Innovian Succesion Game #2

I'm inclined to call this a day and give this game up :sad:

I played 3 turns. From the start Monty had the declare on Toku option redded out, saying he had enough at his hands. Then at turn 3, this stack attacked us:

We're basically toast right now, there are even more units coming behind this one.

Montezuma’s huge army spread throughout Innovia, burning its cities, pillaging its farms and enslaving its people. Despite these losses Innovia’s army grew in size and quality so that by the time of the final battle they were outnumbered only 3 to 1.

Saggiuon tried every conceivable ploy: feint, fall back, flank, but every time his army maneuvered Montezuma’s overwhelming numbers simply blocked him. Slowly the battle front overran the Innovians and closed in on Saggiuon himself, placing the king and his retinue within range of Montezuma’s longbows. Arrows began to fall among them and found their marks among his bodyguards and couriers. They suffered their wounds and died without complaint, determined not to disturb their king. He issued orders frantically, trying to hold his dwindling forces together, but eventually Saggiuon saw that his army was out matched and the battle began to slip out of his control.

He had only one last order to give. He reached into his purple cloak and brought out a small scroll tied with white ribbon. Before he could hand it off to his last surviving messenger a bloody, crinkled hand reached out to intercept it.

“Pardon me my liege.” It was the old broken voice of the royal chamberlain, Abdul-Karim. His arthritic hand steadied the arrow that haeved in his chest with each effort to speak. “Allow me to deliver this myself when I see Montezuma in the afterlife.”

Saggiuon put his hand on the old man’s forehead in an attempt to comfort his dying friend but said firmly, “I have to think of our refugees.”

“Every Innovian is a soldier now,” replied the chamberlain. “As long as you yet live my king there is hope, I beg you to try and escape.”

Abdul-Karim had practically raised Saggiuon, but despite their difference in age and rank Saggiuon considered the old man one of his closest friends. Seeing his life long friend so near death revealed to Saggiuon what surrender would mean for his people. He crumpled the scroll in his fist. He gave the messenger a few instructions and sent him on his way. Perhaps there was still time to deprive Montezuma of total victory.

On the other side of the field Montezuma saw Saggiuon, surrounded closely by his bodyguards, move to edge of the battle. He ordered his slaves to hold the royal litter higher so that he might see better. The royal slaves strained under the weight of the throne and the whips of their overseers who were determined to impress their king by the level of motivation they imparted upon their slaves. Montezuma only cursed his subjects as he strained to maintain his balance on the tottering litter. On tippy toes he could see his massive cavalry peel off from the slaughter to intercept his enemy, but his concentration was interrupted as the throne rocked violently. It steadied after a string of invectives aimed at the slavers and their miserable chattel.

In the throng of fighting and dying soldiers another kind of shout went up after the Aztec cavalry had departed in pursuit of the fleeing king. It was Saggiuon’s signal for his troops to surge forward. The messenger had told the troops to feign death or injury and let the Aztecs advance past them. When they rose now the Aztec infantry were surrounded, all order was lost as the battle front dissolved into a multitude of single combats.

Montezuma was about to recall his cavalry but his slaves, startled by what appeared to be Innovian dead returning to the battle, upset his litter and accidentally threw Montezuma to the ground. This too rippled through the confused battle. The dead fight for Innovia, Montezuma has been slain. The Aztecs paused or took a step back, but without leadership the halt became a withdrawal which quickly accelerated into a route.

In the distance, Ahexotl, the commander of the Aztec horse archers caught up to the fleeing Innovian king. When he ripped off the king’s purple cloak it revealed a beleaguered old man with a bloody crinkled hand. Ahexotl cursed himself for being tricked and while the refugees were cut down and trampled he lead his swiftest riders back to rally the infantry and protect Montezuma’s litter.

Saggiuon himself, in the kit of a common swordsman was already headed in the same direction. He made good use of his lead as the horsemen had trouble forcing their mounts to gallop through the battle field made treacherously uneven by the heaps of fallen soldiers.

Saggiuon came upon Montezuma, sitting on the ground, wiping mud from his face, and cursing for his subjects to place him back on the throne and dress him in fresh cloths. The tantrum was cut short when he realized he was alone facing the Innovian king. Montezuma crawled backward through the mud while Saggiuon raised a sword high over his head. At the apogee of its deadly arc sunlight gleamed approvingly off the weapons steel edge. The glint helped Ahexotl find his target through the dust of the battlefield. Time nearly stopped for him. He steadied his drawn bow waiting for the horse’s stride to reach the point where he could fire while 50 yards away the sword began accelerating toward his king.

Montezuma screamed with fear and pain as the blood spurted across his face, its warmth accentuated by the coldness of the mud in which he huddled. But his scream was premature. The sword fell to the ground uselessly as did the body of Saggiuon the Wise One, an arrow point protruding from his chest.

