IOT Developmental Thread

Lord of Elves said:
I hope you can like, forgive me, inasmuch as I wasn't serious, but also I think the quality of idea exchange and of the community in general would be greatly, greatly improved if people stopped taking these things quite as seriously as they do.

Man this seems really passive-aggressive to me. Are you apologizing or saying that people here are too sensitive? I am definitely sensitive because I think productive members of this community shouldn't be slagged off by tourists. Oh, well, I can tell that you're sorry, so it's ungenerous of me to continue harping on it.

The purpose of a combat calculator is to introduce a logical system for determining outcomes. The creation of the calculator, and the determination of how that system interacts with players, requires creativity and insight that you would also need if you were going to arbitrarily determine what the outcomes were. Hence the purpose of such a system is "fairness" in a game setting. You may be familiar with this principle as it applies to collaborative storytelling, known to the real world as role-playing, via the genre of role-playing games. Mechanics exist to grant consistency to the setting and enforce logic, and good mechanics help draw the player into the logic of the world and give them a venue for expressing the actions of their character(s). This does not mean the world is dead or stale or gray. The GM can make a dragon appear at any time. Likewise, the player can snap the ropes on the bridge with his or her sword. The point is that rules and mechanical impositions do not limit creativity, they foster it by forcing players to think critically within the context of the game scenario, and the actions of the other players. There is sophistication within this approach, and that sophistication lay in striking the balance.

@Crezth, I don't mean to be passive-aggressive. Not trying to write a "I'm sorry you feel that way" post. I'm just like, I agree with you a lot more that I shouldn't have posted in the first place more than anything else because I think the posture you are taking is that anything I say is meant to be hostile. I can understand how when I do not interact with the community much it can seem like I am trying to come in and [CENSORED] on things, especially when I was so critical of early IOTs, for example. That's not the case. I don't like combat calculators, I think a certain art is lost when they are used. That doesn't mean that they aren't an equally elegant artistic solution to the "problem" of player combat. You know?

I disagree that NESes/IOTs should be handled along the lines of a D&D game as you describe, fundamentally.

I view them as a game so I tend to contextualize their development in terms of game development. I understand that's controversial but I also think "pure roleplayers/storytellers" have somewhat naïve expectations (of themselves, the GM, and each other).

The advantage to the D&D line, however, is that people play D&D in a million ways and ultimately their execution is up to the personal taste of the GM/players to decide: it is trivial to discard or alter mechanics to suit the needs of the group.

I'd be interested.

I'm not done with the playtesting yet, but the OP is more-or-less done now.

Spoiler :

Have you ever wanted to play as your favorite obscure TV series, but were afraid that it would be considered insane in any other game? Have you always wanted to see that nation you made make an alliance with Tamriel to beat back the armies of Mordor and Voldemort combined? Very well, then welcome to Massive Crossover IOT, where you can play as any nation from any media imaginable!

Economical

Regarding all mechanics in this IOT: For the sake of balance and fun, all universes are on the same footing and have to abide by all mechanisms as they are, no exceptions (unless it involves roleplaying, more on that on its own section). This is to give a fighting chance for someone who's joining from a more "backwards" work against someone who is millenia more advanced.

Economical statistics represent the economical well-being of your country.

Every province you own generates 2 gold per turn, but you can invest into your economy, 2 gold increasing your income by 1%. For every 50% you have invested in, you will also gain an extra free army to use. Beware that, for every two provinces you lose in a war, unless they have been occupied previously during the same war, your development will drop by 1%.

Military

You start the game with 5 free armies. These free armies (and the ones you may receive depending on your economic development), even if they have lost, will always respawn at every turn. To train an army, you have to spend 10 gold, same goes with navies. Each army/navy costs 5 gold per turn to maintain, excepting the 5 initial armies, which have no upkeep.

You can use one army to claim one province. This action does not sacrifice that army.

You can invest 2 gold to improve the military tech, giving your units 1% more strength each upgrade.

War is waged by placing a certain number of units to battle (if you don't specify the number, all troops available will be used). Battles take place in the orders lock, and the results are announced next turn. The battle will be decided by the Standarized Combat System mark 1. In battles, the free armies will lose units only once the paid armies are lost. Once you win a battle, you can order your armies to occupy enemy provinces the same way you claim unclaimed provinces, but the borders do have to make sense.

