Installation order question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBinary

Warlord
Hi All,

So I'm going to start from scratch and re-install everything with 3.13 out now. I just have too much crap that could break other crap, so I figured I'd start fresh, but I'd like to get advise on install order. Here is what I'm thinking:

Civ4 -> BtS -> BtS 3.13 -> Unoffical patch -> Blue Marble -> BUG 1.0(0|1) -> FBUG 1.00 (hopefully this weekend?)

That the proper order?

Thanks

yep, that should work. As long as FBUG is installed over Blue Marble, then it will function properly, but still a good idea to install BUG first too.

Maybe I should incorporate BlueMarble into FBUG...

In case you weren't kidding ... No, don't do that. We're all about options for our players!

In case you weren't kidding ... No, don't do that. We're all about options for our players!

Well, to tell the truth FBUG isn't optional at all.
IMHO the only thing that FBUG has in common with BUG is that it doesn't alter gameplay (and of course some members of the team).

Anyway, I think that including BM will make it too big...

For purely non-technical reasons I am against including BM in FBUG. To me they are orthogonal mods. Sure, they both add graphics, but the similarity ends there.

If BM issues and update, we need to issue an update. Think of the problems we had keeping BUG up-to-date inside FBUG -- and we wrote both mods! Also, we'll add more confusion for our users.

@Cammagno - By "options" I meant the option not to use BM. Blasphemy! :lol:

Ok, I have a question.

I have a couple Python mods that I use (Pirates Mod & Enhanced Tech Conquest... they're in my sig).

I created a seperate mod directory, and put the FBUG in it (the current one from the SVN). Then I put my Python mods in there too, added them to the CvCustomeEventsManager, etc.

When I fire up the game, my Python mods don't seem to work? In order sequence, I have them loading after FBUG (further down in the CvCustomEventsManager.py file).

Is there something else I should be doing, too?

You import the modules at the top and then add them to the event manager in the middle, right? That's all you should have to do for event-based mods. When I get home tonight (going out to a BBQ in SF) I'll take a look at your mods.

BTW, are you using FBUG (ethnic units/cities, quotes, etc) or BUG (options screen, interface goodies)? I assume the latter since FBUG doesn't include any Python, but I want to make sure.

I used the one that came from the SVN, which looks like FBUG. I don't use any of the flavor graphics for the time being.

The mods I have you just insert the approperiate code into the CvCustomEventsManager and they fire right up. I did that this time around (modifying the BUG CvCustomEventsManager) and they don't seem to be working.

I'll play around with it more...

Both BUG and FBUG are in the same SVN repo, just to confuse it a little more. FBUG is the graphics mod.

I can see one problem with the Enhanced Tech Conquest. Both mods (yours and ours) make use of CvModName.py, each specifying a different mod name to help CvPath.py find the INI files. The first problem is that Civ4 gets confused when you try to import CvModName because it exists in two locations.

What you need to do is

1. Change Python/Contrib/CvModName.py to use the name of the mod directory you created for its "modName" variable.
  2. Delete Python/CvModName.py as it conflicts
Hopefully that's it, but I have to leave. I'll be back in like 6 hours.

Ok, I removed the Python/CvModName.py.

Then I went into Python/Contrib/CvModName.py and changed the ModName to "Test Mod".

Then when I went to fire up the game, I would get the blank interface, and from the main menu couldn't access the Civilopedia. But when I switched the ModName back to "BUG Mod", it worked just fine... but then my other Python mods wouldn't work.

I'll keep playing around with it.

Here is what they look like:

CvCustomeEventManager:
Code:
# $Source: /usr/local/cvsroot/Civ4lerts/src/main/python/CvCustomEventManager.py,v $

import CvEventManager

import CvPiratesModEventManager
import CvEnhancedTechConquestEventManager
import CvViaAppiaEventManager

import ReminderEventManager
import autologEventManager
import Civ4lerts
import MoreCiv4lerts
import UnitNameEventManager

import BugOptionsEventManager

def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        super(CvCustomEventManager, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
        # map the initial EventHandlerMap values into the new data structure
        for eventType, eventHandler in self.EventHandlerMap.iteritems():
            self.setEventHandler(eventType, eventHandler)
        # --> INSERT EVENT HANDLER INITIALIZATION HERE <--
        CvPiratesModEventManager.CvPiratesModEventManager(self)
        CvEnhancedTechConquestEventManager.CvEnhancedTechConquestEventManager(self)
        CvViaAppiaEventManager.CvViaAppiaEventManager(self)

ReminderEventManager.ReminderEventManager(self)
        autologEventManager.autologEventManager(self)
        Civ4lerts.Civ4lerts(self)
        MoreCiv4lerts.MoreCiv4lerts(self)
        UnitNameEventManager.UnitNameEventManager(self)

BugOptionsEventManager.BugOptionsEventManager(self)

CvModName:
Code:
#CvModName.py

modName = "TEST MOD"
modVersion = "1.0"

civName = "BtS"
civVersion = "3.13"

def getName():
	return modName

def getVersion():
	return modVersion

def getNameAndVersion():
	return modName + " " + modVersion

def getCivName():
	return civName

def getCivVersion():
	return civVersion

def getCivNameAndVersion():
	return civName + " " + civVersion

The name of the Mod's folder is "TEST MOD".

Okay, one more change I think should do it. Change the modName back to "Test Mod" (that's the name of the folder inside the Mods folder, right?) and also rename the BUG Mod.ini file to match it: "Test Mod.ini"

If your mod already has a file with that name, you must merge the two INI files into one, and hopefully they don't have any section/key collisions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom