If you value your brain cells, don't read the 1 star reviews of BNW on Amazon.

I still don't understand what is morally wrong about pirating a video game:

'what difference does it make to the company if I watch Let's Plays! on youtube, or if I torrent the game? A purchase is a purchase no matter how I decided it was worth my money.
'
I understand why torrenting, enjoying the game and then refusing to purchase it because you've already played it is wrong. But why the act of torrenting being morally wrong?

(note: not why is it not illegal, what makes it wrong? Not harmful in any way, doesn't deprive anyone of revenue... don't get it)

I find Steam to be a nice alternative to having to manage my physical media. Beats the days of managing no cd patches. I like the service.

I commiserate with those who struggle with the service.

Hopefully Steam put the priority on improving value to their users and not to stopping people who aren't their users...at the expense of their actual users.

Hopefully gaming companies see pirating as a symptom and focus on treating the cause of the symptom. Games are rather expensive.

The Civilization series is one of the few games that I feel is worth its cost.

The Civilization series is one of the few games I play.

Declaring something morally wrong to someone who admits to doing that exact thing is trying to make them feel bad about it.

"I like to smoke cigarettes"
"Oh, I used to do that too, I smoked 12 packs a day but stopped because it was the most disgusting habit a human can possibly have that will make your genitals shrink, destroy your skin, fill your body with cancer and makes you a horrible human being. But I totally don't care if you do it."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's some kind of logical fallacy for what you did there, but I don't care anymore. If you want to think that I'm trying to make byzman13 feel anything, then go ahead.

I find Steam to be a nice alternative to having to manage my physical media. Beats the days of managing no cd patches. I like the service.

Not that I wanted this to turn into a steam thread, but I agree with this comment.

1 star review for games\books\movies without idiotic reasons like "My PC doesn't work, it will blow up soon" or "I don't like this (game\movie)" is just a waste of time, and not worth taking in consideration.

and world needs another hippy movement. Soo much anger within those people. :rolleyes:

I never gave 1 star to any movie over IMDB for example, even those I really hated. In that case, it's usually 2-3 starts (out of 10) because even in worst of the worst, you can find something redeeming... and I've also very rarely given 10, even those movies that I loved, simply because "it can always be better." :D

Ps. Piracy is not a big deal like some people turn it out to be. Most of the people who pirate tend to go out and buy legit game\movie\music if they like it. Studios making [censored] product is the biggest problem. Piracy helped dozens of indi game studios and indi filmmakers, because of the word-of-mouth.

Always will agree with my fellow countryman. ;)

Moderator Action: There is very little in recent comments to do with Civ5. Please remember that you're posting in the Civ5 forum here. If you wish to discuss the idea of piracy in general, you're more than welcome to head over to our Off-Topic forums. There's even a discussion on the topic going on as we speak. But please keep posts in this thread at least tangentially related to Civ5.

This is my favourite one:

"This game is incredibly fun and addictive (especially addictive), however is simplified compared to Civ 4. Also, multiplayer is a complete and total mess, which is the primary reason I got the game. For that reason it gets 1 star. One of its main features is broken!"

THE GAME IS AWESOME, but isn't exactly like Civ 4 and I don't like the multiplayer, so 1 star.

This is my favourite one:

"This game is incredibly fun and addictive (especially addictive), however is simplified compared to Civ 4. Also, multiplayer is a complete and total mess, which is the primary reason I got the game. For that reason it gets 1 star. One of its main features is broken!"

THE GAME IS AWESOME, but isn't exactly like Civ 4 and I don't like the multiplayer, so 1 star.

To be fair he said it was broken and not that he didn't like it, but it's still a ridiculous review.

@Camikaze, sorry about that :)

What I truly do not understand is why these people bought Civ in the first place. What were they expecting? Any description/review article should instantly let you know it's not an RTS. It's not an easy learning curve. Even that it requires Steam!

I don't want to be elitist, but don't buy the game if you are not smart enough to play it.

I need to go re-fill my meds now.

OH MY GOD THIS IS WONDERFUL
I am laughing so hard I am crying right now!

Top Bottom