Roleplaying

Because let's face it, who doesn't want their favourite worlds to mingle with eachother? Roleplaying might give you small bonuses, but they're up to my discretion.

Joining

You may join as anything so long as it's backed by media. You may join as a nation from another IOT (so long as it isn’t anything serious), and you can also join as something that isn't technically a nation from where it comes from, like a Kingdom of Minecraftia. You may, however, not join as something that’s OP, like the Q Continuum from Star Trek, anything that's wholly absurd, like the YouTube Empire, or as anything purely coming from RL (by the way, in this world humanity has gone extinct a hundred years ago).

To join, you claim five provinces in the map, and in addition, you have to give me a link to any page that contains basic information about what you’re going to play as (for example, if you’re joining as Lordaeron from Warcraft, you can give me a link to the Wiki). This link should also set the tone of what you're playing as. Is it an economic power whose factions are varying shades of grey? Is it an utopia that defeats the villains of the week by sheer power of friendship? Is it a group of barbarians that just want to loot? Or is it anything else? You may deviate a bit from your tone just to adapt to the new world and your neighbours, but nothing too drastic (for example: Oceania from Nineteen Eighty Four reforming into a democracy at turn 1 is not allowed, but if you're losing a war in the middle of the game and it becomes a matter of life-or-death, and you can justify it, then it's fine).

The big provinces (most of Canada, Australia and Siberia) cost 2 provinces each, which means that you'll need 2 armies to occupy these provinces and they will be worth the value of 2 provinces for matters of taxation.

My internet is currently going on-and-off constantly, but I will try and make it by Wednesday to revise the OP. Fortunately for now, the Internet has been working constantly, so I have been updating the OP constantly as well. If the Internet continues to work fine, I'll post the thread on Friday, but if it does craps out, it will be on Sunday. Any criticism would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Each province has a development level that goes from 0 to 5. Your capital starts at 2 development level, and every other province starts at 1 development level.

With the map you are using, a development system will quickly send you insane. Just use a simple infrastructure system.

Beware that, if you try to simply beeline into the enemy's developed provinces right after you win a battle, for every province you gain your armies will lose 7.5% strength next turn due to ambushes, the armies used to beeline will be forced to fight in the next battle, and the provinces don't actually lose development points (and the free units attached with them still count towards the enemy) unless you win the battle.

This will probably nerf attacking powers really hard. I would reconsider this, unless this is already a part of the SCS.

I ran a game similar to this a while ago, so you might want to check it out if you need ideas.

With the map you are using, a development system will quickly send you insane. Just use a simple infrastructure system.

I've actually had no problems with the way I handled development during the playtest. This is how I keep up development levels:

Turn 2 | Free units | Paid units | Money | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Income | Expenses
Lithuania|5|1|12|0|9|1|0|0|0|22|5
Germany|5|2|2|0|9|1|0|0|0|22|10
Italy|5|0|2|0|9|2|0|0|0|22|0
Spain|5|1|12|0|9|1|0|0|0|22|5
Arabia|5|2|2|0|9|1|0|0|0|22|10
France|5|0|2|0|9|0|1|0|0|24|0
China|5|1|12|0|9|1|0|0|0|22|5
Zulu|5|2|2|0|9|1|0|0|0|22|10
USA|5|0|2|0|9|0|1|0|0|24|0

(admittedly converting this from an excel sheet to a CFC table was a chore, it even added an extra row of useless stuff)

In addition, there will be a map so that people can keep track of development levels for provinces.

This will probably nerf attacking powers really hard. I would reconsider this, unless this is already a part of the SCS.

I put it in place so that people will make clean borderlines rather than creating a gory mess of random lines within enemy territory. None of these penalties will apply if people invade in a rational way. I'll clear this up though. Nevermind, I'll just ban nonsensical occupations outright.

I kind of looked through your IOT while making mine, I'll certainly keep this in mind for another IOT I'm working on, thanks.

(CFC is kind of glitching out at the end of this post)

Last edited:
I've actually had no problems with the way I handled development during the playtest. This is how I keep up development levels:

(admittedly converting this from an excel sheet to a CFC table was a chore, it even added an extra row of useless stuff)

In addition, there will be a map so that people can keep track of development levels for provinces.

Thing is the map has a bunch of horrifically tiny provinces, so making a development map would be a lot of extra work for something that (IMO) doesn't add much value to the game. I would personally just tie development to countries rather than raw provinces and just have it that annexing new provinces gives a small development boost that is more efficient than raw investment to encourage expansion.

