Interesting Times - The AI Side of RFC

I don't understand the situation described...:confused:

I think that what he means is that he plays as Babylon, has the city Babylon be independent, place a unit in unreachable Antarctica (using WB), and then have the independent Babylon take the place of the civilization. Since the player would have no cities at all, however, I'm not sure that would work.

Yes, correct.

Also, isn't the whole point to see what the AI does to the world, without player intervention?

I'll think about it. I'm going to start in a couple of days, and I'll decide what to do then.

If anyone else wants me to do baseballpie's suggestion, just tell me in the comments.

And I'm also presuming your Turkish AAR is dead?

Unfortunately, yes. I tried to model that story after Sisiutil's Princes of the Universe and similar works, but my creativity - and time - ran out after just a few updates. I'm thinking that this one will be more up my alley, since I will not be trying to create a whole story, just following what the AI is doing.

Well, since no one else is voting, I'm assuming you all want me to play as Japan. I'll give the vote until noon tomorrow - if someone wants me to play a nation other than Japan, you better vote now.

BTW, I plan to have my first update early Monday, if not sooner.

EDIT: The winner is Japan! I will start playing momentarily.

The year is 650 B.C...

For years, the Japanese people had been wandering the islands of Honshu, Kyushu, Shikoku, and Hokkaido. Their leader was a man who went by the name of Tokugawa, and under his guidance, the Japanese people had grown to the point where they were ready to settle down. Now, he felt that it was time. After spending one last time searching, they finally found the perfect spot. Here, half of the Japanese people settled down to found the city of Kyoto. As the rest of their people went east to settle more parts of Japan, the rest went to work building Kyoto from the ground up.

Tokugawa was determined to build a civilization in the land of the rising sun that would stand the test of time...

Well, enough about Japan! If you're reading this, you're here to see what idiot things the AI nations have done here, so let's get on with that! :D

First up, right across the sea, is our (almost) next-door neighbor, China. Here's the current situation for them now:

As you can see, they currently have three cities: Capital city Beijing (pop. 6), their second city Qingdao (pop. 5), and Nanchang (pop. 3), their southernmost city. They seem to be doing well, although their infrastructure is still grossly underdeveloped. Outside of a few farms, they have almost nothing in that department. What I find interesting about China at the moment is that they have left Nanchang completely undefended. Yes, it is currently their least important city, but you would think that they would have somebody guard it. One last thing of importance - the Chinese have founded both Confucianism and Taoism, whose holy cities are Beijing and Qingdao, respectively.

On to our next contestant, India, led by the mighty Asoka:

Unlike China, India only has 2 cities at the moment: capital Delhi (pop. 4) and second city Hyderabad (pop. 1). Delhi seems to be more developed than any of the Chinese cities, but is still smaller than Beijing (or Qingdao). Another thing of note is that the Indians, like the Chinese, have left their southernmost city completely undefended. They better get some soldiers into Hyderabad soon, because IIRC, a bunch of barb war elephants will appear in the area after a while. Also of note is that India has now founded both Hinduism and Buddhism, and Delhi is the holy city for both.

Heading further west, we arrive in the newer nation of Persia:

Persia currently has three cities: capital Parsa, second city Pura, and the city of Shush (all pop. 1), which flipped to Persia after the ethnic Persians in the city revolted against Babylonian rule. Despite being the newest civilization in the area, they seem to be the most powerful, having the largest army, and the most number of cities, tied with Babylonia. Off-screen and to the north, they have a small force of their famed Immortals off to try to capture the city of Afrosiab, which the Persians plan to rename Samarkand once the city is theirs. The Persians have failed to found any religions (though Shush is a Buddhist city), but they have managed to keep all of their cities defended.

Heading into the famed Fertile Crescent, we find the ancient nation of Babylon:

Babylon has three cities - Babili (pop. 4), known to the rest of the world as Babylon, second city Ninua (pop. 3), and third city Sur. Sur used to be an independent nation, but Babylon conquered it at some point in their history. At one time, they controlled Shushan as well, but the city's inhabitants revolted and joined the Persian nation upon Cyrus the Great's rise to power. Persia and Babylonia have been rivals ever since, each vying for control over the region. Babylon's military is almost as large as the Persian army, but they are forced to keep their largest force (four divisions) in the occupied city of Sur. Currently, the only religion in Babylonia is Judaism, which is predominant in Sur. There seems to have been a conflict between Babylonia and another nation to the northwest, but the only evidence of that conflict is a ruined, abandoned city in eastern Anatolia.

