1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

Maybe!! If it’s something truly WOW-ing :) but i do agree that it’s disappointing that we won’t get very much time to mull over these cultures because it’s down to the wire at this point with reveals :-/ I’m dying to know who’s in the modern era!

CivLuvah likes this.
  2. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

It's Tuesday and still no culture reveal. I have a feeling either (1) they're going to reveal the modern cultures in another way or (2) the worse case scenario: they're going to delay the game.

Jkchart and j51 like this.
  3. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Its a real shame I think the culture reveals were a nice way to keep the interest on a low heat between bigger events like trailers/open devs. Unless of course the reveals are not ready but from the wording they used it suggests they could have done them sooner but are choosing not to.

Jkchart, j51 and CivLuvah like this.
  4. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

Yeah I’m pretty sad at the slow trickle of stuff we’ve had lately...still very excited for the game but man I want my fix! :p

5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    AntSou, Hawke9, Jkchart and 10 others like this.
  6. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I can't wait to get my hands on the map editor, the maps in the game look amazing.

Narcisse and 8housesofelixir like this.
  7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

Yep, I'm curious, I've sent an email.

Hawke9, Jkchart, God of Kings and 4 others like this.
  8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

This is great, great news.
    For one thing, if there are balance issues at launch, it appears that you can 'tweak' the factors and numbers to redress most of that without waiting for an official patch. This could save a lot of grief in rhe first weeks/months of playin after Release.

9. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

Hey everybody,

It's been a while since I've been around to answer your questions. Lots of work behind the scenes pulled me away from here.
    So, let me make a few quick remarks to some of the posts since I last joined this discussion:

Basically, yes. "Potential scenarios" were one (of many) factors in picking cultures for the base game. Mitsho puts it pretty well:
    As far as I know, this is another reason we picked the Umayyads over the Abassids: The player can see them either at the height of their expansion, or as a representative of Islamic Spain.
    Of course, they would have been great expansionists, and Abassids would be great scientists.

Well, we couldn't, because there will be more votes to narrow down the specifics of the mod. Unless I get stuck deep in other work again, I'll make a post here when the next vote starts.

Yes, it does go all the way to the present and even slightly into the future. (Not far. Basically just "finish inventing stuff we're already researching")

Well, the same is true for Transcending early: The Fame boost affects every era after you pick it.

To everybody waiting:
    For you, it will be the day the Humankind culture reveals finally resume. For Amplitude, it will be Tuesday.*

*Disclaimer: Actual day Culture reveals resume not guaranteed to be a Tuesday.

AntSou, Hawke9, Krajzen and 15 others like this.
  10. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Ah Did not know the Fame boost was for the rest of the game thought it just affected the next era, thats cool to know thanks.

11. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

EAGERLY waiting :)

Hawke9 and CivLuvah like this.
  12. grug

grug Chieftain

Something I've realized related to the Contemporary cultures (which we will hopefully start seeing tomorrow or soon after): since, if I remember correctly, Scientist affinity cultures have the ability to research technologies from the following era, a Scientist culture in the Contemporary Era would effectively lose out on that bonus. Maybe Contemporary Scientist affinity cultures could get some other bonus to replace that, like a "future tech" that only they can research repeatedly for extra fame and yields? Or just have their legacy traits stronger to compensate.

13. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I had thought about similar things, although I would make a wild guess and saying Contemporary cultures can also just don't have a Scientist. (cf. Medieval already don't have any Aesthete, and Industrial already don't have any Merchant.)

14. grug

grug Chieftain

I feel like there are too many good options for Scientists to exclude them - Sweden, South Korea, Post-War Japan, USA, USSR.

If any affinity is absent, I personally would expect it to be Expansionist. Most Contemporary Expansionist cultures would be a bit too controversial for starters, plus some major historical themes of the Contemporary Era have been the failure of expansionist conquests in WWII, the decolonization of empires, and wars fought for ideology rather than territory.

15. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Militarist would like to have a word about "controversial". Although I could see USSR being either Expansionist (referring to the formation of Eastern Bloc) or Militarist (referring to the concept of the Great Patriotic War).

16. grug

grug Chieftain

You have a point. But to me, puppeting countries like with the Eastern Bloc isn't really territorial expansion, because they weren't exactly newly claimed territories of the USSR even if they didn't rule themselves either. It was certainly an aggressive assertion of military hegemony, but it didn't lead to direct rule. There was also a sense of succession - for both the USSR and the PRC, most of the countries they conquered had been ruled by their predecessors, Imperial Russia and the Qing.

To me, the only real bids to incorporate large swaths of new territory in the past century or so would be Imperial Japan and Fascist Germany and Italy, which not only failed but are touchy subjects for both the conquered and the conquerors. Though then again, any military conflict in living memory will be a touchy subject.

17. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

It's Tuesday. Are we there yet? :eekdance:

Hawke9 likes this.
  18. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

America is gonna be first :) so kinda we already knew :goodjob:

19. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Not necessarily. They might be last if they use United States (unlikely).

I also have an inkling that it's not going to be on a Tuesday, due to Cats cryptic comment at the end of he post.

20. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

It might. Whatever they decide, I would love to get one more OpenDev.