Thing is the map has a bunch of horrifically tiny provinces, so making a development map would be a lot of extra work for something that (IMO) doesn't add much value to the game. I would personally just tie development to countries rather than raw provinces and just have it that annexing new provinces gives a small development boost that is more efficient than raw investment to encourage expansion.

I see then.

I added the development map from another IOT I am working on that won't have tiny provinces, with development being used to differentiate larger towns and cities from the countryside, but I see your point against development levels for this IOT though. I will still keep the whole "raw investment to encourage expansion" though since I don't see such a big difference from what you're suggesting anyway.

Last edited:
So I know that there are a lot of games being hosted at the moment, but I'm almost done with the semester and I'd really like to host another game. The game I am planning to host is called The World Behind the Curtains, more commonly known in IOT Chat as Project Gears. It is my love letter to one of my favourite genres, the urban fantasy genre. The Urban Fantasy genre is the idea that in our modern world there are supernatural, extraterrestrial or otherwise fantastic elements that are hidden from the public for various reasons. In many of these works there are government and/or private organisations that try and hide, protect, destroy, exploit or otherwise interact with these fantastic elements. In The World Behind the Curtains, players will take the role of these organisations, as the world of 2013 undergoes a massive shift in the extranormal world.

I've posted some stuff about this game before in this thread, but I've recently taken the mechanics in a radical new direction. If you're interested in the ruleset, you can find it here and I would appreciate any and all feedback. But primarily this post is a post to find if there is any interest in this game. I'm aiming to start this game sometime in the first week of November, assuming that there is interest. Please give me your thoughts!

Maybe
You'll think of me, when you are all alone
Maybe, the one who is waiting for you
Will prove untrue -Then what will you do?

Five years. It has been five years since the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, an event in America's history as important and as bloody as the Battle of Antietam, or the fateful Battle of Anchorage, sealing Old America's fate once and forever, dooming the world to a nuclear devastation and a century of darkness.

The scene of the enigmatic Courier, shooting down the monstrous Legate Lanius, has become a legend carried on the four ends of the world, a tale to rival the Vault Dweller's descent into the Cathedral, where the Master resided, or when the brave Chosen One fought the Enclave on their off-coast Rig for the fate of the Wasteland. Much alike those mythological heroes, the Courier, too, disappeared into the Wastes, never to be seen by anyone in the West, although rumours whisper he is always there to help those in need, as he always was before Second Hoover Dam.

One would imagine NCR is a triumphant nation following this hard-fought victory. It was not. While now Vegas was in a position of subservience to the NCR, symbolised by the armed soldiers marching through the Strip, and Hoover Dam was serving its energy needs, situation wasn't good at the homefront. With the end of the war, Aaron Kimball's already-low popularity precipitously fell, as more and more people thought of the consequences of this brutal conflict, the resolution of which required so many casualties. Furthermore, away from the Mojave, inequality was rising, with the so-so called "Brahmin Barons" committing injustice after injustice, with the state doing nothing to prevent that. The feeling of dissent was palpable. An election was called in. One expected that, with the majority of the military establishment behind Aaron Kimball, it would be merely a symbolic gesture before moving into consolidating a military dictatorship under his rule, and maintained with General Oliver's troops. It is then that a new star from the Mojave grew. The Rose of Sharon Cassidy, a native of the Mojave, came to represent all of the unfortunate, mistreated, and those who wanted justice. What also helped was the fact that she had supposedly been a companion of the Courier, and that she carried forwards the lessons of kindness, humility and so forth, that she learnt during her travels...

All those things helped her, against all odds, to actually win. This caused a shock within the political and military spheres. Word goes around that General Oliver wanted personally to coup Cassidy with his own troops, and the only reason he was stopped was because Aaron Kimball told him such an act would result in an open rebellion and revolution, destroying the already fragile fabric of the NCR. Today, Cassidy is doing her damndest to change and reform NCR, this meeting a lot of consternation from the elites...What matters, however, is the fact that the typical expansionist policy of NCR has been constrained to a certain degree. Not ceased, of course. Those lands won't reclaim themselves.