Continuing on, we find the independent city-state of Yerushalayim (known to the rest of the world as Jerusalem):

This city has seen nothing but conflict ever since its formation. As the last truly independent city in the entire region, and as the origin of Judaism, Jerusalem has been attacked repeatedly by the Egyptians and (especially) the Babylonians. However, the people of Jerusalem have thrown them back every time, and currently have a respectable army of three divisions. However, the question remains - how long will the city be able to retain its independence?

Moving out of Asia, we arrive at the African nation of Egypt:

The Egyptian civilization, based on the Nile River, is one of Earth's oldest civilizations, matching such nations as China, India, and Babylonia. They currently have two cities: capital Niwt-Rst, founded on the banks of the Nile, and Djanet to the northeast, right at the edge of the their border with Jerusalem. The Pharaoh has made it a priority to keep Egypt out of war, shown by the fact that Egypt's only ever conflict was a brief war with Jerusalem. However, Egypt's army is weak as a result (only about as big as Jerusalem's) and with the various tribes of Africa becoming more and more violent, a small military is not a good thing in this day and age. Time will tell if Egypt will survive in its current form.

Moving even further west, we arrive at the new nation of Carthage, located in modern-day Tunisia:

Carthage (as known by the Romans - they call their own city Qart-Hadasht) was founded by Phoenician traders looking for a base of operations. Controlling Tunisia and the western half of the island of Sicily, Carthage is small, but growing. Their goal is to create a trading empire on the shores of the western Mediterranean, and they have the world's largest navy to back it up. However, they have begun to earn the ire of Rome, who also wishes to create an empire on the Mediterranean. Time will tell whether these tensions will eventually be defused, or whether they will explode into war.

Moving into Europe for the first time, we come upon the nation of Greece:

Greece has many small towns, the most famous being the warrior city Sparta, but only has two major cities worth noting - the capital city Athens, located in southeast Greece, and Byzantium, a large colony located on the shores of the Bosporus Strait. As the main entryway between Europe and Asia, Byzantium sits on one of the most important choke points in the world. The Greeks have realized this, and have their most elite soldiers (hoplites from Sparta) guarding the city, leaving Athens itself vulnerable in the process. The Greeks' only major war thus far was a conflict between them and the city-state of Gordion, home to the Phrygians. The war ended with the Phrygians' annihilation. Now Greece has the challenge of keeping their nation together.

To wrap up this update, we head into Italy to meet the newest nation on Earth (other than Japan) - Rome!

The Eternal City, Roma, has finally become a true empire, having gone from controlling only their capital to ruling over the entire Italian peninsula in just a few years. Other than Roma, they also control the city of Pompeii, as well as the city of Mediolanum, which recently joined the empire peacefully. Despite being younger than even Carthage and Persia, Rome has the desire of ruling over all of western Europe - and beyond, if they can manage it. Their expansionism, however, has brought them into conflict with the Celtic people of Gaul, and tensions have raised between them and their African neighbor, Carthage.

That's it for the opening update! I'll make sure to make another one in the next couple of days.

Nice update. What's happening in the rest of Africa and the Americas (or haven't they been discovered yet? :lol:)

So the city name map takes no account of when in naming the cities. "Pompeii" and "Byzantion" are seriously anachronistic, aren't they?

Nice update. What's happening in the rest of Africa and the Americas (or haven't they been discovered yet? :lol:)

So the city name map takes no account of when in naming the cities. "Pompeii" and "Byzantion" are seriously anachronistic, aren't they?

