Indonesia First Look

Indonesia as enemy got me worried. We are nearing Atomic era and Gitarja still only Majapahit as her only city. Almost all my games where Indonesia is enemy (on TSL Earth or East Asia map), she does not settle any other city.
Weird. I've seen her in two games and both times she had a rather expansive empire. Granted, in the first game she conquered half of it from her neighbor Japan...

This TSL Earth screenshot (the minimap) shows Indonesian AI might have a problem.
(Side offtopic: How did a longship get there in the lake?)

Edit: Japan had successfully settled / expanded to South Africa and Western Canada. England had successfully settled near Hong Kong. Norway had settled in West Africa. I don't see why Indonesia had no other city besides her capital and it is already Atomic Era.

20171104212253_1.jpg

I think the longship was pushed there from the black sea, when the borders closed up on each other.

You would think Indonesia would settle Australia.

In my non-Earth map games, she manages to settle several cities.

This TSL Earth screenshot (the minimap) shows Indonesian AI might have a problem.
Did you check for barbarian trouble? Sadly, it still seems like the AI will keep pushing settlers towards the same location, even if they get captured by barbarians each time. This might explain her apparent non-expansion.

I was not able to check on Gitarja's nearby islands as I was preoccupied taking India (I am playing as Khmer) focused westward. I am also wondering how come Japan did manage to settle that far (South Africa) when the Philippines and Australia are much nearer.

I think the longship was pushed there from the black sea, when the borders closed up on each other.

That would explain it.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is intended. With Indonesia I was able to completely ignore housing. In fact most of my cities had at least 4 times the housing I needed mid to late game without ever building a neighborhood or sewer.

I have no idea where all the housing from improvements is coming from. The Kampong states it gives 1 housing. Why then in a city where I have 6-8 of them do I have 180 housing from improvements? Farms should've only accounted for a few more.

IndHousing1.JPG

I'm wondering if this is intended. With Indonesia I was able to completely ignore housing. In fact most of my cities had at least 4 times the housing I needed mid to late game without ever building a neighborhood or sewer.

I have no idea where all the housing from improvements is coming from. The Kampong states it gives 1 housing. Why then in a city where I have 6-8 of them do I have 180 housing from improvements? Farms should've only accounted for a few more.

View attachment 481750
That seems like a bug. I know kampungs give a lot of housing, but I'm pretty sure that's more than intended. If you have a save, I'd suggest posting it in the bugs forum.

Checked this yesterday and I confirm I replicated Indonesia's settling problems too. I wasn't on a TSL map but Large Island Plates (the same map I screenshotted Gilgamesh liking me despite a -severalhundredpoints penalty from warmongering). Indonesia had 3 barbarian settlers and workers nearby, and a single city (their capital). It was quite sad. ALL the other AI had multiple settlements, though some had more than others. Must be an issue with how Indonesia is coded.

Checked this yesterday and I confirm I replicated Indonesia's settling problems too. I wasn't on a TSL map but Large Island Plates (the same map I screenshotted Gilgamesh liking me despite a -severalhundredpoints penalty from warmongering). Indonesia had 3 barbarian settlers and workers nearby, and a single city (their capital). It was quite sad. ALL the other AI had multiple settlements, though some had more than others. Must be an issue with how Indonesia is coded.
But I can confirm that she doesn't always have problems - my current game is on a standard fractal map that turned out to be Pangaea. She has a large temperate peninsula all to herself and now has a military scored twice any of the other AI and higher than mine. Unfortunately, she's quite far from me, haven't figured out yet how I'm going to deal with her...

Top Bottom