On the other side of the Colorado River, chaos reigns. Following Lanius' death, Caesar, or "Edward Sallow" as he is now properly known in NCR history books, has evidently fled the Fort, perhaps to regroup with the rest of the Legion. However, he was unsuccessful in that - we know that much - but his true fate remains unknown to this day. Stories around the campfire tell how he is lurking in the shadows, growing an army...or, a more ironic ending, that a wandering Follower of the Apocalypse found him all alone, shaking and holding his head in pain and bashing it into the ground, crying out for help. There, the Follower told him that he doesn't even have a week. But that's rumours. The truth is, with most of its higher-ups gone, the tribes compromising the Legion decided against uniting, but they certainly have not forgotten the Legion's lessons. Even on their own, they are a formidable force to be reckoned with.

Asides from the Big Two, there are all sorts of people. Mercenaries. Caravaneers. Drug dealers. Raiders. Self-made men. Sometimes all of the above, in one person. If you don't die in the Wasteland, you're bound to become someone, somehow. It's all on you, right now.

But let's focus on the thing you've been all waiting for. Utah. Everyone knows by now. In 2282, a scouting expedition came back from there, and threw every man and woman into a frenzy. A green land, with pastures and space for everyone to do what their soul wills - whether agriculture or pasture, or just a desire to get out of NCR's land...And danger. Deadly danger. For that, the scouting expedition was 10 men strong, and only 1 returned. The survivor told of a tribe, called the White Legs. They were good students of the Legion, managing to take over many other tribes in the region, and ruling over it. However, this was merely an illusion, so as to say. While many NCR citizens were expecting another rehash of the Mojave conflict, the White Legs turned out to be far more decentralized than the Legion. It soon became clear that the name "White Legs" is a misnomer for all the tribes in Utah. While nominally under the control of the warchief Salt-Upon-Wounds, that is far from the actual truth, and many of the tribes were more than happy to help the settlers and newcomers, whether due to hatred of the White Legs, or their own goals.

Alarmed by this, Salt-Upon-Wounds gathered a mighty army against the rather weak defence force that the NCR sent out, to crush those fools and show what happens to those who back up the NCR. It was an epic victory for all but warchief Salt-Upon-Wounds, as a sniper Ranger on the cliffs blew his brains up. This resulted into a fracture in the political union created by the war chief, and soon, what seemed to be a solid formation, turned into dozens of squabbling tribes. And the settlers kept trickling in...but only a fool would underestimate them. They would not be able to do it for long.

Today, Utah remains open for all who wish to seize it. Do you have what it takes?

Coming soon
It could be coincidence. Just over a year after the first successful FTL jumps, a signal determined to have originated from Alpha Centauri reached Earth. A series of pulses. Rhythmic, in a way that could only be artificial. Perhaps it arrived at this time by chance. Or maybe not.

The first fleet of FTL capable Starships have left their drydocks, and their eager Captains and crew look outwards, to see what is among the stars.

Go, Boldly is a game of exploration. Players take on the role of Captains, exploring space using their Starship and their crew. As they explore strange new worlds and seek out new life, they will develop their ships, grow their crew, and forge the future of humanity - whether that be one of peaceful coexistence with the wonders of the galaxy, or of domination and subjugation, or somewhere in between.

Joining
Spoiler :
To join, fill in the below form.

Captain Name: The name of the starship’s captain
Captain Experience: Choose one experience for the captain
Captain Traits: Choose one trait for the captain
Starship Name: The name of your ship (all ships will be given the prefix ESS, or Earth Star Ship)
Ship System Points: allocate the following points to their systems: 3,2,2,1,1
Weapons, Engines, Shields and Armour, Scanners and Comms, Stealth
Crew Points: allocate the following points to their crew sections: 3,2,2,1,1
Security, Command, Engineering, Science, Medical
Distinguished Officers: choose three officers, one Lieutenant, one First Lieutenant, and one Ensign
Ship Sprite: Choose one of the below sprites to represent your ship on the map:

Extra: Background of your Captain, crew, ship design, etc.

Example
ESS Hypothetical
Captain Theoretical
Ship Points: Weapons 2, Engines 3, Shields and Armour 1, Scanners and Comms 2, Stealth 1
Crew Points: Security 1, Command 2, Engineering 2, Science 3, Medical 1
Distinguished Officers: Lt. Linguist Sato, 2nd Lt. Critical Sys Engineer, Ensign Medic Wright
Ship Sprite: Bottom left.

The Captain
Spoiler :
Captain Experience
A Captain's experience describes what the captain did before taking the starship's centre chair, giving them an edge in situations they know well.

