If CFC was a Company, would you Invest in it?

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
@newfangle said:
Somewhat of a different question.

If CFC became a corporation, would you deem it worthy enough to invest some of your hard earned cash in it?

Personally, I think I would. Seeing how far its come in the last 3 years, it seems logical that it can only go up from here.

Thoughts?

Personally I have always wanted to invest in CFC, i've even proposed it to @Thunderfall a few times. It never got much of a response tho, perhaps due to the risk of changes I would make :devil:

Last edited:
I mean, you've probably seen users with the 'Supporter' ribbon for personal donations, but by invest do you mean stock options..?

I mean, you've probably seen users with the 'Supporter' ribbon for personal donations, but by invest do you mean stock options..?

Both!

Would you support, and/or buy shares.

oh yeah , people can not be shut up or what ?

Perhaps we could strip it's assets and gut the moderators pension scheme to drive up the share price?

Last edited:
Personally I have always wanted to invest in CFC, i've even proposed it to @Thunderfall a few times. It never got much of a response tho, perhaps due to the risk of changes I would make :devil:

No, it's too niche and small. A good hobby place to be sure, but it relies on occasional donations when ads aren't enough to cover upkeep.

that kind of inertia that slows down?

The kind that doesn't want to move on or try new things unless an outside force acts upon it forcing it to leave against its own will.

I've invested 17 years' worth of posting, moderating, running writing competitions, and doing my best to be helpful in a variety of ways. That's not an insignificant number of hours of my finite lifespan.

Yes but not for ROI.

Also, the only thing that keeps traffic coming to this website (as well as new members) are all the mod files hosted here. People come here for the mods, then if they really like the mod, they might become interested in the development forums and follow them. Eventually they feel like they want to comment in order to shape development for future releases of said mods, so they register. After lingering here for a while, they become bored and curious and eventually find the Off-Topic forum all the way on the bottom. They find the other forums this way as well and get hooked on all the controversial and debate-oriented topics, feeling like they desperately need to put their two-cents in and "prove a point". Before long they are stuck here till the end of time.

Unfortunately, things have changed with the last two released of Civ (5, and 6) to where now all mods can be published on the Steam Workshop. Since all future releases will now have their mods at this more convenient "one size fits all" centralized location, there will be no reason to scour the web for websites such as this that host tons of mod files. Hence, I would say future Civilization fans probably will never even think to come here and eventually the people who do stay here will like disappear from the face of the Earth or something (unless one can find the fabled Fountain of Youth!).

I've invested enough to get the "Supporters" badge, and recently they even convinced me to adopt the "Moderator" badge. So far I haven't even ran away at top speed!

What do I get out of it? Discussion, yes, but also a creative outlet. No one IRL reads me Civ stories, but for some reason they're popular here. A side project editor for Civ3 turns out to be popular for long enough that I've worked on it for longer than any other project in my career, so it's actually kind of useful for a resume/interview story standpoint. My archival work also led to a story I can refer to during interviews, although that particular story wound up involving another forum, just building on what I'd started at CFC. And thanks to the C7 project, I can now say that my C# skills are up-to-date instead of rusty.

So, yeah, it's probably been worth the "Supporter" badge. Even if I do spend too much time here occasionally.

If I could invest to own 10% of CFC in return for 10% of the profit or loss? I mean, it would probably be an okay investment, CFC is well on its way to making it to 2050 and thus standing the test of time. But I'm not sure I'd want to turn CFC into a for-profit public corporation where anyone can invest in it. Thunderfall seems to have been a pretty good steward over the past 20-odd years; new management might actually take up that scheme to reduce the moderators' pension!

I've invested 17 years' worth of posting, moderating, running writing competitions, and doing my best to be helpful in a variety of ways. That's not an insignificant number of hours of my finite lifespan.
I met new people, from places that are far away and I may never meet those people in person, but I have made friends, learned from them, including to be aware of and in check of my own ego. I've fought with people on these threads, made enemies, healed friendships, and turned former enemies into friends, by getting a better/broader perspective on all the multitude of individuals on this forum. I have benefitted from CFC. I hope others have too.

I met new people, from places that are far away and I may never meet those people in person, but I have made friends, learned from them, including to be aware of and in check of my own ego. I've fought with people on these threads, made enemies, healed friendships, and turned former enemies into friends, by getting a better/broader perspective on all the multitude of individuals on this forum. I have benefitted from CFC. I hope others have too.
Same here. :yup:

Top Bottom