Imperialism II PBEM

Get on with the game! I’ve spent so much time moving steam yachts around the seas that I would rather not this game flounders over allegations that cannot possibly be qualitatively proven or disproven!

Get on with the game! I’ve spent so much time moving steam yachts around the seas that I would rather not this game flounders over allegations that cannot possibly be qualitatively proven or disproven!
Think of it this way - you're playing with more yachts than Charles Koch... :p

To minimize tensions between France and Germany and smooth over some careless remarks made by the Hawk Party, the French President agreed to the German request to demolish a stretch of Railroad in the Alps, and forgo the improved mining efficiency of a Mass Railroad in that area.

However, when the troops sent out to demolish the track, the Italians objected to the use of explosives near their border, and the Doves and Railroad Lobby in the Senate immediately passed a resolution ordering the demolition halted.

Embarrassed, the French President makes the following offer: If Germany destroys an appropriate section of track on their side of the border (or decides that a rail link is not so dangerous after all), then the French will compensate Germany in whichever of the following ways:

1. We will provide Germany with a new Ocean Liner.
2. We will give Germany 5 steam yachts.
3. We will give Germany 600 gold.
4. We will send marines to clear Tirana of defenders, so Germany can occupy the city. We might additionally provide some other modest service that Germany might request.

The French allow free trade with all ports for any nation that reciprocates with a similar policy. If a trade unit needs to stay on French territory, it should get permission first. Units can land on the coast beside Paris without seeking prior permission.

Current French policy regarding the independent nations of Europe is to assume that British independence guarantees for Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece will be enforced and that they are, in fact, independence guarantees and not an assertion that only Britain is allowed to conquer them. If British policy changes, then, of course, France will need a new policy also. Of course, France might take advantage of ambiguity in agreements if Franco-British relations deteriorate too much...

It is the French understanding that Tirana has been in the German sphere of influence for quite a while.

NEWS:

French Marines suffer moderate losses capturing Mandalay.

Attachments

• French1873aug.hot.zip
    111.2 KB · Views: 103
Is tech trading allowed? I think I omitted some of these basic house rules as I assumed they were in the ReadMe but having checked I cannot see them mentioned. If we can come to an agreement on them I will add them to the original post for clarity.

It looks like we agreed that New city building was forbidden, but rebuilding destroyed ones is ok.

I vote to allow tech trading to allow technologically backwards countries an opportunity to catch up. I'll understand if the Empires with a tech advantage would wish to veto this, but in the long run it would lead to a more competitive game IMHO. Thus far I'm not aware of any tech trading having occurred.

Money, city & unit exchanges should all be permitted provided they are not exploited in an unsporting manner (EG units swapped to a neutral power to run blockades etc).

It was remiss of me not to clarify these rules from the outset & the above are just my suggestions. If anyone objects then please say so.

I vote yes on tech trading, but capped at one technology per turn. The civs that are far behind Britain and France will catch up at a fearsome pace in any case. I have always seen technology trading as somewhat unrealistic, as most of the technologies researched are more precisely described as a change and upgrading of infrastructure and idealogy - its not as if there is a blueprint for the basis of a complicated society.

I forgot to get rid of Edinburgh last turn. Will finish the mop up next turn.

Now that I've thought it through, placing a numerical cap on the number of technologies traded would serve very little purpose.

Just to let you chaps know, I'm off to Gibraltar on Saturday night to check on the Queen's monkeys. I'll be away until near the end of the week. Hopefully this won't cause too much of a delay to the game.

Don't trust them! They're spies from Morocco! Meant to lure you across the strait and overspend on bric-a-brac in shady bazaars!

We agreed to ban tech trading at the start of the scenario.

Also the civ2 engine somewhat increases research speed for those behind, or slows it for those ahead.

We agreed to ban tech trading at the start of the scenario.

Also the civ2 engine somewhat increases research speed for those behind, or slows it for those ahead.

The 'key civ' system mostly tries to increase the research costs for those too far ahead, though there is a moderate cost reduction if you have three fewer techs than your key civ (assuming I remember this stuff correctly). The increasing research penalty isn't a serious problem for a civ that can deliver plenty of freight each turn. Also, at the moment, France and Britain are probably each other's key civ (or their own key civ), so there is no research penalty.

I'm OK with introducing tech trading/gifting as a 'catch up' mechanic. I suggest the following restrictions: 1. The receiver nation must have the prerequisites necessary for researching that technology. 2. The giver nation can't be the only one with the tech.

No News.

Attachments

• JapanSeptember1873.7z
    93 KB · Views: 152
No news. I found a ton of ships near NY - I was able to get a ship past but only had 1 MP left and had to leave a ship in an ocean square next to the city. There is still another ocrean space open but just a fair warning to anyone looking to trade that you'll want to have more than 1 MP lest you block American waters.

@Prof. Garfield - were you suggesting that we remove the RR at 9,45? France's offer of showing off their marines is intriguing.

Attachments

• GermanySeptember1873.zip
    111.5 KB · Views: 127
USA

All is well in the Republic

Attachments

• USA1873sept.7z
    93.5 KB · Views: 120
Reports from the Minister for War show that while the increased spending funneled to the various branches of the Armed Forces have given immediate results, reports from the Foreign Service show that the French have a firm headstart.

Can the British Empire catch up?

Attachments

• Britain1873Sept.zip
    117.1 KB · Views: 135
NOTICE: I seem to have overflowed my science counter by making trade deliveries. I have used the cheat menu to change my progress from -3248 to 31999 (of 32000). If anyone objects to this, they can reset the French science progress on their turn, and I will make appropriate quantities of deliveries to dig myself out of the hole.

On this topic, the tech paradigm is currently 400/10. Perhaps we should consider lowering it, since the French and British have proved that regularly filling the tech in a single turn is possible anyway.

French News: The French President has prevailed upon the various political factions to keep their opinions quiet and let him handle the Uganda Crisis. The President has made no significant remarks on the topic in the last month.

At least one native war party has been defeated in Africa.

Attachments

• French1873sept.hot.zip
    113.1 KB · Views: 134
Top Bottom