Veteran
- +1 to Security rolls
Career Officer - +1 to Command rolls
Engineer - +1 to Engineering rolls
Academic - +1 to Science rolls
Doctor - +1 to Medical rolls

Captain Traits
Captain traits are the skills that give the captain an edge (or possibly a penalty) in certain situations. Additional traits may be earned through extreme experiences at later times.

Diplomatic - +2 to rolls for diplomatic actions
Wanderlust - +1 sector movement
Exploratory - +2 to sector Scanner rolls
Team Player - +1 to all rolls when cooperating with another ship or crew
Homesick - +2 to all rolls when in an Earth controlled sector
Slippery - +5 to retreat rolls
Battle Fury - +1 to damage and attack rolls, +1 to defense in ship combat
Crew Priority - +2 Crew Points restored for free each turn
Ship Priority - +2 Ship Points restored for free each turn
Haggler - 5% off all RC costs

Crew and Ship Points
Spoiler :
Crew and Ship Points are your main stats, and determine the size, skill, and power of your crew and ship. You will use these points to complete Challenges, move your ship, engage in ground or ship combat, and anything else you may end up doing in Go, Boldly.

Ship
Weapons - Used in combat to deal damage. Can also be used for any challenge that requires very heavy damage dealing in space or from orbit.
Engines - Used to determine how fast and maneuverable the ship is. Also determines how far a ship can travel in a turn, with a ship being able travel sectors equal to double engine points. Makes a ship harder to hit in combat.
Shields and Armour - Used to protect against weapons. Can also be ‘extended’ to protect nearby ships or objects.
Scanners and Communication - Used to scan sectors or planets, as well as for locking onto targets.
Stealth - Used to keep the ship hidden from enemy scanners.

Crew:
Security - Used for combat or security on away-missions or onboard ships. Directly opposed to other security rolls.
Command - Used for diplomatic or administrative tasks. Can assist in almost any other task, though only with half rolls.
Engineering - Used for repairs, construction, or any other tasks involving machinery or technical equipment. Can repair Ship Points equal to Engineering Points every turn.
Science - Used for surveying, research, experimenting, or any other scientific matters.
Medical - Used for medical treatment, diagnosis, combat support, or any other health matters. Can replenish depleted crew points equal to its score every turn.

Distinguished Officers
Spoiler :
Distinguished officer are crew members that excel in a particular field, and contribute a bonus depending on their rank to any associated rolls in a challenge or in combat.

Linguist - can work out alien languages quickly, and is useful in almost any diplomatic setting
Android - can do rapid calculations on the spot, and directly interface with computers
Astrophysicist - can analyse and understand all manner of space phenomena
Psychologist - can understand the thinking of crew and possible aliens
Geoarchaeologist - can analyse and understand exoplanets and ancient artifacts or civilisations
Theologist - can analyse and understand xeno religions, as well as provide chaplain services
Biologist - can analyse, understand, and work with animal life
Botanist - can analyse, understand, and work with plant life
Tactician - can provide planning and execution of plans on the smaller, tactical scale
Strategist - can provide planning and execution of plans on the larger, strategic scale
Special Operative - can provide combat expertise to ship and away-team security and infiltration
Bomb Tech - can arm, disarm, find, handle, and analyse explosive devices
Investigator - can do detective work; finding evidence, motives, and interrogating suspects
Pilot - can expertly maneuver starships, as well as lesser vehicles
Gunner - can maintain, enhance, and understand various weapons systems
Support Systems Engineer - can maintain, enhance, and understand the various support systems, such as oxygen, heating, water, waste disposal, etc
Critical Systems Engineer - can maintain, enhance, and understand the various critical systems, such as engines, shields, power, etc
Medic - can provide immediate aid in rough conditions, such as on away missions or during combat
Surgeon - can undertake complicated medical procedures with precision instruments
Counselor - can smooth over inter-personal issues between the crew, or possible aliens
Cook - can make food real good
Steward - can requisition stores and inventory, handles crew pay and material requests
Entertainer - can entertain crew, visitors, or dignitaries, good for boosting morale when times are tough

Ranks:
The rank of an officer determines what bonus the officer provides to a roll. Officers can rank up if crew or ship points’ they are assisting rolls a natural 20.

