India wants to ape China

Yeah, I don't get it either. You can mock someone's politics, taste in art/music, favorite sports team etc. and people think nothing of it. But as soon as you mock religion, you're being a dick. Why does religion deserve such special treatment?

The logic seems to be that it's because religious belief is something that you have no choice in, as if it's an unfortunate affliction. Which is, when you think about it, a far more contemptuous attitude to religious belief that just making fun of it. At least the fun-makers are taking as their premise the notion that you are a thinking creature.

The logic seems to be that it's because religious belief is something that you have no choice in, as if it's an unfortunate affliction. Which is, when you think about it, a far more contemptuous attitude to religious belief that just making fun of it. At least the fun-makers are taking as their premise the notion that you are a thinking creature.

This case I presume is mainly Hindu vs. Islam. So its good to try to keep cool heads especialy knowing the fact that both India and Pakistan have both a nuclear arsenal...

Mocking someone's religion is the same thing as mocking someone's race or ethniticity, which most liberals will readily admit, is not cool. All these things are a strong part of your identity.

If you don't care about someone making fun of someone's religion on TV, why are you so offended when someone pokes fun at homosexuals? Sounds hypocritical to me.

Smellincoffee said:
It's episodes like this that remind us why we need to mock religion: because religion tends to be oppressive and stupid when given respect. India's caste system is still there, despite not being officially recognized.

What does the Caste System have to do with religion? It isn't intrinsic to Hinduism. The South (Indian south of the Deccan) hasn't ever been big on caste, the emergence of caste is a modern thing. While Southeast Asia which was historically Hindu-Buddist until the 1200-1400s, never had a caste system. Bali being the exception and that's been argued to have been the result of renewed interaction with India after the 1600s.

Mocking someone's religion is the same thing as mocking someone's race or ethniticity, which most liberals will readily admit, is not cool. All these things are a strong part of your identity.

The political views of a person may also be a strong part of a person's identity. Especially a politician's identity. Should we stop criticising politicians for their views?

No it isn't. It is the same thing as mocking one's political views or family traditions. People may set much stock by such things and often adopt what they were taught as children, but they can still freely change them. People ought to be encouraged to reevaluate and try to better understand their own beliefs and practices. Doing so in a calm and rational manner is best, but humor is acceptable.

I dont think when born into muslim country one has much options. Often the other choice is just your death.

What does the Caste System have to do with religion? It isn't intrinsic to Hinduism. The South (Indian south of the Deccan) hasn't ever been big on caste, the emergence of caste is a modern thing. While Southeast Asia which was historically Hindu-Buddist until the 1200-1400s, never had a caste system. Bali being the exception and that's been argued to have been the result of renewed interaction with India after the 1600s.

The caste system certainly isn't intrinsic to Hinduism but its been a part of Indian society since almost ever (2nd millenium B.C.E.), I think that's why it has been so difficult to break its actual grip on life in most of India.

If the government does block these sites, it won't really make any difference. The Even the Great Fire Wall of China is very porous and most internet users just make use of various proxies. It'll just end up being another everyday hassle, an inconvenience that just becomes part of life.

Ronojoy1917 said:
The caste system certainly isn't intrinsic to Hinduism but its been a part of Indian society since almost ever (2nd millenium B.C.E.), I think that's why it has been so difficult to break its actual grip on life in most of India.

But not the south which was the point. Even in the north, it was never as a general rule as institutionalised as it was in the 1900s say.

Yeah, I don't get it either. You can mock someone's politics, taste in art/music, favorite sports team etc. and people think nothing of it. But as soon as you mock religion, you're being a dick. Why does religion deserve such special treatment?

They just have to get used to it. I mock my religion a lot, mostly to point out extremities or contradictions, sometimes just to be a dick ;p. At first the people of my church, I hang out with, were shocked. Now they can put it in perspective and it gets them to think and even laugh sometimes. A few days back one them even said that she had started to appreciate and respect the way I make here think about issues and she, originally, comes from a more conservative church.

They just have to get used to it. I mock my religion a lot, mostly to point out extremities or contradictions, sometimes just to be a dick ;p.
Could you give us a sample. I am realy curiose about this.

Could you give us a sample. I am realy curiose about this.

pff, that's easier said than done. It usually comes to me during the conversations... Tomorrow I have another meeting with the group, I try to remember anything "smart" I'll say ;p

I dont think when born into muslim country one has much options. Often the other choice is just your death.
Practice is different than belief. Nobody can force you to believe X, Y or Z, then can just make you act like you do.

pff, that's easier said than done. It usually comes to me during the conversations... Tomorrow I have another meeting with the group, I try to remember anything "smart" I'll say ;p
Its interesting becouse its usually hard to find people who openly criticise the band they belong to. I would rather imagine one would try to secretly reform the group from within... Why do you stay inspite of the imperfection? Or are you satisfied just being smartass?

Practice is different than belief. Nobody can force you to believe X, Y or Z, then can just make you act like you do.
Well thats bad enough if you ask me.

Top Bottom