As the horsemen came within range of Montezuma’s voice he regained his composure enough to curse their lateness. He insisted they cut off Saggiuon’s head but Ahexotl deflected the demand insisting, repeatedly, that the Innovian king was truly dead. He could not understand why that fact caused him such grief.

In the years to followed, Ahexotl’s rank and influence grew. He lead brilliant charges against the Japanese, he suffered grievous injury and witnessed the deaths of many brave men while carrying out Montezuma’s commands. As his fame grew he became one of the king’s most trusted military advisors. It became his job to urge Montezuma to boldness when it was required, and to suffer the calumny when it failed. More and more he came to realized that he served not a king but a man that would sit cowering in the mud waiting for his enemy to strike him dead. Shortly after that Montezuma was deposed without struggle and Ahexotl start his own dynasty. This time a dynasty based on bravery, respect for the people, and wise leadership, a dynasty based very much on the histories that he had managed to recover from the reign of Saggiuon the Wise One.

:clap:

By the way, the final save

Attachments

• Innovia AD-1190.Civ4SavedGame
    224.8 KB · Views: 163
Ah, what a shame. Still, never mind. Well done on getting this finished anyway, guys. Sorry I haven't been around here in a while... I only just checked up on this thread now. :)

On a small continent with Toku and Monty is about as bad as it gets though. Anyone up for another one?

Lets just wait and start a BtS SG in 3 or 4 weeks. Anyone know enough to start picking leaders?

The Netherlands are now in. :mischief:

I'd need to check out the traits and unique units of the leaders before I'd make any firm decision...

Well word on the street is that the UU is a +2 Str galleon with extra cargo space that can enter territory w/o an OB. The UB gives +1 hammer to the cities water tiles. That sounds like plenty of fun to me. William of Orange is Financial :cool: and Creative :lame:

By the way, I think we should step down a level or two for the next game, seeing as there will be a BetterAI.

Well word on the street is that the UU is a +2 Str galleon with extra cargo space that can enter territory w/o an OB. The UB gives +1 hammer to the cities water tiles. That sounds like plenty of fun to me. William of Orange is Financial :cool: and Creative :lame:
Sounds like a lot of fun indeed. By the way, the original Catherine from vanilla Civ4 (Financial/Creative) was one of my original favourite leaders, so I reckon the trait combo will prove quite nice. :)

I agree with waiting for BtS. I think a lower level would be a good idea too, maybe 2 levels lower. My approach to skill building is to take a level I can handle and learn how to smash it before moving up, not one beyond my reach and bleed until I learn how to survive it.

I actually wouldn’t mind two levels lower. That way we can be sure to experience all the new stuff such as…

The option to add the Next War scenario to the end of the epic game as an extra modern era!

Is it ok for you guys that I take up this game, and see what i can make out of it ?

But of course :) I will do some moves here, showing how to make a survival war economy out of an apocalypse.

1190- BATTLE FOR SURVIVAL

First out, I see that our northern city, with forces in it and iron, will fall within the very turn, so I need to upgrade all relevant forces I have right now, not later. I also do need to change Civics in order to stand a fighting chance.
The choice lands on Vassalage and Slavery, so I can spend some of the people on drafting units. Since I expect hunger to kick in very soon, I rather spend people before trees first.

I decide to put up the last stand around Medina, which stands on a hill and has a fine river to the north. SE there is a hill I intend to build a fort in, for reinforcements to tickle in from Mecca and Bagdad.
First off, I promote axemen to macemen, which is the first reform, this happens in Hittite and Medina, till there is hardly gold left..

Having forcibly drafted my peasant population into become Longbowmen (very British indeed), and sent all of my forces and workers to Medina for a last stand, I have looked into defenses. Medina was at the time of invasion producing National Epic, not Heroic Epic - which is fine for me and you, but bad for Innovistan. As soon as National Epic is done, I make city wall, and I build a fortress overlooking the hill.

There are several assaults on Medina, all are repulsed, as Bagdad is left open and falls to Aztec Knights.

Suddenly India wants to trade furs for clams, suddenly Japan wants us to stop that trade. Then Rome meets us, and we trade philosophy for Compass and 80 gold (1300 AD). Everyone wants to meet a man at his deathbed.

Crossing the river and charging uphill is brutally tough, especially when the men are well trained and motivated to fight for their lives.

Wall is finished 1280 AD, and I start building a galley for the Exodus.

Medina is full of frantic and blooded men, but they stand by the ramparts and fight with valor. This is like the 300 movie.

Mecca falls and we destroy our own fort and retreat into Medina. The pillagers themselves stand on the hills, fending off Aztecs knights until they fall

Top Bottom