Instrumental music

I used to be a huge progressive rock junkie in my teenage years. It's still probably one of my favorite "genres" of music (although I never cared much for the so called neo-prog and prog-metal scenes). At first, you're able to appreciate and feel for music from obscure bands like Magma and Gryphon while all your friends were into Limp Bizkit and Creed or whatever, it sort of becomes your private world of mysticism and it's awesome. You dabble in all the complexity and you get uplifted by the keyboard harmonies and chord changes.

But at some point I kind of lost the passion for it. At first, you realize that the complexity and swirling keyboard melodies are sort of like cotton candy. It can be quite hard for many young prog-rock fans to be able to appreciate a simple Kinks or 80s synth pop song. But it's not for the reason they think. It's not because it's simpler, it's because there isn't some sort of mystical fantasy sweet candy attached to it.

So yeah, prog rock is a great kind of music that I still enjoy. But I do think that to delve really deep into the music, a Beatles song may be equally difficult and complex to appreciate than a Yes song. It depends on who's listening, and what you're used to get out of your music.

Anyway, this is just the thought process of someone who sometimes took music way too seriously, collects vinyls and spent years reading up on bands and albums on the internet. When a random person casually listens to music, they,re going to give the impression that the Beatles song is more "easy" because it's simpler to get into at first glance. But in my opinion, to be a serious "student" of certain folk artists takes a lot more effort than being a prog-rock junkie where your fantasy world is spoon-fed to you. I guess I still fail as I'd still rather listen to "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" than to "Blonde on Blonde" 100% of the time.

In my opinion, you're never really a huge music fan until you get out of your cocoon of one-music-style. I just remember all these guys with the faded Dream Theater t-shirts and I think "um... okay well good for you", and these other guys you just want to jolt with a scream of "There's more to music than just Swedish Death Metal!".

Well, you can do whatever you want I guess. Every argument must always end up with a group hug and a "aw to each his own" anyway.

Green Onions, Cherry Blosson Pink Apple Blossom White, Vengeance, A Walk in the Black Forest.

Top Bottom