• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Information on Ancient Rome

Hi :wavey:

For various reasons, I've become interested in reading books about ancient Rome. My main thing is that I'm not that interested in the subject, but just enough that I would like to learn more. The only book I've read so far is Rubicon, which was a decent read and got me into the subject, but several people here did say it should only be taken as a basic history book, which I'm inclined to agree with.

So! If anyone here can give me some pointers on good books, authors or even websites where I can learn all about the history of Rome, that would be grand :)

How much do you know? Have you studied it educationally at all? The level of knowledge you already have would be paramount in finding good literature about Rome

If you're interested in shakespeare, or just a fictional drama set in Rome, then Julius Caesar is the way to go.

Helps you understand the political mindset of the Roman people for the most part, although not entirely history (the big event(s) were, but not most of the story....as in "based on a true story" sort of stuff).

How much do you know? Have you studied it educationally at all? The level of knowledge you already have would be paramount in finding good literature about Rome

I know enough to hold conversation - the basic history, the general how's and why's as to how things happened, so to speak

If you're interested in shakespeare, or just a fictional drama set in Rome, then Julius Caesar is the way to go.

Helps you understand the political mindset of the Roman people for the most part, although not entirely history (the big event(s) were, but not most of the story....as in "based on a true story" sort of stuff).

I'm not a fan of Shakespeare, but Julius Caesar was one of the few that stuck with me - I loved it so, and not because I got to play Cassius. I will look it out tomorrow and purchase it. Thanks for the reminder :D

ditto

I'd also look into the Punic Wars, especially learn about Hannibal. The wars with Carthage played a great part in making Rome what it was.

Besides, Hannibal is just plain awesome :)

on another side note, google Mt. Vesuvius (sp?) It's fascinating.

De Bello Gallico? :mischief:

Do you want books about Rome, purely informational, or do you want novelles/plays/etc. playing in Rome?

For a book I'd reccomend one called The Romans, by Karl Christ. It gives a pretty good overview of Roman history throughout it's different periods.

Top Bottom