1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Intellectural Property rights/ownership for mods

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ryuga, May 1, 2007.

1. Ryuga

Ryuga Chieftain

It's since 1970.

2. drzoidberg

drzoidberg Prince

I personally don't care about IP laws. It's about respect and not about not getting caught. A person or organisation that's put money and effort in creating an IP deserves compensation. Just the fact that somebody has from nothing created something, that others want to be a part of, I think should indicate that they deserve all the credit and money they can get.

That said, I do think that the copyright length today is rediculously long. 70 years after the creator is dead. I don't understand why a fictional idea has a greater need to be protected than other greater inventions, like penecillin for example. I think that 20 or 30 years after a creation it should be public domain. Of the simple reason that it by then generally has become an intrinsic part of the culture. People have by then taken it into their hearts and made it a part of themselves. Letting somebody own a part of their identity, I'm not cool with.

3. Ryuga

Ryuga Chieftain

Much modded content are not created from nothing. A better phrase would be original.

70 years is a long time.

4. drzoidberg

drzoidberg Prince

Everything is arguably based on something else somewhere along the line. But the fact that there are people who want to create new material within the specific fictional universe created proves that, the fictional universe is in itself has a value. If people don't want to take it and run, but instead felt the need to develop it into something different, well then....it's a new IP. And the owners of the original IP deserve nothing. They stole their idea from somewhere else to begin with, didn't they?

Picasso said every wise word that needs to be said on this subject. He had his **** together and probably created more original content than any other man alive or dead.

5. Ryuga

Ryuga Chieftain

I understand what you are thinking, but current IP laws (especially US) are eschewed towards rewarding corporations who trademark and patent their IP. If you want to change that, contact your congressmen, or run for public office, like I said before, :D.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Clearly, you are a consumer and not a creator.