Information Drought?

At this point, the only real information I can think of that would be of more than passing interest to me would be to find out that the leak was really a hoax and it was never Venice and/or the Shoshone to begin with. But that contingency is so remote as to not really even be worth considering. I'd have preferred the leak hadn't happened, since I hate to see NDAs violated and I don't actually mind anticipation, but the fact is the announcement of Venice and the Shoshone is a mere formality at this point. And all the other questions we have (How many extra tiles do the Shoshone get? How exactly does the Pathfinder's ability work in practice? Will Venice get a Merchant of Venice or nothing if they choose the Collective Rule policy? Will G&K Ethiopia be in the Scramble for Africa scenario? etc.) are simply points of clarification rather than major news. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen the leader screen intros up on the website by now. But two weeks from tomorrow I'll be playing the game, and then I can see all the leader screens and have the answers to all of these questions anyway.

In other words, the drought is still on, but the storm clouds are already on the horizon. Whether it drizzles a bit more before they get here is no longer so important.

I'm glad the leak happened. Do you remember the thread about Venice; going around in circles again and again? Not to mention the hypercube thread filled with outlandish ideas. I'm glad that's behind us. I'm so sick of speculation at this point.

At this point, the only real information I can think of that would be of more than passing interest to me would be to find out that the leak was really a hoax and it was never Venice and/or the Shoshone to begin with. But that contingency is so remote as to not really even be worth considering. I'd have preferred the leak hadn't happened, since I hate to see NDAs violated and I don't actually mind anticipation, but the fact is the announcement of Venice and the Shoshone is a mere formality at this point.

Same here. I enjoy reading about new info, but the leak was kind of anticlimactic, and has taken all of the excitement out of these last two weeks. Plus, Firaxis probably had (and has) planned something pretty big as the final reveal, but the leak ruined that. Oh well, like you said, we'll be playing in two weeks anyway!

I'd like to know what the changes are to the existing civs. That could be something pretty huge, even if the devs don't think it is.

I'd like to know what the changes are to the existing civs. That could be something pretty huge, even if the devs don't think it is.

I want to know this more than anything else, tbh. I'm eager (or should I be anxious?) to learn how existing civs have been modified.

I understand curiosity but seriously, would any new information make any difference at all? Since most of you are regulars here, I also wonder if anything that has been said since the original announcement made any difference (I.e., most of us were going to buy it anyways).

I do agree with Loaf about the leak. 2K has always been good about keeping a tight lid on things (look at how many CFC members are on the test team!).

I understand curiosity but seriously, would any new information make any difference at all? Since most of you are regulars here, I also wonder if anything that has been said since the original announcement made any difference (I.e., most of us were going to buy it anyways).

I do agree with Loaf about the leak. 2K has always been good about keeping a tight lid on things (look at how many CFC members are on the test team!).

Keeping us excited means we talk about it more irl with friends, either gamers who haven't tried CivV yet, or those who have tried, but are unsure about coming back for the expansion. I've convinced at least 2 friends already to pre-order BNW, and they wouldn't have otherwise. I was always going to get it, but if the features weren't this plentiful (actually, it's mostly the world congress, "improved" AI, and potential for ideological diplomacy battles that sells it for me and my friends), I probably wouldn't have done more than casually mention it otherwise.

And really, it doesn't take much to keep me excited. But a trickle of information like the Q&As are necessary. Last week was rough.

That makes sense. The only people I have ever known that plays civ are the ones here. But then again, I don't do facebook and the like.

They have to release something this week. It's getting ridiculous; I mean us Americans will be playing it the Tuesday after next and we still haven't had a complete confirmation on the final two.

Also, does anyone think the Shoshone and/or Venice got some sort of change and will be different from what was leaked? Perhaps the leaked versions were not the complete ones.

I think that Venice wasn't quite complete when it was leaked being as both UUs are just the unit name with "great" in front of it.

I think that Venice wasn't quite complete when it was leaked being as both UUs are just the unit name with "great" in front of it.

I liked the suggestion of calling the "Great Galleass" a "Grand Galleass" instead.

As for the "Merchant of Venice"? I think just calling it a "Merchant" would suffice. In-game, the unit would be seen as a "Venetian Merchant."

I think just calling it a "Merchant" would suffice. In-game, the unit would be seen as a "Venetian Merchant."

They would give the Merchant of Venice a name list just like they did with the Khan. You'll never even see Ventian Merchant of Venice as you'll see the unit name.

They have to release something this week. It's getting ridiculous; I mean us Americans will be playing it the Tuesday after next and we still haven't had a complete confirmation on the final two.

Also, does anyone think the Shoshone and/or Venice got some sort of change and will be different from what was leaked? Perhaps the leaked versions were not the complete ones.

I do suspect as much. The Venetian uniques' names suck. And I think the Shoshone are going to be balanced a bit.

This eerie sound of silence is killing me. Why, oh why, can't we have the last two civs properly confirmed along with changes to old civs? Please, Firaxis, be reasonable and release the info asap. I'm dwindling away here...

Agreed! I'm starting to worry that the lack of "critical info" such as the confirmation of the last two civs might mean they are behind schedule and that the launch might be delayed :cry: Please release the info and quash my pessimism!

Agreed! I'm starting to worry that the lack of "critical info" such as the confirmation of the last two civs might mean they are behind schedule and that the launch might be delayed :cry: Please release the info and quash my pessimism!

That's not going to happen this close to release day. The game will release on schedule as announced.

Kate mentioned yesterday (via Twitter) that she is going to be working on civ stuff today. Hopefully we see the results soon. Considering she's in the social media promotion business, I'd say it's a good sign.

That's encouraging! I don't actually have any idea how much in advance it has to be announced if there'll be a delay. I've just been looking forward to BNW for so long that I can't help but feel pessimistic so close to the launch date :lol:

Top Bottom