IO4 - Sex, Drugs, and More Drugs!

Yeah, if we get good cities pumping, we can take whatever cities that the AI happens to put down. Settling cities that cost us in terms of maintenance, and which struggle for a long time is not worth it....

This is something that took me a long time to learn... Settle cities next to the best resources. Cities rarely use more than 5 or 6 tiles until 500AD, so make sure that cities you found in the BC's are worth it. Having a creative leader like Willem makes this a much easier choice, as we know that any city will have access to its BFC within 7? turns of settling.

7 1/2 on epic 15 culture to pop.

Before I start playing I should get some workers out and a settler or two if possible.
We are taking writing as our next tech right?
Its looking like I pop workers both out of the Matrix and Hamsterdams, the two chariots are 1 pop rushes should I let them go to 1 turn to put max overflow into the workers or start workers now and rush when ready.
I probablywon't be able to get a second settler out, though I will be able to start at least one. So my plan after rushing the workers is to get a settler out in Hamsterdam and try for a few more chariots in the Matrix.

I hope the green dots mean ye're looking at the thread.

Just checked in a few minutes ago, but about to go to bed....

I would get The Matrix to build a WB, as it will build it a lot faster than Justicaria.

I'm happy to whip the chariots.

BTW, to maximise the overflow, you want to whip the turn before it goes to a 1 turn whip. Whipping is 30 hammers, so to maximise the overflow, add the H/turn to 30. If the thing you are building is less than this number, it is a 1 turn whip.
eg. Worker is at 51/90. City hammers is 8pt. So 51 + 8 + 30 = 89. 89 < 90 so this would be a 2 pop whip, with 29 overflow. (as 1 hammer would be needed to get 89 to 90) capiche??

EDIT. It is 7.5 turns is it. Well my guess was almost right. Thats why I added a ? mark

Just checked in a few minutes ago, but about to go to bed....

I would get The Matrix to build a WB, as it will build it a lot faster than Justicaria.

I'm happy to whip the chariots.

BTW, to maximise the overflow, you want to whip the turn before it goes to a 1 turn whip. Whipping is 30 hammers, so to maximise the overflow, add the H/turn to 30/60. If the thing you are building is less than this number, it is a 1 turn whip.
eg. Worker is at 51/90. City hammers is 8pt. So 51 + 8 + 30 = 89. 89 < 90 so this would be a 2 pop whip, with 29 overflow. (as 1 hammer would be needed to get 89 to 90) capiche??

Unfortunately they're both 1 turns already, so the max overflow now will be the one turn before build. I opened up the save remembered I had no plan and checked the thread to put one together. So what I'm wondering is should I whip now, whip in 3 for Hamsterdam, or build workers now and whip on two pop.

Unfortunately they're both 1 turns already, so the max overflow now will be the one turn before build. I opened up the save remembered I had no plan and checked the thread to put one together. So what I'm wondering is should I whip now, whip in 3 for Hamsterdam, or build workers now and whip on two pop.

Whipping 1 turn before a build is only worth it if the city is using a tile that has not been improved, and will not have happiness issues.

Do what feels best Brian, I trust your instincts.....

I didn't smiley up on the turnset but nothing much happened. Let me :smoke: a bit to get my bearings:

Ah yes, I found this groovy thing called an autolog told me what I did man great:
Spoiler :

Logging by BUG Mod 4.3 [Build 2139] (BtS 3.13-3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 90/750 (1750 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:23:28]
80% Research: 21 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
20% Gold: -3 per turn, 3 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Hamsterdam
The whip was applied in The Matrix
Hamsterdam finishes: Chariot
The Matrix finishes: Chariot

Turn 91/750 (1725 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:23:29]
Hamsterdam begins: Worker (8 turns)
The Matrix begins: Work Boat (12 turns)
80% Research: 21 per turn
20% Gold: -3 per turn, 0 in the bank

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Sailing
Idiotsville's borders expand

Turn 92/750 (1700 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:25:44]
Research begun: Writing (9 Turns)
A Cottage was built near Hamsterdam
70% Research: 19 per turn
30% Gold: 0 per turn, 0 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang (China) towards Gandhi (India), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 93/750 (1675 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:26:51]

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang (China) towards Gandhi (India), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 94/750 (1650 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:27:47]

After End Turn:
The Matrix grows to size 4
Justiciaria's borders expand

Turn 95/750 (1625 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:29:13]

After End Turn:
The Matrix finishes: Work Boat

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang (China) towards Gandhi (India), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Gandhi (India) towards HOME (Netherlands), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Gandhi (India) towards Shaka (Zululand), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 96/750 (1600 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:29:51]
The Matrix begins: Settler (15 turns)
The Matrix begins: Worker (9 turns)

After End Turn:
Hamsterdam finishes: Worker
A Hamlet was built near Hamsterdam

Turn 97/750 (1575 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:32:22]
Hamsterdam begins: Granary (13 turns)
60% Research: 17 per turn
40% Gold: 2 per turn, 0 in the bank

