I came, I SAW, I ...

First off, I'm attaching a .zip file with some save games. There's the 4000 BC save, a 10 BC save, a 1010 AD save, and a 1796 AD save, for anyone who's curious. Those were just near some requested dates, so I grabbed them.

What's next? I dunno. A nap? A break? Quite possibly. The game was fun but it was also very intense. It's also added to some of my frustrations with some broken game-elements in C3C (mostly armies, but some others as well). Will it be my last solo game? Right now I sure don't feel like starting another one, but...I saw someone mention Sid OCC hasn't been beaten yet....

Thanks to all readers and well-wishers. It might sound strange, but seeing the "Views" count go up on this thread actually provided some motivation to keep up the fight and get it done it timely fashion.

Arathorn

Too big for Attachment. Try http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/SAW-saves.zip for the saves.

I was going to look at these, but they will not load and get a dataio error. This is likely due to being at some older patch or a mod.

I did not see any mention of the patch level, is there some reason why this would not be at 1.22?

Great game.

It does seem to be outrageously time consuming to conquer Sid level AI though ( based on your game and those of Moonsinger and SirPleb). I presume you had to try a lot of false starts before finding a playable map as well. Therefore I admire your persistence as much as your skill, which is formidable. :goodjob:

Let me add to the heaps of praise Arathorn. Like Skyfish, I almost wanted to start playing again. Thanks for sharing the game with us.

I can't believe nobody has :bump:ed this???
Absolutely amazing stuff and a very nice writeup that I learnt a trick or two from :goodjob:

Bump and congratulations, I can not believe I missed this.

I know I'm REALLY late to this, but this was a great read. I never really followed these tales before, because they're so long but this was something else.

I haven't played Civ in almost a year now, and reading this makes me want to ditch the real world for a while and start playing again.

Thanks for sharing with us Arathorn

Wonderful read, hilariously incompetent AI, extremely well played!
Guess this is a bump also, everyone needs to read this!

Arathorn said:
A fair number of starts ended in disaster - sharing the island with a foe, not getting the Great Library, starting alone but getting overwhelmed by ship (I had one Sid Zulu dropping off >8 units/turn with just galleys. That was more swords and impis than I could handle before my Library run even ended). I wanted a lux, too, but that wasn't a complete necessity, as the time invested in the game was becoming overwhelming. I learned a bit from each loss, however.

Forgive me if someone else brought this up, but doesn't that mean you had a fair number of losses before you won? So you won one out of "a fair number". I don't know what a fair number is so I'm just using that phrase.

Ignore this post

Great game, I wanted to share a short tale of my own, I started on an island with enough room for 0.5 reasonable cities, and 0.33 by my standards. And I conquered the Iroquois and took their entire island, the other two civs had the rest of the map. :eek:

Figured I'd mention this, I wanted to tell someone about it, I ended up winning. Nukes helped a lot.:nuke:

P.S. I think I would have put 5-6 cities on your starting island, But I space mine out a lot.:lol:

Great game, now try it again, without choosing a map and enemies that favor you, make it as hard as you possibly can. :sniper: :ar15:

Maybe this may happen :spear: You taking out a tank with a spear-man, possible with harder foes, like maybe Greece, who gets a scientific bonus.

Now I feel like trying out this idea, hardest I can get it. Maybe my own random map with modified rules, making it harder.

Wow. Thats a :bump:. The last real discussion on this thread took place in 2004! That's not counting the comments.

I'm on third page and what I've read of it is sure good work! :D

Can't wait to finish reading the story!

Great! :goodjob:

Top Bottom