[GS] Hungary Discussion Thread

Hungary is very weak see also the skills are weak for the city state requires a lot of gold and the ability of the river has a serious problem is very flooding but I think it will be fun to play but the most important test is in high difficulties of the game

I have to say, I dig his outfit...

And that raven symbol is cool too!
I think this leader, mixed with an interesting set of abilities, has really made this civ.

I have to say, I dig his outfit...
Frederick is eternally jealous of King Fanservice.
Seriously though, he is almost too good looking for civ6.

Err, he's seriously considered good looking here? He just seems wrong to me, facially.

I believe the theme song for Hungary may be excerpts of multiple folk songs. It seems a couple of civ songs have two songs combined into one.
Someone on YouTube found one of the song for Hungary "Cinege, Cinege"

Frederick is eternally jealous of King Fanservice.
Seriously though, he is almost too good looking for civ6.
I can see why...

That pot belly really adds character though, lol.
Oh, and his beard is a nice touch. All they need to do is give Matthias a beard! :cool: (why aren't there any bearded emojis?)

That makes me almost sure, Ottomans will come:
See the Black Army fought in south against Ottoman in the 1460s.
In 1480 Matthias Black Army went in direction of Napoli.

The_wars_of_Matthias_Corvinus_of_Hungary_(1458-1490).png

Last edited:
I believe the theme song for Hungary may be excerpts of multiple folk songs. It seems a couple of civ songs have two songs combined into one.

Oh. My. God. I can hear exact sound patterns as in First look. Thank you!

There's some similarities to Romani folk music. The Kale tribe influenced Spanish music, so I wonder if the Lovari tribe influenced Hungarian music, or visa versa?

There's some similarities to Romani folk music. The Kale tribe influenced Spanish music, so I wonder if the Lovari tribe influenced Hungarian music, or visa versa?
Eh, it's hard to give a definite answer for that. Romani people have been living in Hungary since the 15th-16th century, so all those years of co-existing provided excellent opportunities for influencing each other. But one interesting thing that we know for sure is that since the 19th century, Romani musicians established themselves as the primary form of entertainment for events in Hungary, so almost all folk(ish) songs are performed by Romani musicians who surely add their touch to the songs.

I like the ‘Black Army’ visually and their concept.

One question though: How is this ...

... unit seriously considered light cavalry?
With all that armor and metal for protection it must weight tons.

Successional UUs are a great introduction for sure.
But is this light cavalry line the right place to do so?

Oh ... and by the way, I have a concern regarding the follow-up ‘Huszár’ as well (or actually the first real concern, as the above is purely visual).
How possible will obtaining those power-spending alliances be at all, when playing Hungary as warmonger?
At least in R&F, when reaching the industrial era, every (remaining) civ hates me for being a warmonger and most definitely doesn’t want to allie with me.
This unit’s usefulness might rise or fall with the new warmonger system and the upcoming diplomatic toolset.
If it will be possible to keep at least some friends despite intensive conquering, the Huszár might be a worthwhile UU.
Otherwise the Civ’s intended combat orientated play style and their one UU’s design seem to be mutual exclusive.

Needing resources for UUs would be a huge change. Gulp.

A good one imho.

Err, he's seriously considered good looking here? He just seems wrong to me, facially.

Well, he's a very realistically drawn caricature... lol. Some people's faces aren't even.

I like the ‘Black Army’ visually and their concept.

There certainly are some interesting artistic liberties all throughout the game.

I was definitely hoping to see Hungary, Matthias Corvinus, and the Black Army (it was in my top 4 brand new civs after all) and it looks like it won't disappoint! I like the domination route of encouraging to levy units from city-states though it looks like the civ ability can help open up other victory possibilities. Glad to see another welcome addition. Also glad to see a blond leader without a punchable smirk.

How possible will obtaining those power-spending alliances be at all, when playing Hungary as warmonger?
At least in R&F, when reaching the industrial era, every (remaining) civ hates me for being a warmonger and most definitely doesn’t want to allie with me.
This unit’s usefulness might rise or fall with the new warmonger system and the upcoming diplomatic toolset.

Make friends early and always joint war with them basically (or one friend realistically, I don't think join ongoing war has quite the same effect with warmongering).

Gilgamesh especially as he was basically designed for this. I got the achievement for getting to the third alliance level with him while playing as Shaka and wiping out the entire rest of the world.

But yes, ideally they've done something with warmongering that's not just going to end up being warmongering 2.0 under a different name.

There certainly are some interesting artistic liberties all throughout the game.
The appearance matches its stats... the Black Army is move 4, strength 50, whereas the Knight is move 4, strength 48. So it really isn't light cavalry. And the Hungarian player will be able to have both Knights and Black Armies at the same time, which seems rather redundant.

I suspect the only reason they have it in the Light Cavalry slot is so that it can upgrade to the Huszar. But it really should be a replacement for the Knight, because it doesn't look like there will be any reason to build a Knight when you have the Black Army available, except for cost and available resources (Black Army will presumably cost Horses, and Knights will presumably still cost Iron).

Actually though... this brings up another question. Up till now in Civ VI, the unique units never cost strategic resources. With the change in the resource model, this may have changed.

If not, resourceless unique units will be a much bigger advantage. And there will be no reason whatsoever for the Hungarian player to build Knights.

Top Bottom