After End Turn:
Hamsterdam grows to size 5

Turn 98/750 (1550 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:33:49]
60% Research: 16 per turn
40% Gold: 1 per turn, 2 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in The Matrix
The Matrix finishes: Worker

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild near Nobamba, Warrior 2 (Amsterdam) loses to Barbarian Archer (2.37/3) (Prob Victory: 64.0%)

Turn 99/750 (1525 BC) [29-Apr-2010 16:34:46]
The Matrix begins: Granary (90 turns)
A Fishing Boats was built near Justiciaria
Idiotsville begins: Warrior (11 turns)
60% Research: 18 per turn
40% Gold: 4 per turn, 3 in the bank

Turn 90
Our un-groovy king told us to work harder, that we weren't fast enough so we did man and two chartiots were built, next morning we woke up and people were like gone man. The aliens took them, whoah the aliens are coming help, run, AAAAarrrgh!
All espionage to Shaka.

Turn 91
The Man told us to build a worker in Hamsterdam and a work boat in the Matrix. What about free choice Man, you're not the boss of me.
Game auto reduced science to 70%

Turn 92
So we sailed on to the sun,
Till we found the sea green,
And we lived beneath the waves,
In our yellow submarine,
Spoiler :

And we found out that we could make far out signs in the dirt using pointy sticks, maybe in 9 turns we could make a system for these groovy signs.
Idiotsville is bigger.

Turn 93
Our scout did some radical moving out there.

Turn 94
Whoah black, blacker than any other black (trans a barb border)
Warrior: He, he, I'm wearing camoflague now you can't see me
Barb archer: ROTFL
Warrior Now, look here, my good man--
Barb Archer: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now leave before I am forced to taunt you a second time!
Spoiler :

Turn 95
Justicia is now bigger, far out man.

Turn 96
A workboat appears in the Matrix the aliens are now giving us stuff helpppppp!
A worker is ordered by the Man.
The barbs are getting civilised (maybe they want some of our guanj)
Spoiler :

Move Idiotsville's warrior north to check on Shaka.

Turn 96
Hamsterdam makes a worker, ooh shiny worker. But the man harshes our buzz (again), by making us build a granery. Man what about free love and all that.
Man we're running out of money, bummer (science dow to 60% as -1 at nothing).

Turn 98
I whip again in Matrix (its in unhappy and we need the worker)
I smoked too much and allowed my Idiotsville warrior die to a barb archer at the IT. Move the fogbust warrior to the city, and Hamsterdam's chariot to the fogbust.
Matrix worker>granary

Turn 99
I gots the munchies

Turn 100
Zzzzzz.

I have a few pics of our land:

Shaka's land:

Tech:

We can only get writing in 1 turn if we pust to 100% but that leaves us at -8 with 7 gold.

I didn't bother with graphs as we can only see Shaka and Gandhi, but here's the relationships:
Us: Cautious with every-one except Gandhi who's pleased.
Gandhi: Ragnar and Shaka annoyed, hasn't met Qin.
Shaka: Gandhi annoyed, Qin and ragnar pleased.
So were on the sidelines of a Qin Shaka Ragnar menage a trois, who don't like Gandhi.

With any bit of luck those two barb cities last long enough to put a cramp on Qin and Ragnar.
I couldn't expand, what with needing the workers and all bur now we've 4 (not enough yet but getting there).
The granary is whippable in Hamsterdam and then we can start pumping the settlers again for a bit more grabbing.

Use the force er ganja Brian. You have too much ability to mess up this one. And I agree I don't think you'll get a settler out, but will be almost done with one. Finally you don't need to go too crazy with chariots. We only need 3 fogbusters total to our north, 1 to our east at the bottle neck area, and 1 chariot around the stone/horse to our far east.

And nice explanation on whip mechanics. I couldn't have explained any simpler.

Edit: Looks like I posted too late on this one.

Anyway nice job, I wish unhappiness didn't last 15 turns on epic, oh well.

Gameplan, do you guys think now's the time to further secure our borders with the next settler?

Since I have nothing better to do for this hour:

The Turn Order
Brian - herbal enhancements didn't work, out on medical leave
FGJ - up and, wait, I'm up?
IO - ready to push pills
neil - munching on some munchies
Matrix - he hasz cheeseburgerz

When I head home, I'll see the current game state and post thoughts. I'll play the game around 7:30pm so brian can still be awake to laugh at my turnset.

Again this is all based on turn report, so correct me if I'm ignorant. With writing about to be in (2 turns, since we're deficit), I'm thinking 2 pop whip on granary to go into a library in Hamsterdam. Matrix needs to make another worker or fogbuster if unlucky. Justiciara goes granary so MM to get a 2pop whip. Idiotsville improve tiles to get the granary going.

The settler that's out, where to? Running out of obvious places to go. NE is good if we intend to start making cottages. Due E by rice to to work the copper and rice and be another worker pump. Hard to say, until I actually see the game itself.

