yet, but trouble is brewing in the area. Also, slightly worrying, one man in the displaced tribes to the north was observed sitting atop a large animal which moved like the wind. As a counter the Caladonians have started turning to worship of old, and long-dead, warriors, praying for them to give them aid.

Finally, we have the nation of Mearleknol situated on the eastern short, basically in the middle between Calador and Imperia. This nation is a peaceful farming community, at least for now, and despite having such a potentially dangerous location, they have focused on sending merchants to their two neighbouring countries, slightly boosting their economy.

Moving upriver from these three nations we find the nation of Rajo. This is a small nation nestled between two forks of “The River”. This provides them with an excellent defensive position and lots of fish. This nation is quite militaristic and expansionist and sets out on expanding their territory by moving downriver. They make quite a bit of progress aided by their military and brand new War Canoes. They even build a nice road running along the river. After reaching the end of their supply lines they decide to make camp and make the position into a new settlement only to find that no one actually wants to move all that way and settle when they are perfectly happy in Masakala4. They do, however, manage to make contact with a people calling themselves the Mearle.

Also nestled between two rivers is the Tribunal, a nation headed by the ambitious Lord Vivic. A large scheme is undertaken here including the training of more troops, including a new, elite guard unit, and making the leaders more efficient by explaining to them the principle of how one apple and one apple makes two apples. This takes quite a while to explain to the leaders and while trying to figure it out they forgot to take care of all of their normal duties. Nevertheless they aren’t too absentminded to start upon a new project focusing on training all children the Way of the Warrior from an early age. While it will take some time to take any real effect it will, eventually, give the Tribunal a large and skilled pool of manpower. They also send out warriors to protect farmers as new lands are settled along the river, making contact with another nation calling themselves Syldavia.

We continue the trip upriver and get to the small nation of Syldavia, you know, the one I just mentioned. Bordered by rivers to the north and the south they are pretty well protected from two directions. Deciding that something needed to be done about the two vulnerable directions the Syldavians decided to move in a southwestern direction first. This soon brought them into contact with a nation simply calling itself the Tribunal. This nation seems much more warlike than the Syldavians, but things have been peaceful so far. The Syldavians focused most of their attention on expansion which eventually prompted a disgruntled crown prince to ask if nothing was to be done with the tribute received from the citizens of the lands. Not caring the king told his heir to do as he bloody well pleased. Being a peaceful sort of heir the prince decided that it would be useful if the people of his nation could read and write and thus started teaching them. He also decided that some kind of road between the two rivers would be useful.

Directly north of these lands lies the nation of Higoria. This is a nation in sorrow as the king died without any sons. The entire nation was in mourning for more than a day before it was decided to let the brother of the deceased king, who interestingly shares his name, take power. The new king, Patrium Orius the younger, decided upon a policy of expansion. To do this, he figured, he’d have to train the military as well, so he strengthened the army, built some boats to explore the river and finally started training some of his staff so as to better aid him in governing the lands. The expansion focused mainly northward as the new king was loath to give up the protection afforded him by the river.

Next, our journey takes us to Almega. Nested at the coast next to the rival nation of Dashtaka they don’t feel to pleased and/or secure living next to someone just as civilized as them. Or maybe uncivilized? In any case the Sinton dynasty takes an aggressive stance expanding both army and navy before crossing the river and doing their best to take land next to Dashtaka. The Dashtakans aren’t too pleased with this as they’ve been trying to settle into the same area and a few minor skirmishes are fought. The Almegans bring superior numbers though and manage to take a foothold across the river. They don’t get as far as they were hoping for, but they do manage to get a valuable piece of land and then put in a lot of effort to set up a fortified camp with the works. Earthworks, a small trench and a primitive palisade wall protect them for now.
Priests in Almega also come up with a kind of explanation of how the multiverse functions, though it causes people to stare blankly wondering what they are babbling about. Even so, they do manage to impress a few and their theory becomes a religion… of kinds. Anyway, it also spreads to Dashtaka and while the people there are also confused, the populations of both nations assume that it is a good thing and becomes slightly happier.
(Dashtaka: -25 warriors, +1 happiness; Almega: -35 warriors, +1 happiness)

As said the Dashtakans also try to expand rapidly just like the Almegans and manage to make quite a bit of progress as well despite being slowed down by skirmishes with their neighbours. The population is not too pleased with the Almegan fortification sticking out like a pimp on a teenagers face. Even so, they make the best out of the situation expanding around the Almegans and also sending out expeditions looking for resources. On a more peaceful note the Dashtakans also start redeveloping their agricultural system in order to increase their surplus.

