Immortal Marathon Runner III: Tokugawa (RPC)

Fleme

Obey the Kitty!
First of all, this game is based on the suggestion of Ignorant Teacher. It will feature an isolationist play, role play if you will, featuring Tokugawa of Japan.

I'll further give a shoutout to our RPC supergenius madscientist since I feel like a game under such settings requires role playing and that's exactly what I intend to do here.

The map I've chosen for the game is my first generation of a Hemispheres map with medium sea level and islands enabled. There are 8 AI's on the map and the other settings include:

Bug 4.1
No Tech Brokering
Choose Religions
Marathon Speed
Large Map Size
All victories except time enabled.

Furthermore, I will impose certain rules on myself:

1) Never open borders with anyone unless:
a) They're buddhist or confucian
b) We're in pleased terms.
or
c) they're our vassals

2) Run Mercantilism as soon as it becomes available.

3) Never give into demands

4) Make unreasonable demands

5) Never sue for peace

6) Plan wars and declare against whoever is technologically most advanced

7) Never adopt a state religion unless it's Buddhism or Confucianism. FR is ok.

8) Rename captured foreign cities with Japanese names

9) Never trade technologies, maps or resources unless condition 1 is filled.

10) Use spies

11) Every attacking army must feature Samurai, given that the technology exists.

12) Win by military means

Rules are subject to change. I will not, however, change them to be easier but rather save myself the option of clarifying them.

So there. If I win this game I'll give myself a pat on the back and I must say that I've never been this excited to start a game :) Here we go.

Tokugawa is Aggressive and Protective. Starting Technologies are Fishing and The Wheel. The Japanese Unique unit is the Samurai and the Unique Building the Shale Plant. Once again, I'll forgo posting pictures of all of these details since I'm sure you all have your civilopedia handy.

Start:

How about it?

I love the rules!!! :goodjob: Are you going to narrate it grumpily? That would be awesome.

Why not settling on the hill 1n of the pig? Would make for a great Bureau capital and also give you more forests to chop the GLH (and another FP, of course).

Another option is 2N of the pig on the sugar (where the warrior is) for a 3:food: center tile. You get more hills and still get access to every resource we see.

I, Tokugawa Ieyasu, have risen to lead the Japanese people. A challenging task, yet one I accept heartily since our cause is true. Japan must be protected from foreign influence at all costs and one cause rises as paramount: We must rid our land of any and all of these so called rival civilizations. Mere nuisances.

On to the matters at hand:

For now, we heed the advice of our advisor Kosusinawa and found our capital, destined for glory, on the sugar fields where our valiant warriors already have set up camp. The name itself, Kyoto, incites respect.

Thusly, our scholars are set to discover the secrets of mining in an attempt to make sure we can craft fine japanese weaponry sooner rather than later. After all, what are great nations made on if not fine clubs and throwing rocks?

The band of warriors scurries north to find whether or not our land is habitable and see whether there are challengers.

3865 BC: An emissary from a pale, fire-haired woman is met. Her eyes gleam, filled with ideas of oppressing the riches of Japan and we start making plans of ridding our beautiful land of her, and her people's presence.

Behold her words. Spoken like a true weakling.

Soon after, our band of warriors stumble upon a village of savage natives who have no respect for the greatness of Japan and attack. Our warrior is then slain, by mere natives. Their last report involved a distant border to the north that did not appear to be the "English", as the previous intruders introduced themselves.

While this is a set back, we do not need the weak to pollute our people with the presence of weak warriors and as such, they needed to be culled. Our plan is set in motion and we will follow it.

Kyoto has finished building a work boat and our mystics have discovered that we can in fact dig into the ground for ore and precious metals. Discoveries like this make Japan great. To further increase finesse, we proceed to see whether some of these metals could be smelted into weaponry. The mystics refer to this new potential discovery as "Bronze Working". Who knew that clubs and throwing rocks could be improved upon?

After the rich source of clams had been tapped, we proceeded to train able workers to improve the surrounding terrains and build mines in the hillside. Since the mystics also promised that with the discovery of "Bronze Working" we could build axes, and that axes could be used for both building and destroying, another band of workers is trained to cut down the forests to provide shafts.