Commander: +5
Lieutenant Commander: +4
Lieutenant: +3
Second Lieutenant: +2
Ensign: +1

Challenges
Spoiler :
The main way you will use Crew or Ship Points is in Challenges. A Challenge has a hidden number, called a DC (difficulty class), which you will be required to beat by allocating the appropriate Crew or Ship Points. During a challenge, each Point is equal to one twenty-sided die roll. You may assign any number of your Points in any combination of types, but you can only use a Point once in a turn, it must be used in the same sector as your ship, and it must be used in a way that makes sense. Unused Crew or Ship Points will by default remain on the ship and be used for defense.

While the exact DC of Challenges is hidden, there are four ‘Alert’ groups that indicate roughly how difficult a Challenge will be. Blue Alert (DC 0-50), Yellow Alert (DC 50-150), Red Alert (DC 150-300), and Double Red Alert (DC 300+). The degree of failure or success in a challenge is determined by how below or above the DC your crew/ship points roll, with harsher penalties for worse failures, and more rewards for better successes.

There are three main types of Challenges. The most common are sector Challenges, which are restricted to any ships in the sector. The second most common are ship Challenges, which are of course subject only to a particular ship. Lastly are universal Challenges, which are rare events where every ship can interact with the Challenge, regardless of location.

Here is an example of a ship, as well as how it could handle a challenge.

Example Ship:
ESS Hypothetical
Captain Theoretical,
Ship: Weapons 2, Engines 3, Shields and Armour 1, Scanners and Comms 2, Stealth 1
Crew: Security 1, Command 2, Engineering 2, Science 2, Medical 1
Distinguished Officers: Ensign Medic Wright (+1), 2nd Lt. Critical Sys Engineer (+2)

Example Challenge:
Blue Alert
Description: The colony on Example Planet II has been overrun by aggressive and rapidly growing plant life. Not only have the plants damaged or destroyed the colonial facilities and equipment by growing into and through them, but it has also injured and killed hundreds of the colonists. The first ‘attacks’ occurred overnight, with plants rapidly overgrowing the colonists as they slept, somehow undetected by security systems. The colonists awoke to find their bodies intertwined with the plants, and separating bodies from the plants has resulted in the death of every patient. Colonial security officers have so far prevented anyone from leaving the planet for fear of spreading the plants to other sectors.

Example Orders:
The SEAS Hypothetical sends the following crew to the planet surface; 1 point of security, 1 point of command, 1 point of science, and 1 point of medical,and Ensign Medic Wright. The security crew are to protect the colonists and the Hypothetical’s crew from the plant life, the command crew are to negotiate with the colonists to keep them calm and on the planet, the science crew are to attempt to study the plant life and find a way to stop its spread or kill it, and the medical crew along with Ensign Wright are to try to save the surviving ‘overgrown’ colonists and see if they can safely remove ingrown plants.

Meanwhile, the Hypothetical will use 1 point of weapons and 2 points of scanners to assist the crew. The weapons will be used to orbitally bombard the plants if they become over aggressive, while the scanners are to scan the rest of the planet to either find the source of the plants, or at least how much of the planet’s surface is covered by the plants.

The remaining crew and ship points could then be used for any other Challenges in the Sector, or could be left unused as passive defense.

Example Result:
8d20+1=79(14,6,17,11,14,5,1,+1)
Total Successes
79 vs. DC 30
Extreme Success
(In some cases, individual rolls can fail if they are below ten, in which case the associated crew or ship point may be damaged)

Immediately upon landing on the planet’s surface, plants began rapidly growing towards the colonists’ stronghold. Security personnel, supported by orbital bombardment from the Hypothetical, were able to hold back the plant lift, allowing the command crew and colonial authorities were able to quell the panicking colonists. With the threat of the plants dealt with for the time being, and the colonists calm enough to deal with, the science and medical crew set to work examining and treating the ‘intertwined’ colonists. Ensign Wright and the medical crew determined that it was impossible to remove the ingrown plants, as they had melded with the patients’ central nervous systems. Observing odd behaviour from the intertwined colonists and the nearby plants, and corroborating with the Hypothetical’s sensor readings, the science crew came to the conclusion that the plants were sentient, and had numerous ‘cities’ around the planet, one of which was right next to the colony. The science and medical staff managed to stabilise the intertwined colonists, and found that with a particular drug cocktail were able to open up the colonists consciousness to the wider plant hive minds. After some awkward communication attempts, command got across the point that the colonists were not intending to harm the plants, and that the plants’ actions were very much harming the colonists. Negotiations over the next few days between the colonists and plants was successful, resulting in not only peaceful coexistence, but in a combining of the colony with the neighbour ‘city’, along with further intertwining of willing colonists with the plants. One of the Hypothetical’s botanists even underwent the intertwining, and has gained a new perspective on their work.
Effect: +200 Requisition Credits, +Ensign Botanist, Example Planet II colony strengthened.

