I waited all this time and...

Tweedledum

Prince
... what I get is almost unusable.

It hangs all the freakin' time . Playing the Mesoamerica scenario (which looks like one of the "smaller" ones), I'm lucky if I can get 10 turns without the goddam thing locking up solid :mad:

I can't be the only one, surely...
System spec: Windows ME, 1.8Ghz chip, 512 MB RAM. That's got to be enough, surely? What the hell is going on? :mad: :mad:

Yes this has happened to me two times during the epic game.

I have also noticed that C3C loads and run much slower than the vanilla version or PTW.

Originally posted by Tweedledum
... what I get is almost unusable.

It hangs all the freakin' time . Playing the Mesoamerica scenario (which looks like one of the "smaller" ones), I'm lucky if I can get 10 turns without the goddam thing locking up solid :mad:

I can't be the only one, surely...
System spec: Windows ME, 1.8Ghz chip, 512 MB RAM. That's got to be enough, surely? What the hell is going on? :mad: :mad:
great my system is same thing! so that means when i get conquests the same thing will happen to me!

does it freeze, turn black, then go to the desktop?

Originally posted by Mr. Dictator
does it freeze, turn black, then go to the desktop?

No, it just stops responding. The screen still shows the game, the mouse pointer still responds, I can still use the "window" key, but Ctrl-Alt-Del shows C3C as "not responding" and all I can do with it is close it down...

hmmm..........

did you ever get a popup talking about Virtual Memory, or something?

didnt think about that, but yeah ditch ME and get XP

works better for most tasks and games

hmmm..........

did you ever get a popup talking about Virtual Memory, or something?

Nope. No pop-ups, no nothing

Windows ME is really bad. You should get Windows 2000 or XP.

Maybe, but the box does mention Windows ME as OK, and I never had this problem with PtW

wow.......this ones tough

id try to contact Atari or Firaxis about this one

ill check the Atari website and post a link if i find anything

Doesn't sound like a ram problem, sounds like a driver problem to me

Does it crash when a different piece of music starts to play?

Speaking as an experienced network tech, Windows ME is probably the worst operating system Microsoft has developed. Get XP Home edition, it'll run fine on a 1GHz+ machine with (ideally) at least 256MB of RAM. That aside, raise the issue with Firaxis/Atari - if the documentation says it runs on ME, they should support your getting it running on ME.

What graphics card do you have and have you downloaded the latest drivers for it? If so try disabling anti-aliasing and get rid of any custom mouse pointers or desktop themes you may be running.

I have a similar machine as the specs you mentioned (slower processor)... and it works fine.

Could be a graphics card issue... but if you get 10 rounds in, I would not think so. Checking to see if your card manufacture has a new driver posted is always a good idea though.

Also -- do a little "housecleaning" now and then on your computer. Defrag the harddrive, do a sweep that deletes fragmentary items, etc. I don't have the ME commands for this handy. Regular maintainance like this is always suggested.

I had a problem with the game hanging, I turned the music off now it runs fine.

Originally posted by Tweedledum
Maybe, but the box does mention Windows ME as OK, and I never had this problem with PtW

This may be true, and as stated it works fine for some people under ME, however, XP is MUCH more stable then it's 9x counterparts (that includes ME) the problem you're encountering COULD be fixed by an OS upgrade... on the other hand it could persist.

I'd suggest upgrading to XP in general regardless, but that's your decision. Aside from that you can either try to "wait it out" see if it's just temperarily hanging, or report the crash as precicely as possible (what were you doing exactly when it happened, how far into the game etc.) and hope the next patch addresses it.

Edit: just noticed the Music suggestion, go ahead and try that, if that doesn't work.... well, XP, wait out hang, or wait out patch.

I would try checking the Mem usage in % while running it..after all u're comp is set not to use upto 100%.

Also whenever sumthing turns slighlty unstable..it can flip off when mem is to high. Alos music seems to drain Memory, i heard ppl say

Top Bottom