Brian - herbal enhancements didn't work, out on medical leave

Lots of hard work down the mines does though, I think you should splash out on this. Wow the American covers of his books are really :eek:.

Hey don't blame me I got high.

Happy now?

Attachments

• HOME BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    100.6 KB · Views: 67
Alright here's my assessment by city:
Hamsterdam at 5pop no CG, +2 unhappy for 5 turns. Granary can be whipped for 1pop (already 52h/90h invested), 5t left. Currently starving slowly.
Next steps: Slow build next 5 turns granary, lose whip anger but need CG. Start settler, slow build until 2pop whip is available which can go into a library or chariot if needed (current shaka archers are helping with fogbusting)

Matrix at 2pop with 20t of whip anger +2 unhappiness, at happy cap 4 of 4 with CG. Currently growth in 6, granary in 16.
Next steps: MM to work 4H 1C hill instead of horses, granary in 13 growth in 12. Whip anger down to 7, can grow to work horses and continue to make workers, which we need badly.

Idiotsville needs two workers badly. About to grow working on granary in 29 turns. No tiles improved.
Next steps: keep slowbuilding granary, bring in worker to pasture the pigs, and to chop into granary for overflow into a worker.

Justiciaria about to grow, building granary 29 turns left.
Next steps: grow to three since 5t left on pasture, farm the rice, let this town help with worker/settler production.

Whew, that covers more than my set obviously. Teching to Aesthetics and Lit? We don't have marble, no mysticism, too late to go for Oracle. I suggest heading for the GLib and get a good jump on it.

Again I'll play about 2-3 hours from now, so please, discuss!

Hamsterdam anger is my fault, as I lost the Idiotsville warrior to a barb archer when sneaking a look at Shaka (probably the same one!), I had to move the fogbust warrior up to compensate, and thought a bit of anger at Hamsterdam was better than no fogbust.
I whipped the Matrix worker simply because of the horrible need to get one to Idiotsville, I would suggest a whip there if possible for the second worker. The worker from the Matrix is under our cow sign north of Hamsterdam btw.
Is it worth it to go for failure Oracle, a bit of cash would be nice? On the other hand we're short of everything everywhere.
Hadn't read your earlier post fully, I only mentioned settlers as a query for going forward.

Whoa, righteous move...

I'm with FGJ, about where to settle. Its a tough one, but since we have sooooo much jungle to clear, I think I would go with a Copper/Rice/Clams city, to help pump some more workers.

This is also because Gandhi is the weakest AI and has several enemies, so he is not going to be too fixated with getting another city down. If he does settle in one of our spots, we might just take the city from him, we have a few chariots floating around up there.

[offtopic]
It's not just the covers, books in America are printed on nasty paper as well.
Whoever said 'don't judge a book by its cover' must have been in America.

Whoa, righteous move...

I'm with FGJ, about where to settle. Its a tough one, but since we have sooooo much jungle to clear, I think I would go with a Copper/Rice/Clams city, to help pump some more workers.

This is also because Gandhi is the weakest AI and has several enemies, so he is not going to be too fixated with getting another city down. If he does settle in one of our spots, we might just take the city from him, we have a few chariots floating around up there.

[offtopic]
It's not just the covers, books in America are printed on nasty paper as well.
Whoever said 'don't judge a book by its cover' must have been in America.

Yeah copper rice is a good call, with 1 worker per city on our start we don't have near enough workers to keep up.

[offtopic] I never realised they had it so bad across the atlantic as regards books.

Whew, that covers more than my set obviously. Teching to Aesthetics and Lit? We don't have marble, no mysticism, too late to go for Oracle. I suggest heading for the GLib and get a good jump on it.

Again I'll play about 2-3 hours from now, so please, discuss!

I suggest Iron Working, for 2 main reasons:
- shows Iron. This could make a big difference to our settling plans
- we can chop the jungle

OR, tech Alphabet, and hope that 2 of the AI have researched IW for us.

BTW, can you guys stop typing so fast. :rolleyes:

Yeah copper rice is a good call, with 1 worker per city on our start we don't have near enough workers to keep up.

I have to agree, workers first.... at least by the time we have built some workers, the anger should have died down a bit.

I suggest Iron Working, for 2 main reasons:
- shows Iron. This could make a big difference to our settling plans
- we can chop the jungle

OR, tech Alphabet, and hope that 2 of the AI have researched IW for us.

BTW, can you guys stop typing so fast. :rolleyes:

I don't type fast I just do it on autopilot so the thinking doesn't slow me down.:lol:

Hmm...this might be one of those few times we might have to go for IW right now so we can get these cottages up and running faster. Plus damnit we need those happy resources. If I can scout two AI clearing jungle then yes I'll consider Alpha. If not, then I'll consider IW. Our hunting tech has been useless this entire time and that's driving me crazy! :lol:

And you know that this American has been taking all this bashing of our books with a grain of salt. Retribution will be nigh!

So no matter what happens you'll consider alpha, as you've just said. Methinks, like me, you've smoked too long of the guanj this day.

Top Bottom