Idea/Wish List for Railroads!

Remove OK confirmation Button in "Go to City Selection" list selection dialogue.
Once you select The City to go from list, Clicking OK button is unnecessary and redundant.

Are you sure that you want to go to the city?
Are you really sure?
You maybe cant find your way back and be lost forever...
You really mean it?

rofl

i found this board looking for a solution to my issue. the main issue in the game is placement of signals. a lot of people are complaining about routing but i think this is all the signals fault. a train can only see one section ahead. signals are placed at joins in order to allow routing onto empty tracks. the problem is, when you lay tracks in more than one step or delete joined tracks the obsolete signals dont go away. this means the very simple ai the trains use doesnt work because when they meet another train head on there is no sidtrack to option onto as there should be. and because trains cant see past that extra signal it blocks them from picking a more appropriate track earlier.

solve that and the game is at least playable. i dont mind everything else.

I'll echo everyone on this:

1) Slower game. Let it run for days.
2) Huge maps. Railroads are about distance. We have a term in model railroading for what this game gives you - spagetti bowl.
3) Fiscal opertunities at some level like RTDx or even RT1.
4) Signalling that works and could be overridden. I loved RTD signalling!

So, basically, the Orignal deluxe with better graphics and interface.

Man, I loved those priority shipments. How cool to make that work well.

One thing bad I will say about railroad games (in general) and RTD (in particular) - they always show these massive cities out in the boonies, as if they existed before the railroad did. Check your maps, but you'll find that most of your cities now are placed along the transcon. So it wasn't the railroad going to the cities, but the cities going to the railroads.

That always felt wierd - finding a string of cities in RTD and realizing that I was just following the transcon, over and over.

Bluevoss-

... The USA: |6| years with a president with no brains.

<snip>

... The USA: |6| years with a president with no brains.

Beats out the previous |8| years with a president with no brains.

I guess that makes |14| years with the USA running without any brains. :)

Beats out the previous |8| years with a president with no brains.

I guess that makes |14| years with the USA running without any brains. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I think the game is nigh unplayable because of the incredibly small screen (mentioned before). It gives me a headache to scroll around one tiny bit at a time. I also like the idea of having a worldview like Civ4. (I just use the "build train" screen for now but that doesn't help you with cities and resources that you haven't connected.)

Also, bigger maps (to prevent the "spaghetti bowl") would be appreciated.

I hate to burst your bubble, guys & gals, but I highly doubt the Railroads developers (if there are any left) are reading this thread and careless what we all want (a working game).

I disagree, they are probably mining us right now for ideas for their expansion pack.

One thing bad I will say about railroad games (in general) and RTD (in particular) - they always show these massive cities out in the boonies, as if they existed before the railroad did. Check your maps, but you'll find that most of your cities now are placed along the transcon. So it wasn't the railroad going to the cities, but the cities going to the railroads.
What I both love and hate about Sid's games are their historical aspect.
Mind you, no simulation/game perfectly emulates real life. Sid has left out tons of things as far as history is concerned. Such as train robbers, chinese and irish slave workers, and of course the many native Americans that hated the railroad.

1) Slower game. Let it run for days.
2) Huge maps. Railroads are about distance. We have a term in model railroading for what this game gives you - spagetti bowl.
3) Fiscal opertunities at some level like RTDx or even RT1.
4) Signalling that works and could be overridden. I loved RTD signalling!

So, basically, the Orignal deluxe with better graphics and interface.

Man, I loved those priority shipments. How cool to make that work well.
I think its funny. The first civ does not hold a candle to CIV4. Heck, I don't even like to play Civ3 anymore.
Yet people still want to play RTD.

Top Bottom