I Don't Get It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreLynMax

Your Lord and Master
I tried everything. I adhered to every strategy. I followed every road. But I still can't beat this game. I can't even get past this point. I give up on Civilization IV. This game is far to fusterating to beat a so-called standard difficulty on this game.

I have enclosed the modified files to I used with Tomas' War mod AND the point where I'm stuck at WITH this starting point file, and therefore retire from CivFanatics. I can't find a coach good enough to make my jump from Noble to Prince, and I have been stuck at this point since BTS started (2 years!), so it's best if I just uninstall this game and don't play anymore.

I thank all those whom tried to help me, and those whom critizised me, I'll see you in hell.

I might pop in from time to time, but I will no longer persue my stagnating skill and frusterating 66th consective Noble loss to date.

But if you like, you can shadow this damn near impossible game, and you can hopefully turn this around... but I doubt it.

Mod: Tomas' War (Modified)
Map: Standard, Terra
Speed: Normal

Why don't you join or start an SG at noble difficulty? Team play is an efficient way to improve... Your mates can correct the mistakes you make...
Otherwise, try this excercise, it will at least show you noble/prince is beatable:
start a pangea game with 6 AIs. research BW/TW. build warriors while staying size one. Your first 3/4 kill one or 2 AIs (the closest). Then for the third and the fourth you go with a stack of 6 warriors.
You have now 5 capitals.
One of them should have copper. Connect it. Make few axes, finish others AIs... congrats you won conquest on BC years! It won't work at the first attempt, but you WILL win this way. Perhaps it will give you back the will to try a regular game again :) (btw, while learning, it's important to be successfull, to not give up as you experienced... so if my method doesn't sound cool, just play a settler game -you don't care what other people think- and have fun... then go back to noble)

Cheers,
Ras

I wouldn't give up, dude. It's a GAME and it's meant to be FUN. So what if we're not all destined to become fully fledged deity players, who cares? I'm only a nobler myself, with 50/50 success, but it doesn't bother me and I still find it FUN to go down to warlord and stomp everyone. After all, I paid money for entertainment, and that's what I get if I stick at difficulty levels that I enjoy.

Happy stomping!

Then play Warlord :D

No. The fact that I'm getting an advantage irks me. I don't want to get worse with a low difficulty... but to get better with a higher one.

But I'm dismantling the game anyway... so don't bother. Just shadow the impossible game.

Hello Ras? I can't attack using Warriors. Buy the time I enmass a warrior stack, they will defend with Archers and Spearmen units. Without copper or iron, attacking a city is litterly impossible.

Hello Ras? I can't attack using Warriors. Buy the time I enmass a warrior stack, they will defend with Archers and Spearmen units. Without copper or iron, attacking a city is litterly impossible.

Well..no. On Noble, it is very possible to take out more than one civ with just warriors. If you want an edge, play Inca with Quechas. Settle your capital..build a worker and research tile improvement technologies...let the city grow using food tiles..switch over to production tiles, researc BW and chop, chop, chop, whip, whip out warriors..attack closest neighbour..unless its a protective civ on hills..you will take the capital. If you chop/whip out enough warriors, you can easily take out two civs closeby. Then you have room to expand and can focus on infrastructure for a while. I've done that procedure many times on Noble..once you get to Monarch+ it gets a bit harder though.

I don't know what that mod does for your game so I'll refer to standard unmodded game.

The best thing is to post one (princ level) game here the same way as threads King of the world or All Leaders Challenge to let other players direct your actions and advise you on strategy. The game is all about balancing economy, military and on more difficult leves - diplomacy.

Impossible is not french ;) (j/k quoting Nappy)...
Seriously, building warriors from the start, you can win domination on prince AW pretty easy... so you can do it in noble/lower. Just try to be focus, and you'll succeed ;) (settle plain hill, work plain hill forest- you want to kill the 4 first AIs in the first 50 turns). Anyway, my main message was that FUN is important while learning ;)

Cheers

Well..no. On Noble, it is very possible to take out more than one civ with just warriors. If you want an edge, play Inca with Quechas.

If you are properly focused, the AI will still have warriors when you hit, so really any Agg civ will be at least on par with Inca from the standpoint of the warrior rush, and maybe superior... it depends on if a barracks is useful or not for a warrior rush. I can imagine putting chops/whips into one, since warriors are too "small" to ever efficiently contain whip hammers and often too small to efficiently contain a chop, but OTOH promotions seem like kind of a waste for rushing with a unit with base strength of 2.

...TMIT? :D

True. It might be better to choose an AGG civ on difficulties where the AI has warriors instead of archers. Once they start with archers, Quechas are much more powerful.

I was curious about the save, but sadly I've had no luck opening it - keeps crashing on me, even if I have the mod downloaded, activated, and renamed to match the mod folder name that the save expects (which is slightly different from the name used inside the zip). If somebody else has better luck later on, please let me know...

I can identify with the feelings of frustration. Going back to an easier difficulty isn't a palitable option. I agree with Raskolnikov (C & P ?) that what you need is a little success.

Have you ever researched Animal Husbandry first? Then you tech wheel while you look for horses. A chariot rush can be devastating..! I've had games where I declared war on every AI on a small map, pillaging, choking, razing everything but the capitols... I can play this method and succeed at one difficulty level above my usual.

The key in this approach is to focus entirely on one goal. Don't stop to build wonders. Don't even build settlers. You're going to expand by taking the best cities from the AI. You need to keep pumping out the chariots. You'll want to keep the AI from sneaking settlers out of their cities.

You'll capture dozens of workers. Have them build roads to the front. Don't worry about occasionally loosing a chariot or a few workers. Just stay focused.

The AI will build a million archers (because you're denying them all the strategic resources). Eventually, you'll be able to take those well defended cities with catapults, swords, axes etc..

It's not the prettiest way to win, but it's still a win. This would be easy on Noble. You might have to jump up to Prince just to make it interesting. :)

I was curious about the save, but sadly I've had no luck opening it - keeps crashing on me, even if I have the mod downloaded, activated, and renamed to match the mod folder name that the save expects (which is slightly different from the name used inside the zip). If somebody else has better luck later on, please let me know...
The 'mod' the OP attached isn't a mod at all, just a folder containing files Prelynmax modified in an existing mod Thomas' War which the OP should really had linked :sad:

I can identify with the feelings of frustration. Going back to an easier difficulty isn't a palitable option. I agree with Raskolnikov (C & P ?) that what you need is a little success.

Sometimes to capture success you have to take a step back first. PLM, if you don't want to drop back to Warlord, how about changing the conditions of your Noble game? Have you ever tried playing against just 1 opponent?

If you've played 66 Noble games you have an amazing perseverence that most folks don't. I just think you gotta swallow your pride and take a few steps back.

Give us a specific example of something you struggle with.

I sympathize with the frustration. I've been stuck at Noble for well over a year. The guides and some of the sample games posted by Crusher have helped enormously. I've actually managed some decent wins (domination by 1700), but I still can't do it consistently. Point is, I believe I'm gradually improving with each game. More importantly, I enjoy the challenge, and I'm not too worried about not having made it to deity level. I still find the game fun, and don't plan to give up any time soon. Most important thing I've learned: There are NO friends in this game - only enemies just waiting for their chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom