India wants to ape China

Things that can't be mocked are dangerous doesn't imply that things that can be mocked are not dangerous. I didn't think you would make that mistake.
He probably thought of mocking bears on Discovery channel rather than face to face:lol:

So what would you suggest as punishment for mockery of religion ,asking those who oppose its mockery .

And what action would you suggest google,facebook,yahoo et al take against 'objectionable content' posted on their sites .

Edit: While I support mockery of anything , in India we have seen riots induced in parts of country because someone burned koran,bible,gita or made a chappal garland on a deity in temple , or someone peed on something considered holy .

Totally disagree, but, it's sad to see another democracy that doesn't respect free speech

Brazilian democracy is even worse, and the Brazilian government too all the time threatens Google and Facebook and Twitter with fines or even a ban because they allow people to express forbidden thoughts.

So what would you suggest as punishment for mockery of religion ,asking those who oppose its mockery .

And what action would you suggest google,facebook,yahoo et al take against 'objectionable content' posted on their sites .

Edit: While I support mockery of anything , in India we have seen riots induced in parts of country because someone burned koran,bible,gita or made a chappal garland on a deity in temple , or someone peed on something considered holy .

I do not realy support mockery- even though I at times use it including with myself. And it seems that people in your country have realy different wiews of it then over here. Your goverment is obviously in difficult possition and it seems to me that companies should exceptionaly try to autocenzor religiously related stuff if they want to stay in India.

They should be held accountable for inciting a riot if that was their intent. If you go out of your way to make others angry enough to riot then you aren't considering the consequences of your actions enough before hand.

Mockery is a sign of immaturity.

Then most of standup comedy is immature.

The thing is that people make themselves to be easy targets by proclaiming that certain things are not to be mocked. This attracts comedians and others to mock those concepts openly.

Then most of standup comedy is immature.

I won't argue with that. :lol:

The thing is that people make themselves to be easy targets by proclaiming that certain things are not to be mocked. This attracts comedians and others to mock those concepts openly.

Comedy is meant to make people laugh. It's usually a sign of good times. Even when you are the butt of the joke, you can just laugh it off because it's all in jest.

Making a mockery of something with the intent to anger people is not the same thing. Usually such things come with a tone geared towards fueling hatred and intolerance.

Internet companies say they cannot develop a method to monitor defamatory or obscene material that's been posted on their sites. "No human interference is possible, and moreover, it can't be feasible to check such incidents. Billions of people across the globe post their articles on the website." That met with an angry response from the Delhi High Court yesterday, which said, "You just have a stringent check. Otherwise, like China, we may pass orders banning all such web sites."

Umm... Is this supposed to scare anybody?

Out of curiosity, would companies like Facebook or Google really care all that much if India blocked them? And does India expect these companies to be all like "Ohhh nooooes, you're too important too us, just tell us what to do."?

I imagine the only people that would give a damn if India blocked these web sites would be the people of India.

I don't see why religion deserves an ounce of respect. What can be asserted without evidence can be rebuked without evidence.

You Indians are whack. Ideally, one would force you to give up on that wackiness. Maybe you need the lack of taboo of the Internet to grow up? Or maybe you need just time and economic growth and in the mean time religious mockery on the webs just causes tension. Hard to say, but I certainly can understand the government.
It is easy to be all snobbish and complain about the Indian initiative of this thread, but put yourself in their positions, ruling over a country full of religious tension and potential violence and they are responsible for dealing with that.
Ideals and all are good, but if they replace the understanding of real-world-consequences, they reveal barely lesser ignorance than religious people going mad over someone pissing on their holy signs or something.

Umm... Is this supposed to scare anybody?

Out of curiosity, would companies like Facebook or Google really care all that much if India blocked them? And does India expect these companies to be all like "Ohhh nooooes, you're too important too us, just tell us what to do."?

I imagine the only people that would give a damn if India blocked these web sites would be the people of India.
Not at all.
India got over one billion people and a quickly growing economy. Those are attractive qualities for most businesses.

Not at all.
India got over one billion people and a quickly growing economy. Those are attractive qualities for most businesses.

So it would just be unfortunate?

Unless India has major influence over these companies then it's just a pointless demand. It's highly unlikely these companies will adopt censorship to stop Indias crying. Unless they are able to somehow filter out all the things that are hurting Indias feelings for India alone.

I don't see why religion deserves an ounce of respect. What can be asserted without evidence can be rebuked without evidence.
Its not about extrasomething for religions its about preventing people go nuts and fight each other over religious matters and provocation. So its rather social issue.

Its not about extrasomething for religions its about preventing people go nuts and fight each other over religious matters and provocation. So its rather social issue.

Then there is something wrong with those people. Why should these maniacs dictate the laws? If countries behaved like you say here, it implies that certain groups can threaten the government with violence if not this and this law is passed. And get away with it!

Then there is something wrong with those people. Why should these maniacs dictate the laws? If countries behaved like you say here, it implies that certain groups can threaten the government with violence if not this and this law is passed. And get away with it!

Well thats the kind of standard over there. I live in almost exclusively christian europe where we had nazis and other things for which we have passed special laws. So there are some differences as there are some similliarities...

Everyone makes assertions based on no evidence sometimes. The point is that there should be no law preventing us from criticizing these assertions.

That would be the ideal situation. But anybody here has a feeling that we live in ideal world?

Top Bottom