We finish our tour of the lands of Kraztur by visiting the northern Empire of Tiesto. That a nation has managed to rise here is somewhat unusual, but the mountains directly to their south have given them some protection from the barbarian sea surrounding them. Knowing that the mountains can mean the difference between life and death in case of a massive barbarian invasion they have expanded mainly southward to claim these as their own. Good progress was made though the going is relatively slow due to the terrain. So far things have gone well though as the troops sent into the area were strong enough to dissuade the mountain clans from attacking. Having lost a bit of their traditional lands, it’s most likely only a matter of time though before something happens. Already the mountains are being mined in search of minerals, but so far without luck. It has created a slight increase in trade however, particularly combined with a more systemized farming … ehm… system.

Contacts:
Almega and Dashtaka; Imperia and Calador; Rajo and Calador, Tribunal and Syldavia; Mearleknol and Rajo, Imperia and Calador.

1) For some reason all the tribes number the years with the suffix AF, though none are sure of what it really means.
2) If you got a better name, do let me know :p
3) See above :p
4) Building a new town costs.... though different events (and my mood) will give you some for free every now and then.

NOTES from the Mod:
Since things are quiet right now I recommend we do 2 weekly updates initially until we have more contacts and set the next deadline for Tuesday around 18,00 CET. If this is a bad idea, then please let me know.

Slightly short update, but not much happening yet :)

Also, starting next turn some cities might develop a special status. It depends on what happens and how the development continues. It is a gradual process.

Next Deadline:
Tuesday, 18,00 CET unless I get any protests!

Yeah, the map has arrived :goodjob:

Attachments

• Update1.PNG
    Update1.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 121
Nice update. But the spelling of Vivec is wrong (Vivic=Vivec) and in contacts you have Imperia and Calador twice. Other than that it is fine.

Name for river= Odai River. Yet another Elder Scrolls knock-off.

The river after the lake that me and them other dudes is on is called the river Pha

Nice update Hq!

I'm still on vacation and only managed to get internet in a freak coincidence, so please continue to NPC me.

to: Calador

send my regards to your monarch

Well, despite noone protesting against earlier orders to speed this up in the first few turns, only Sheep and Iggy who is NPC has sent any orders. That means that we must wait for the usual deadline before updating. However, get those orders in. With so little happening at first, I'm of the opinion that the first few updates should come a bit faster than once a week.

whoops, sorry i was under the impression i had sent mine, sending now so i dont miss it agian

Emperor Huong Welly I looked out to the mountains to the south. There was the mountain clans, men who lived in the yet unclaimed mountains and although warlike, we not unlike the Tiestoans. The city of Tiesto flourished and would grwo yet more powerful with an agreement with these people.

He sent numerous envoys including his own son Crown Prince Huong, the young boy being a father's dream as a acclaimed general and an experienced negotiator, along with an honour guard of 50 of the most experienced vetran warriors under a flag of truce to the Mountain clans.

To The Mountain Clans of the White Mountains.
From The Empire of Tiesto

Join us, join our army! We will teach you much. Your chiefs shall become nobels owning their lands in service of the Emperor. They will join the Coucil of Nobility that advises the Emperor and helps with the administation of the Empire. You soldiers will have better pay. Your people will benefit from a civilised society, better food, more wealth and more opportunity. We speak the same language, the Tiestoan people having once been a mountain folk, however together we can grow stronger still and together we cannot be defeated!

Sorry Harleqin, I forgot to send orders for your NES when I left. I was in a hurry and had to do really short orders for a lot of other NESes. Please NPC me till I get back.

Sorry, I forgot I was in this NES.

2 EP: Use on Project

Use 200 Warriors to expand up River. Use the rest to expand towards the mountains. Use the 75 Ordinators to garrison Vivec City.

Guidlines for next update.

-Increase army
-Expand in all directions (slow down a bit)
-Have my army on constant alert for barbarian attacks.

To: Empire of Tiesto

We have discussed your idea in council. You are strong, but you are also soft. Why would we be your nobles when we too are strong and rule under no man. We laugh at you. If you truly want to unite the clans you must prove yourself worthy. Until you do we have nothing further to say to you.

Top Bottom