3010 BC: Soon after, the new technology dawns on the mystics and I am informed of this:

We have access to the precious metal! Surely this will aid our cause. Accordingly, a Barracks is set to be built so our future warriors can practice Budo and discipline in earnest.

Here I stop to consult my advisors Kosusinawa and Oroka Sensei (That's you, IT)

A 6 resource capital - nice! Too bad the jungle's going to cramp your early expansion westward. If you put a city 2N of the x, you'll get stone too with a nice GT/Moai city.

I like shyuhe's suggestion. Besides the stone, you also get another source of clam. I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of levees so that's also something to be considered.

Other than that, I'd try to grab the Great Lighthouse. It won't be so gamebreaking here because you won't be trading with the evil foreigners. It's just a monument to the Japanese as the light of the world.

The discovery of gleaming metal weapons has brought new dignity to our military and to our nation. Men carrying axes made of the finest Japanese copper patrol the streets and soon, the foreigners shall feel our wrath.

Our first hero decorated hero is Fukushima Masamori whose career began as a mere advisor but rose in the ranks to lead a squad of our newest and finest axe warriors.

Masamori travelled north, only to be greeted by yet another weakling.

Oh, how he desired to cut the weakling down. How dare he talk down to us like that. He will be the first one to be smite down.

Citizens of Kyoto were now hard at work to claim more land for Japan. The land was fertile and just waiting for a strict hand to govern it. Surely, I am destined to reign over this land. Families were commissioned to be sent north to found an outpost for our culture.

Nation fully bent towards claiming more land we proceeded onwards.

Somewhat disregarding my advisors I decided to found the glorious city of Osaka by the northern river to make use of the rich dye deposits and claim the rich sources of fish and corn.

After the founding of Osaka, more heroes rose from the vast ranks of Axemen, as famed warriors Hattori Hanzo and Honda Tadakatsu were promoted captains over units of fine axemen. With these three companies of axemen, Japan marched on India...

...only to find...

...that they're weak. Surely this bald jester is meant to be cut down and his people assimilated to Japan.

Matamori lead the attack and...

The city was named Fukushima in his honor. Hanzo and Tadakatsu moved on the second Indian settlement of Bombay.

and...

The city became to be known as Tadakatsuoke.

Oroka Senseis suggestion of a monument for Japan intrigues me so I order the mystics to unravel the secrets of sailing to make sure that our influence can reach far shores. Furthermore, I once more turn to my advisors for consult.

looks like Delhi is an perfect National Epic city

One thing you could do is a public statement to the world declaring that all lands south of Fukushima and west of the stone / clam area are Japanese and that trespassers will be shot.

I like shyuhe's suggestion. Besides the stone, you also get another source of clam. I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of levees so that's also something to be considered.
1W of the X would be the best riverside placement. That's probably where I would settle, because I place such low priority on stone.

1W of the X would be the best riverside placement. That's probably where I would settle, because I place such low priority on stone.

River is overrated. 2N of x gets 3 food sources, 4 hills, and stone as a 5th hammer tile. The only downside is that it lacks freshwater but it's on the coast so a harbor will take care of that.

i'd say 2n AND 1sw of the x :p

Surely such trivial matters pass easily by the Shogun, as presenting the advisors with a proper map. However, here is the current situation:

Bear in mind that we Japanese, while glorious by destiny, are still a humble folk with little understanding of culture. As such, we should for now settle close the resources we need.

Loving the roleplaying aspect here Jfleme, my two cents on your dotmap, the city next to the copper has zero food sources (oasis doesnt count) whilst the one next to the rice has 2, consider moving the copper city 1W and the rice city 2W... but then you do have a tendancy to ignore the advice that you're given:p...

btw i think you made the right call in your placement of osaka

Settle Smettle, Axe settling for the tree's, the barbarians, and the 2 'free' cities...

I thought this was to be played in Isolation, if so, Kill Elizabeth, and play in isolation.

I'm currently trying out the 'barbaric Monty' challenge again from Mad Scientist. Every other time I've tried, Ragnar, ends up being a monster, oh one time it ended up being Alexander, and Justinian has NEVER survived beyond 700 AD.

Axe's, Isolation, and spamming cities..

Wait... 3 Combat I axes can take out 2 cities? Really?

:agree: Those have to be the luckiest RNG rolls I've ever seen, :lol: and you didn't lose a single one! :eek:

Top Bottom