infected with a virus when i refresh CFC? twice now

KMadCandy

giggling permanoob
disclaimer: i know nothing at all about computers or viruses. i should have screenshotted it but i do the "i know nothing about computers so OMG freak out" thing and reboot right away, next time i'll take a picture.

this has happened twice now, once yesterday and once today. both times when i refresh CFC after it's been open for hours, not a time recently after the once-every-24-hours ad. CFC is the site i visit, and therefore leave open and refresh, most often by far. it's my home page in fact. if this is related to my computer and simply triggered by refreshing a page, it would happen for CFC. since nobody else has posted about it, it has to be just my pc. i'd expect my virus software to know that if it knows about the virus in the first place but i know nothing about all that stuff. :confused:

i see several posts about new types of pop-up ads on the site. i haven't seen any of the pop-up ads themselves because i use a pop-up blocker. when i get the message about the virus, my pop-up blocker is also telling me that this website wants to install something-or-other that i think had Shell in the same and that it's from Microsoft Corporation, if you trust this website click here. well, i trust CFC but if it's a scammer then CFC is a logical site to use since it's popular, and Microsoft is a great name to fake since a lot of folks say "yeah sure okay" to it without thinking. and i still don't even know if this is related to my pc or to CFC. the blocker asking me about installing the program, and the virus infection i get hit with, are definitely related, both have happened only twice and together.

i have adaware and spybot and will run those tonight, last run was in january. they take hours to run and i have work i need to do daytime today so i have to put it off. and since it does not happen every refresh, and whatever "it" is, it's being caught by my anti-virus, i'm not ultra-freaking out. it's just when i see that box i go OMG OMG!!

i use IE. yeah yeah i know but i have firefox at the office and i just can't stand it. and i never get used to it since i'm a contractor and work at home 90% of the time. i forget which popup blocker i have, i've liked it. minor hassle in that i have to "ok" every time i want to add a link or image in a post here at CFC but i can handle that.

is my computer haunted? can anybody reading this make heads or tails of it? or do i just have to run spybot and adaware? note that even if you do have a quite logical explanation i'll run those programs tonight anyway ;). i'm just so curious about what the heck is happening, and running those won't give me a clue, even if they fix the issue.

I'm on firefox and I'm not getting attacked :dubious:.

Fifty and I were attacked simultaneously, yesterday on CFC. Norton cleaned up the scum, though...

"Downloader" at an IP address of 80. something.

I'm getting the same thing. Here's a screenie.

Attachments

• Warning Messages.JPG
    Warning Messages.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 276
Thanks for the report. I reported it to Telefragged earlier today.

Just for the record, I ran a complete virus scan and Norton found nothing. Same with Spybot, so no damage done. :)

hmmz, it's not just me then. altho mine didn't say Downloader like gmaharriet's did. spybot ran and found nothing, gonna run my other stuff while i sleep tonight.

thanks folks. on the one hand, good to hear it's not just my machine that's haunted, since i wouldn't know what the heck to do, so i'd have to nag hubby. but i'm certainly not thrilled that others are getting bothered by it too. the right people know about it now so yay!

I'm getting the same thing. Here's a screenie.
1. I have had that information bar before and I wonder what it is for.
2. The same exact moment I saw that info bar, Norton said it had gotten rid of the Trojan Horse "Downloader".
3. IE7 looks god awful on Classic Windows.

update: i have not had this happen at all after posting. either the squeaky wheel got the grease, or thunderfall is magic, or both :)

I hadn't had this for a couple months, but today it came back. Seems to be associated with a banner ad for "freegrocerycards.com" or something similar.

Just got hit up again, this thing is definitely back.

Top Bottom