Humankind - Poles Discussion Thread

Yeah, the Medieval Age wasn't a bad time overall for Europe, but, like I said, overlap with its low point and completely superseded by the rise of European powers you see starting in the Early Modern era.
However the rise of early modern europe was due to the development that had happened during the medieval era.

Interesting.
I would think Ottomans have to be delayed. I don't see them using the name Turks considering the name Ottomans was used on the Polish info tweet.

Ottomans will be simply named Turks. It is CULTURE and PEOPLES after all, so it does make sense to not name them after dynasty.
Zhou, Ming, Joseon and Umayyads are all dynasties. :p

How many reveals are left, 3? And there is a major likehood Venice is in and they have said that they choose cultures that have some history together. My guess is Ottomans are very likely, especially with both Poland and Venice is in with the third culture likely being Spain as an expansionist which I don't think we have yet seen in early modern. Both Spain and Venice did fight wars against the Ottomans.

How many reveals are left, 3? And there is a major likehood Venice is in and they have said that they choose cultures that have some history together. My guess is Ottomans are very likely, especially with both Poland and Venice is in with the third culture likely being Spain as an expansionist which I don't think we have yet seen in early modern. Both Spain and Venice did fight wars against the Ottomans.
Yep, I'm thinking the last three are the Spanish, Venetians, and Ottomans (either out of order or renamed "Turks" for some weird reason).

Yep, I'm thinking the last three are the Spanish, Venetians, and Ottomans (either out of order or renamed "Turks" for some weird reason).
I think Turks can mean several different people/cultures, so Ottomans probably make more sense.

My understanding is that also Swedish will be in, assuming Stockholm is not a norsemen city and Sweden did fight against Poland, so you have a relationship here. However it have been suggested that it could be an industrial era culture and in such case Spanish, Venetians and Ottomans may be the three left.

We have seen a blurry shot on a dev screen with Malmo city name with a little crown side to the name. I let you make the suppositions :p

We have seen a blurry shot on a dev screen with Malmo city name with a little crown side to the name. I let you make the suppositions :p
Malmö + crown strongly suggest Swedish culture and probably not early modern since Skåne was part of Denmark for much of the Early modern but crown or rather three crowns is strongly associated with Sweden, not Denmark.

sorry, my explication was bad, the crown was not their emblem, but it was the little crown side to your capital city (I think ;))

Yes but we have seen a Venetian galley somewhere, do anyone have screenshot of it?

upload_2020-8-20_16-10-20.png

Wait. Wrong one.

upload_2020-8-20_16-9-54.png

Clear as mud ;)

I tried yelling "enhance" at my computer, didn't seem to help...

Yes it's Swedes on the shot.

I agree than we can't know, maybe we will have early modern Swedes instead of this speculated early modern Venetians but :
"Sweden is solid pick for Industrial, as they experienced Golden Age and Enlightment together with quite a bit important scientific discoveries. More interesting than the militaristic phase which took only several decades. Obv it's important they became the hegemon of Baltic, but after that they experienced this Golden Age which will give us a nice industrial Scientist Sweden." I share this discussion from my oggysu buddy from Amplitude Discord. It's a good statement imho

I think it's exactly the same case for Venetians, yes their decline is in early Modern, it's why a lot of poeple saw them in Medieval. But there is no decline if you were not at your apogee. ;)
And again in my personnal point of view, they had more interesting world interactions in EM than in medieval. (or they were just the typical 4X lonely citystate)
And you know, era concepts are always a little sloppy for some cultures whose their apogee is just on the end and the start of an era.

For me, Venetians if confirmed will be like this Poles reveal, unexpected but anyway will look awesome, and some really interesting and possible clashes as additional gimmicks (Poles-Ottomans war, Venetian-Ottoman war, Venetian versus Trenscended Byzantine, Italian renaissance starter (going from Venetians to Byzantine), going to Venetians to industrial Italians ?,... etc ...). Swedes in the same era than Russian Empire, it looks fun for me :)

I'm eager to test legacy trait combo about cavalry with Poles. Huns legacy trait for exemple, it will be a lot of fun. Obviously I'm curious about the Barbican too, it will be like the English Stronghold (a fort) or an outpost (like the description) ?

@ost : interesting, I look this video again, and we can see the lankskip and the fluyt being in the same continuity of transport ships tech. If I'm not wrong the generic early modern one is named "Transport Caravel" for me, sorry it's blurry so :p
The blurry Galleass and Turtle ship are with the generic Carrack. So I suppose they will be coastal ships.

Last edited:
Venetians in Early Modern sounds less weird if you recall the era used to be called Renaissance. I've ranted before about why I'm glad they changed it and how there's a lot of overlap between the Italian Renaissance and the Middle Ages. But in terms of popular perception of history, it makes sense to have an Italian culture in an era named after the Italian Renaissance. Even more so if you consider the cutoff point between "Medieval" and "Early Modern" is nebulous, in the game or outside of it.

Venetians in Early Modern sounds less weird if you recall the era used to be called Renaissance. I've ranted before about why I'm glad they changed it and how there's a lot of overlap between the Italian Renaissance and the Middle Ages. But in terms of popular perception of history, it makes sense to have an Italian culture in an era named after the Italian Renaissance. Even more so if you consider the cutoff point between "Medieval" and "Early Modern" is nebulous, in the game or outside of it.

I am expecting the Venetians, but (I have said it in this forum before) seeing how city management works in Humankind... I would want the Italians as a whole instead of just the Venetians for early modern :p

Top Bottom