Exploration
Spoiler :
You will often have minimal information about a sector when first entering it. When entering a system, your ship will use its Scanners, aided by the Science crew, to discover what it can about the system, revealing celestial bodies, anomalies, life forms, and possible contact with those life forms. Depending on your Scanners and Science roll, you may only reveal a fraction of the sector’s contents, and further Scanner rolls will be required to discover more. You will receive Requisition Credits for scanning sectors equal to the % revealed.

The amount the Science crew is limited by the ship's Scanners, the maximum Science points that will be rolled when exploring a sector is limited to the Scanners points.

Combat
Spoiler :
Crew and ship points are also used in combat. Combat may arise during challenges, or by direct attacks by players onto NPC ships, or NPC ships onto player ships (or, in extreme cases, player on player attacks).

Combat between crews within challenges is usually contained within the DC, but in certain circumstances security points will be directly rolled against other security-like points, along with any modifiers.

Combat between ships is handled differently. Ships trade attacks until one either retreats, surrenders, is disabled, or is destroyed.

Attack - When attacking, the attacker rolls a d20+Scanners and Comms points against the opponent's defense.

Defense - For the attacking ship to hit, it must score above 10+Shields and Armour+Engines.

Damage - If the attacker hits, it deals damage equal to its Weapons points, with this damage taking away the defending ship’s points, starting with its Shields and Armour, then being able to freely target other systems at will afterwards.

Destroying Systems - Removing all the points from a system will change how a ship functions in combat in various ways: removing Weapons renders the ship unable to attack, removing Engines makes all future attacks against the ship automatically hit and renders the ship unable to retreat, removing Scanners and Communication gives the ship a -5 to all attack rolls, and removing stealth means the ship cannot attempt to stealth retreat.

Retreat - There are two ways for a ship to retreat. A ship can attempt to retreat by making three successful d20+engine rolls against the same rolls by its opponent. Alternatively, a ship can retreat by making three successful d20+stealth rolls against a d20+Scanners roll by its opponent.

Success - If a ship doesn’t surrender, it must have its Shields, Engines and Weapons reduced to zero to render it disabled. A ship is destroyed if it takes damage without any remaining system points.

Boarding
- To board a ship, it must be disabled by reducing its Shields, Engines and Weapons to zero points. A forceful boarding will require a direct roll between the two crews’ Security points, and any additional modifiers, such as relevant distinguished officers.

Emergency Repairs
When a ship starts taking damage, it can forgo an attack to conduct emergency repairs, allowing for a Engineering roll to make repairs, with the result/10 points of systems being repaired.

Crew Losses
Once a ship's Shields and Armour are depleted,the crew may begin taking losses. For each point of damage taken, the a d20+Medical Points roll must be made. If the result is under 10, a Crew Point will be lost at random.

Combat Orders - When writing orders for combat, you may give ‘standing orders’ for combat if you desire, such as which systems your ship should target first, if and when it should attempt to retreat, and whether it should aim to kill or disable its opponent. You can be as specific as you want with conditions, or leave it entirely automated. Your crew will do their best to keep the ship alive.

Cooperation
Spoiler :
Ships and crews can cooperate with other ships and crews in almost any situation, whether it in Exploration, Challenges, or Combat. In many cases, it is much more efficient to work with other Captains, as it will minimise the risk to your own ship and crew, and greatly increase chances of success. The rewards for completing Challenges, Combat, or Exploration will be split between the ships and crews involved, according to their performance.

When in combat, there a few special cooperative actions that can be taken.

Extend Shields - A ship can use its Shield Points to protect another ship, sacrificing its own defenses.

Aid Targeting - a hip can use its Scanners Points to improve the attacks of another ship, sacrificing its own attack bonus.

Requisition Credits and Costs
Spoiler :
RC’s are gained from exploring and completing challenges, and used to upgrade your ship and recruit new distinguished officers.

