1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Inca Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 18, 2018.

1. gozon

gozon Chieftain

This makes it a stronger version of the tunnel? I believe tunnel entrances can only be built adjacent to where the builder is?

Does this also mean Inca is the only civ that can access the legendary +6 science campus :mischief:

Jkchart and cvb like this.
  2. jddods

jddods Prince

Yeah nah, reroll.

bite likes this.
  3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, the nations of Europe certainly had plenty of global impact on the world. So, European civ's lend themselves to heavier representation as civ's. Of course every civ game will include Rome, Greece, England, France, and Spain. Their continental commonality should disqualify them regardless of their achievements? Doing so is just the inverse of applying quotas.

And there are more accomplished men in positions of power than women in history. Certainly in both cases of geography and gender that can be attributed to being blessed with privileges and opportunities--accesses to animal and material resources, social injustices--but there's a difference between calling something unfair and calling it untrue. For the goal of inclusiveness, accomplishment is set aside, and civ's that scratched out a tribal existence are included, as are leaders without much notability.

Of course, if Rome, Greece, England, France, and Spain are more-or-less shoe-ins, we could probably do without the likes of Georgia or Hungary, but then that runs into a whole different arc of unfair exclusion.

4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, Canada settles tundra not so much for the ability to farm there, but to get double generation of strategic resources up there.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the civ, but their ability to better profit from emergencies does seem to encourage interaction.

Meluhhan likes this.
  5. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

We can also argue whether Georgia is really European or not; at the very least it's ambiguous. Or we could cut it and include Armenia instead next time...

6. Cuneiform

Cuneiform Warlord

I'm not sure that's true.

If you check out other parts of the video there are plenty of examples of Qhapaq Nan where the mountain tiles have just 1 entrance/exit.

7. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

But then who would Tamar lead?

Guandao, Kjimmet, Kimiimaro and 8 others like this.
  8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

That's a fair point. So, do you think in history that we had some leaders whose transformative accomplishments should be ranked up there with a Caesar or Napoleon (or higher, even), denied their credit due to historical bias?

Well, we should really figure that out! If they're European, they become inherently boring. :sleep:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  9. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

If the latest bout of memes is accurate, the Noongar. :p

An interesting question. I think there's a certain level where a leader, regardless of disadvantages, gets credit--you'll notice even the male-dominated histories of 18th and 19th centuries couldn't praise Elizabeth I or Catherine the Great enough, for example. But I certainly think there are leaders who are better than they've been generally given credit for (among English monarchs, King John, Richard II, and Mary Tudor have all gone up in historians' estimations, while conversely Henry II has gone down--also see Seondeok, who was regarded positively by her contemporaries but vilified by the Joseon historians). I certainly think that if succession laws had been fairer, we doubtless would have as many women who could stand alongside Caesar as men.

10. Tchuli

Tchuli Chieftain

Okay, so I'm watching again...
    I've seen a few examples where it had only one way in/out, but the Mountain itself was surrounded by other Mountains... So I guess these doesn't count.

At 33s, I've seen one that appears to have only one way in/out, but has 3 available tiles... So you may be onto something.
    But at 1m04s, when they show the Builder creating a Qhapaq Ñan, he definitely creates, at least, 2 entrances on that Mountain.

So I guess it's possible that it's only a graphical thing... And since the icon stands above the whole tile, I guess it's one more thing pointing in the direction that it's accessible by any way that you want.

CPWimmer likes this.
  11. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Seriously. I've tried gifting her cities on my continents to maintain our friendship, and even in remote areas she manages to lose them. She needs better loyalty bonuses.
    Ahh, so you're a man of good taste.

12. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It would have been great if Incan buildings were immune to earthquakes.

The Incan method of dry masonry by cutting and fitting stones tightly without mortar is very earthquake-resistant (and Peru is very seismically active), much more so than using mortar. Why? During an earthquake, the individual stones in Incan structures are allowed to jiggle but stay in place afterwards.

The Incas probably independently came up with mortar but decided against it after seeing an earthquake.

13. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

They are...because there are no earthquakes :(

14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

This is a missed opportunity by Firaxis not to include earthquakes. If there were earthquakes, the Incas would also have buildings immune to earthquakes.

Many cities around the world throughout history have been ravaged by earthquakes after all.

Morningcalm, Guandao and Duuk like this.
  15. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I agree firmly with this. Game systems should be roughly balanced so that the best choice in any given circumstance depends on what's going on in that particular game, either based on your personal preferences or the opportunities presented by the map.

My point was that when Deity players identify something as being always weak, then that option could use a boost. Similarly, if another choice always speeds up victory, it's suitable for a nerf. I think that improves overall gameplay for everyone. Even if you want to play the "weak" choice sometimes for fun, wouldn't it be just as fun if it improved your empire a little bit more than it does now? I don't see how that's anything more than a win-win.

I'm glad you're enjoying Civ 6 and find it similar to previous iterations of Civ, but I don't.

I'm a huge fan of the series. I've played them all and Civ 5 was my favourite. Do you think I'm disappointed in Civ 6 because I don't like the number 6? No. It's because Civ 6, so far, does not offer the type of gameplay that I enjoyed from Civs 1 to 5.

I'm okay with that. I'm happy to wait for Civ 7 and see what it brings. But I'd be even happier if they made some adjustments to Civ 6 in GS to bring it more in line with the experience that was provided by Civs 1 through 5, which for me was a real and meaningful challenge which made playing the game a fun experience, win or lose.

Wingednosering likes this.
  16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Macchu Picchu wonder video tomorrow? Any guesses?

Cooleatack and ChocolateShake like this.
  17. KnightModern

KnightModern Warlord

I tdon't think we need to focus on food if we play as ainca

in fact, we need to focus on production
    you want terrace farm to be built beside mountain so that you could work at the mountain instead of hills and still got some food for growth

or build them beside fresh water & aqueduct, more production

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm sure I got that with Australia once. Either way I don't think you need a tunnel to build one.

19. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

People complained that earthquakes give no positive...

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Fingers crossed.

SammyKhalifa likes this.