Invisible farms

Behema

Chieftain
Hi

I have been having this problem with civ 5 for a while now. Late game farms tend to turn invisible.
Most of the time there will be a clear divide somewhere on the map where the farms just disapear.
It does not happen while i play but only when loading a late game save.
It has been happening since launch for me on different nvidia drivers. Changing graphic settings
does not seem to have any effect. Dx11 gets the farthest before the issue starts.

I assume it is connected with memory somehow but is there anything i can do to alleviate the problem?

i7 CPU 950
12GB ram
GTX 480
win 7
DirectX 11

(all the plains here are in fact farms)

Is that like 700-ish turns in with about 350 cities and like...10000 farms? Doesn't really strike me as unexpected in that case.

However it might be a bug. It does not load them "screen by screen" for e.g. when you move around or play some turns?

Don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it from happening apart from writing a bug report which - if we're honest - will never fix it either as you're about the only person who'd play a game for so long for this problem to arise ;)

Yes it is towards the end of a 750 turn game. The farms do not load when i move around the map. Any new
farms i make after loading shows up normaly. There are no other signs indicating that the system is
overstretched. Time between turns is less than 10 seconds. The map size is only standard and there
are 125 cities. And yeah every single farmable/mineable/loggable tile has been used.

Anyway thank you for your input FeiLing. I have a feeling i cant do anything about it as well :(

Have you varified the local cahce?

The file may be corrupted, but still functional that keeps track of the farm "graphics". It sounds related to the new city not showing up also. All you can see is the "scrubbed" tile below. In my current game there is a missing mountain.

They did re-adjust the farm graphics recently, and if you were in the middle of a game, the file may have glitched on you.

I have tried verifying the cache now but there was no change.
Thank you for the tip though timtofly, that's one more thing I can cross off the list of things to try.

I have tried verifying the cache now but there was no change.
Thank you for the tip though timtofly, that's one more thing I can cross off the list of things to try.

Was there ever a solution found to.this?

You can always verify the local cache in steam. Other than that close everything down. Reboot the computer and re-start steam and Civ5. That usually resets graphical issues for me.

i've been having the same problem for quite awhile now. on a latish-game giant map IGE save, most farms have become invisible on the normal game view side, while roads have become invisible on the strategic view side. i have spent hours searching throughout the internet for a working solution to this problem, but to no avail. i plan on trying smaller map sizes, to see if the problem can be avoided that way. but even if that does end up working, it'd still suck to not be able to play on any size map that i wish. so if anyone finds a fix that works universally, please post it. thanks.

Hi

I have been having this problem with civ 5 for a while now. Late game farms tend to turn invisible.
Most of the time there will be a clear divide somewhere on the map where the farms just disapear.
It does not happen while i play but only when loading a late game save.
It has been happening since launch for me on different nvidia drivers. Changing graphic settings
does not seem to have any effect. Dx11 gets the farthest before the issue starts.

I assume it is connected with memory somehow but is there anything i can do to alleviate the problem?

i7 CPU 950
12GB ram
GTX 480
win 7
DirectX 11

(all the plains here are in fact farms)

Hi all. Thanks Behema, screen shot looks very familiar I've been having this same problem since Civ 5 came out. Farm graphics vanish when a game reaches between 600 and 700 turns, many cities (4/5th's of the map).
This happens upon loading and while playing. Annoying if you want to keep building and you have to check every tile. Usually just stop, subsequently never finished the game on a huge map (always large or huge maps so far...).
I've checked system while running the game, and no problems, although quite high draw (expected from a high graphic based game).
Shutting down PC and re-loading Civ 5 sometimes works.
Does the game simply reach a limit on how many farm graphics are able to be shown at one time?? In this case I would say thousand's. Or is it a glitch not fixed because not many players out there play for this long on low numbers of civilizations/city-states, on huge maps??
Intrigued to see if anyone out there has solution(s)!!

I'm having the same problem and it is very annoying:sad:. I'm playing on a huge earth map, turn 1100 or so (marathon speed) and roughly 75% of the map is mine. It would be nice (actually: normal, coz I paid for a good working game) if they would work on a fix for this because I'm always playing large (earth) maps. You wouldn't stop a game if you have put so much time in it, right?
Now it's hard to see if a tile already has a farm; it can only be seen by the yield bonus if you select a worker or enter the city screen.

Anybody got a solution or workaround for this?

Specs: i7-3630QM, 16 GB ram, 128 GB SSD, GeForce GTX680M 2GB, Win 7.

Please provide your DxDiag file (see here for instructions). Also post a save file from a game where you're having this problem. Thanks! And welcome to CFC.

Thnx for answering Petek. The mod I am using for this game is "Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (v. 17)".
I rarred the savegame otherwise it's too large (>5 MB).

Hope this helps solving the problem.

BTW: this is the laptop I am using: Medion X7821.

Attachments

• DxDiag lt-hansy.txt
    25.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Prince WvO Giant Earth Map5-Civ5Save.rar
    3.6 MB · Views: 146
I loaded your game and see the same effect. I have a different video card (ATI), so that's not the problem. You can see the farms if you switch to strategic view. Other than that, I couldn't find a fix.

Placing a new farm seems to reload the graphics... I think this is just a faulty design where the game simply cannot load so many farms tiles at once, I have that too. I don't see smoke at all from pillaged tiles (they turn scorched thoguh).

Thanks guys for looking into this problem. Unfortunately no fix though. And yes, all new placed farms can be seen.

Although my comp specs should be sufficient, giant/huge (earth) maps probably still has its flaws in the end game. Hope this invisible farm problem will be solved with the new expansion BNW.

So, apparantly there's still no way to avoid the farm-tiles not showing up?

Am around turn 640 on an Earth/huge map with around 75 cities and up until last night all was fine. Did a quick save, went to bed, re-started the BNW game and, tadààà, in 80% of my map the farm tiles no longer show...

Is a touch problematic with almost every tile in every city I own done. Got workers waiting in the aisles to jump on any expansion, but now, with the farm tiles gone, it's a bit a sore to the eyes having to check which tile needs refurbishment... :(

*EDIT*

Around turn 740 zll of a suddden all the farm tiles looked their regular selves again. Am at turn 771 after having paused the game twice and the farms keeppopping up normal. Seems the glitch is either temporary, or the glitch only appears between a certain amount of turns... beats me...

For me, the solution is i made a couple of new farms..then i saved the game..loaded the new save and it will crash once..loaded the game again and everything back to normal..hope this will help others as it helped me twice :)

Top Bottom