Remember, this is 650 B.C., right when the Japanese spawned. I only played the first turn as the Japanese this update. None of the American civs have arrived yet, nor has Mali or Ethiopia arrived. And remember, Pompeii and Byzantion were the right names - at the time. Of course, if Greece still holds Byzantion by the time the Turks spawn, then things will be getting a little anachronistic! :lol:

Remember, this is 650 B.C., right when the Japanese spawned. I only played the first turn as the Japanese this update. None of the American civs have arrived yet, nor has Mali or Ethiopia arrived. And remember, Pompeii and Byzantion were the right names - at the time. Of course, if Greece still holds Byzantion by the time the Turks spawn, then things will be getting a little anachronistic! :lol:

Pompeii is named after Pompey who was 1st century BC. Byzantion as far as I can recall was founded as Constantinople in the 3rd-4th century AD, getting the name Byzantion in the post-Roman period (possibly as late as the 2nd millennium). An accurate-for-the-time name for the 7th century BC would be some obscure village of Thracian goatherds...

Pompeii is named after Pompey who was 1st century BC. Byzantion as far as I can recall was founded as Constantinople in the 3rd-4th century AD, getting the name Byzantion in the post-Roman period (possibly as late as the 2nd millennium). An accurate-for-the-time name for the 7th century BC would be some obscure village of Thracian goatherds...

Okay, okay, maybe I don't know my Ancient Greece and Rome history as well as I could. :lol: My comment about Africa and the Americas still stands though!

Byzantion as far as I can recall was founded as Constantinople in the 3rd-4th century AD, getting the name Byzantion in the post-Roman period (possibly as late as the 2nd millennium). An accurate-for-the-time name for the 7th century BC would be some obscure village of Thracian goatherds...
Uhm? Byzantion is the original name of the ancient Greek city founded in 7th century BC (named for its mythical founder, Byzans). Constantinopolis is what Constantine I renamed it when he made the city his capital and lavished his attention on it.

Pompeii's name long predates Caesar's rival Pompey. According to Wiki, both names are related only insofar they share the same source - old South Italian word for "five".

Uhm? Byzantion is the original name of the ancient Greek city founded in 7th century BC (named for its mythical founder, Byzans). Constantinopolis is what Constantine I renamed it when he made the city his capital and lavished his attention on it.

Pompeii's name long predates Caesar's rival Pompey. According to Wiki, both names are related only insofar they share the same source - old South Italian word for "five".

It seems that the city name generator has done its best to come up with names that are accurate in time as well as in language and location. Given the weakness of the history supporting those names at this period, I still think those two names are - or at least sound - amusingly anachronistic. :p

Welcome back! :D

When we last met, we showed Japan's opening turn, and showed the state of the rest of the world at that time. (If you want to see what exactly transpired, go to the previous update. Hint: it's the one with lots of pictures :p) Now, we begin to march forward in time, as the incredible (yeah, right:lol:) story of the AI world begins!

But of course, just to make you wait a little longer, I decide to start off with an update on my own empire. Nothing much, just showing that I have founded Tokyo on turn 89:

And the betting will now begin on how long the city will last before being destroyed by Godzilla. All proceeds will go to me, of course! :D

Nothing else happens anywhere else, though.

Turn 90: Only one thing of note happens here, besides Japan receiving its workers: Rome founds the city of Spalatum in modern-day Croatia:

As for being defended by a unit of Praets, if you look in the upper-right hand corner, their is a unit of Celtic warriors. Probably a wise decision to keep those Praets there for now.

One thing I did notice though. Look at this pic of southern Africa:

Good grief. With all those lions, it's a very good thing that animals can't enter civ territory. If they could, Egypt would be toast by now!

Turn 91: Only thing that happens is a revolt against Babylonia by the people of Sur. That city is going to be a pain for Babylon, I can tell already.

Turn 92: Again nothing happens, except for Hyderabad finally getting some warriors to defend it. The early part of this story has the potential for being absurdly boring, in case you needed to be warned. It should start to pick up when Arabia and the European civs start spawning, though.

Turn 93: Finally some action! Persia finally did something about that dark gray dot north of India:

Of course, now we'll see if they can beat me to Korea. :lol:

Turn 94: Nothing of significance happens at all. :sleep:

Turn 95: While not exactly a gripping tale of adventure, we do see Carthage settle Hippo:

As far as I can tell, the city is not named after the species who lives there.:rolleyes:

All right, that's it for this update. I'm thinking of modifying the updates so that they only show the really interesting things that happen, rather than the boring nuances of turn-to-turn life. Of course, if I do that, I'll probably be skipping a lot of the pre-Arabia and Europe era. Tell me if you prefer the updates this way, or would rather me change it.

