Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

You do have to exit the script to display the Mods menu.

It is just light editing of the right .lua file with a text editor, correct?

I would not have thought to characterize that as scripting. I would guess that ncik32 was referring to the hoops one had to jump through previously with the Steam version, and your Applescript file.

That's correct, but I never make assumptions about people's familiarity with script editing. The AppleScript route for Steam was arguably far simpler than finding the right .lua file, fixing privileges and using the right editor! That was part of why it was produced ( not by me, though ).

AlanH fantastic mod looks great.

It seems similar to the graphs that you get when you retire from a game but they are available all the time? !!!

Spent about 5 hours today trying to get it to work on my Macbook air with CIV5.

Here is where I am so far

Running CIV5 through stream. Civ5 version is vanilla with just Denmark the vikings added.

So I loaded V .17 from the mod workshop and configured it - CIV5 says it installed ok (1066 year of the viking destiny mod is enabled also)

So I start a new game but no Infoaddict under the "Additional Information" scroll

Some additional things that I tried
v .19 and v. 22 in order but no luck

I even downloaded "Civ5 enable stream mods" and ran that in a terminal window - but no luck.

Thanks for your help - I realise that you have probably been answering questions on this mod sin approx 2010 :)

You're trying to run infoaddict in the Steam version of Brave New World, right? It works ok here, but I haven't tried it with your destiny mod.

You're trying to run infoaddict in the Steam version of Brave New World, right? It works ok here, but I haven't tried it with your destiny mod.

Nope just using base version of Civ 5 for MAC on Stream (version 1.0.3.279)

Ok. It's Steam, not 'stream'. I don't have the base version. Make sure you are loading the correct copy of infoaddict for that version of Civ5.

@AlanH, or anyone else, have you tried getting Windows Civ5 to run using Wine? There is a DLL-based mod I would like to try, but I am not interested in running Boot Camp just for that. I recently had some luck getting SMAC running under Wine, and it was not terrible. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry, no. As I have a Parallels Win10 configuration, I use that if I want to run Windows stuff. It doesn't support the latest DX versions, but then I doubt if WINE does either.

@beetle I've been experimenting with Wine over the past few days, and so far it has given very good results. I started with Porting Kit, which seemed to work very well. Then, simply because I had got it in a bundle a while back, I tried Crossover. This also works very well. I haven't tried any DLL mods yet, but so far, so good. Various other interface mods that I use seem to be working normally. It is a lot less faff than dual booting with Boot Camp, which I simply didn't bother with after a while. This version of Crossover allows you to play Civ5 with the DX9 version. Installation of Porting Kit / Crossover took about five to ten minutes. The longest part of the whole process came afterwards with waiting for Civ5 to download from Steam, which took something like fifteen to twenty minutes with my connection. I've been running on a 2017 MacBook Pro Retina 13in with i5 processor. The fans kick in fairly early, but they do with the Mac version, too. An odd thing I noticed was that the keyboard didn't work when I first launched Civ5. On the second run it worked normally. No idea why.

Guys, my Civ V 1.0.3.279 under Wine on Mac, doesn't run any mods. They are installed and enabled in the Mods menu, but none of them loads with the game, and I tried them, even one-by-one, like InfoAddict which definitely should work.
I created the wrapper with Porting Kit like @mbbcam, installed all the necessary winetricks, C++ and dx9. Tried different wine engines and even different versions of the game, nothing worked.

The strangest thing is that back in last May, I played it under Wine with several mods and they worked perfectly, however I don't think I did anything differently.

Do you have any tips what to do?

Wow, I am really impressed you guys! I have not heard of “Porting Kit” before. Where do I read more about that?

Just google "Porting kit mac". It's basically a manager for Wine ports and a front-end for Wineskin, and allows to download pre-built wrappers from the Porting Kit website. It's a bit more user friendly than Wineskin in itself, but still uses Wineskin.

Okay, I'm such a NOOB :D I didn't notice the "Single Player" option on the top when the mods are loaded, so went back and started the game from the normal screen... Of course the mods didn't load. Now everything works perfectly and runs very smooth on high settings. In case I experience crashes I come back to report it, but so far it is pure AWESOMENESS under Wine.

UPDATE:

Well, I tested it and froze a lot under Wine, I cannot recommend it. Runs much smoother on a virtual machine anyway.
Try Windows 10 LTSB, which is an official (not a hacked) "light" version, without all the MS bloatware. It is VERY resource light and runs wonderfully, running with Civ 5 it used 1.3-1.5GB memory (small map). This is the best Windows edition since XP, I'm really surprised.

And to run Civ 5 mods on a Mac, that's the best solution to date.

Last edited:
Hey,

bit of a noob when it comes to modding and editing game files etc. so please forgive me. I'm running an app store campaign edition of the game with no expansions. I've made it through to step 3 of the instructions, but when I try to save the file, it says that I'm not able to because I don't "own" the file, so can only save a copy.

Also when I tried to search for the MODS folder, I couldn't find a "containers" folder.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

I'm running an app store campaign edition of the game with no expansions.
It might be that none of this will work. The campaign edition has that name because they explicitly say they are not supporting mods and multiplayer.

I've made it through to step 3 of the instructions, but when I try to save the file, it says that I'm not able to because I don't "own" the file, so can only save a copy.
From Finder, Control-Click the file and select “Get Info” from the pop-up menu.

The bottom pane of the window that comes up should be “Sharing & Permissions” with two columns, “Name” and “Privilege”. You should see yourname (Me) as the first or second line. You want your corresponding Privilege to be “Read & Write”.

If it is already “Read & Write”, then I cannot help you with this particular error message. If it says “Read Only”, then click on that and change to “Read & Write” and close the window. You might be prompted to enter your admin password.

Also when I tried to search for the MODS folder, I couldn't find a "containers" folder.
The path to my MODS folder is: Documents > Aspyr > Sid Meier's Civilization 5 > MODS

But I am not sure why you were looking for a “containers” folder?

It might be that none of this will work. The campaign edition has that name because they explicitly say they are not supporting mods and multiplayer.

From Finder, Control-Click the file and select “Get Info” from the pop-up menu.

The bottom pane of the window that comes up should be “Sharing & Permissions” with two columns, “Name” and “Privilege”. You should see yourname (Me) as the first or second line. You want your corresponding Privilege to be “Read & Write”.

If it is already “Read & Write”, then I cannot help you with this particular error message. If it says “Read Only”, then click on that and change to “Read & Write” and close the window. You might be prompted to enter your admin password.

The path to my MODS folder is: Documents > Aspyr > Sid Meier's Civilization 5 > MODS

But I am not sure why you were looking for a “containers” folder?

Thanks for the speedy reply mate, tried changing the file to "read & write", but it still says I need to duplicate the file if I want to edit it, which I don't really want to do 'cause like I said I'm a noob to this and am worried I'll screw the whole system. I'm guessing they've gone to extensive measures to block any mods. I also can't find an "Aspyr" file in my documents folder, so even if I could edit the Main Menu I wouldn't be able to install mods anyway. Guess I'll just have to wait for steam to put the game on sale again and mod it that way, real shame, absolutely love the game but from what I hear the mods make it a completely different experience. Wish I had never bothered with the app store tbh. Thanks again.

When you want to edit a file you don't own, you have to change permissions for the file AND for the folder that contains it. This is because when you save the file the parent folder's data changes as well.

ahhhh that makes sense, thank you. Any ideas on why I can't locate the Aspyr folder in order to find the MODS folder? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Top Bottom