A question: What's why those rare celtic units? It looks like a minor nation with only few units. I never understood their role...

A question: What's why those rare celtic units? It looks like a minor nation with only few units. I never understood their role...

Well, I know that the Celts played the role of Rome's biggest enemy after the fall of Carthage. They basically ruled all of Gaul (France) before the Romans came and took over. I guess Rhye wanted to reflect that - although I suspect that it's for balance reasons - Rome has to spend time conquering Gaul, so their military units can't easily go elsewhere.

Celts were added in BTS, but they can't really be a full civ, so Rhye added them as a minor civ for flavour. They were just barbarians in Warlords version of RFC, though, of course, they still represented Celtic Gaul.

Sorry, a little nitpicky, but can you turn off Yield Display for each tile?

Sure, I'll do that. Sorry, I didn't even realize I had it on! I'm so used to having it on, I don't remember to turn it off when taking screenshots.

On another note, I'm starting to wish that I had gone for my original plan for this story. I had started up a game as the Mayans, so that I could switch to the Aztecs and have some fun while seeing what was going on with the world. When the Europeans finally reached me, I was met with possibly the most interesting world I have ever loaded. First off, none of the European powers launched the conqueror's event when reaching me (I was very confused at that one), and that was only the beginning. I went into debug mode to see what was going on, and found, among other things, an ultra powerful Rome that had just single-handedly owned Germany and caused it to collapse (in around 1550), not to mention while forcing a draw with France and the Dutch at the same time, and were still avoiding collapsing, a Carthage that stretched through the entirety of North Africa (with the exception of a single Arab city in Egypt), a Babylonia that had survived the Persians, Arabs, and Turks, and was still going strong, a Turkey that only had 4 cities because they were being blocked by Rome and Babylon, and an Arabia who was similarly small, only controlling Arabia, east Egypt, and Jerusalem. I also saw, for some reason, an England who was consistently straddling the line between shaky and unstable because France controlled Plymouth. I wish I had checked earlier to see how this all happened!

And we are back! Time for more boring tales of AI stupidity! :D

Turn 96: We start off with another city founding: China has founded coastal Fuzhou:

If you look closely, it looks like the Chinese like their sugar. :p

Turn 97: Another revolt in Sur. Yerushalayim's culture is killing the Babylonians right now. It'll only get worse when the Arabs spawn and take Jerusalem for themselves.

Turn 98: :lol: Does anyone else see the independent worker heading through Persia?

For anyone wondering what that's all about, when the Persians captured Samarkand a few turns ago, this worker was the only thing to survive. It apparently is trying to get back to Yerushalayim, the only independent city left. Of course, it has to go through Persia to get there. Looks like Persia gets a free worker! :lol:

Turn 99: The Persians have apparently chosen to do nothing about the worker. :shake:

As we head into turn 100, I decide to take a look at my foreign advisor to see how people think of each other. There I see this:

Babylon and Persia are at war! How did I not see this before? Oh, yeah, because neither side is moving any units out of their cities at all. Nevertheless, I will keep track of this, since this is the only war at the moment. However, it seems like Babylon forgot that it's at war with Persia. Their grand offensive...

Is a two-unit attack towards Yerushalayim. :lol:

Turn 101: We meet China for the first time:

Glad he's pleased. In case I decide to try and take Korea (not sure if I will yet), I don't want China bearing down on it.
P.S. The worker made it!

Turn 102: I agree to an open borders agreement with China. It's not like they will get any units into Japan anyway.

Turn 103: Yet another revolt in Sur. Is it possible for a civ-controlled city to flip to an independent city? Because if they can, it's going to happen.

Turn 104: The Celts decide to stop running from the Romans and found a city:

Three guesses to how long that will last. Especially considering the only Celtic unit at the moment is in Russia. :lol:

Well, that ends this update. Next time, we'll be getting the calendar tech so we can see what date it is. Hopefully, we'll also see a resolution of the Persian-Babylonian "conflict" (Babylon still seems more focused on Yerushalayim) and the arrival of the Ethiopians. Until next time!

Top Bottom