Crew and Ship Points
2nd level point - 100RC
3rd level point - 225RC
4th level point - 375RC
5th level point - 550RC
6th level point - 750RC
7th level point - 975RC
8th level point - 1225RC
9th level point - 1500RC
10th level point - 1800RC

Replenish crew/ship point - 50RC

Officers

Ensign officer - 200RC
2nd Lt. officer - 350RC
1st Lt. officer - 500RC
Lt. Cdr. - 650RC
Cdr. officer - 800RC

Setting Bible
Spoiler :
Supranational Earth Authority (SEA)
The Third World War in the first half of the 21st century, and the ensuing chaos and regional wars of the second half, thoroughly weakened the nation states that had once dominated Earth’s politics. Multinational corporations and the surviving elements of the United Nations and other international organisations began to accrue more influence among the war weary population, eventually leading to the rise of the Supranational Earth Authority (SEA) in the opening decades of 22nd century. While nation states continued to exist, they were thoroughly defanged by the 2150s. The next hundred years saw the steady rise of living standards, expansion of space development, and the continued integration of the SEA into all levels of government around the world, from municipal to global. The discovery of FTL drives on the eve of the 24th century arrived in a world where a united Earth has been the norm for nearly two hundred years.

Earth Space Force (ESF)
The ESF began as the Supranational Earth Authority Space Agency (SEASA) in the late 22nd century as the colonisation of mars began in earnest. It changed into the ESF as humanity spread throughout the solar system and private spacecraft became more widespread, and with them the prospect of non-governmental armed vessels, resulting in the arming of the Space Agency. The discovery of stable FTL drives has seen a massive increase in ESF spending and recruitment, resulting in the construction of a fleet of new Starships, ready to explore humanity’s neighbouring space sectors. And in the wake of those Starships, large colony ships are already being finished and stocked with goods and eager colonists.

Alchemy Oven
The alchemy oven is the cornerstone technology that has enabled Earth to flourish. It automatically breaks down material into its raw elements and reconstructs them into completed items, equipment, or even food. For starships, carrying nutrient or material blocks saves space and time, as their is no need to carry large stores of replacement equipment or various foods. Crew can simply ‘cook’ whatever meal or parts they need at the time.

FTL Drive
The FTL Drive has enabled humanity to reach beyond Sol to other stars for the first time. The Drive is still not entirely stable, with about 5% of tested FTL jumps resulting in some sort of anomaly or accident, but is deemed safe enough for use in starships.

Last edited:
So after another bust, I'm still truckin'.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVJikP9V7SVEHUZkQr-UAGsyQZF6rf-VHNL9k-t1JFs/
Made another ruleset, this time with a more streamlined combat system. Under the old system a database of player units and armies was required because of the hilariously out of scope system I cooked up. This one should be much simpler, with only two objects ever interacting at a time. Oh, also, it's a grimdark future where players play as AIs governing the remaining sapient life on earth, so that's pretty cool.

So here's the plan.

Capitro is a sequel to Stars Without End set sixty years into the future after a global rebellion overthrew an alien hegemony (known as the CoreGPA) ruling Earth. The Earth is now ruled by the United Federation, a coalition government heavily-influenced and controlled by the post-war factions. Mars, in the late-2130s and early-40s, experienced its own war that culminated in a detente that left one region under the exclusive control of a Neo-Nazi organization and the rest jointly (and often divisively) controlled by the Eastern Martian Shipping Company and Cooperative under the aegis of the Pan-Martian Shipping Cooperative.

In 2195, a former Perimeter scientist jury-rigged a Steaddunno nuclear-snuffer device into a "spike drive". A starship, equipped with the spike drive, is capable of traveling incredible speeds within a system, but shines in interstellar travel. Stars that would have taken a lifetime or more to reach by starship before the spike drive could now achieve the transit in weeks or months.

Stars Without End was fun to run and allowed me to try my hand at SWN's faction system. Capitro will expand on SWE in a few major ways.

1. New assets and no more asset limitations. You can now build any asset you want, regardless of attribute, although using one beyond your attributes will result in a penalty to your rolls.

2. Planetary regions, shamelessly lifted from SYSNES, will have a population and local economy heavily affected by faction activity in that region. A lot of peaceful wealth development means greater development in the region, while economic or outright warfare can push a population to its breaking point. Piggybacking off of this will be a share-based trade system in which controlling shares of a planet's trade and assigning that share to off-world regions will create trade between worlds (that can be plundered by pirates ofc).

3. Friendship with D20 over. 3D6 is my friend now.

4. Faction health is more forgiving. There's more room between "full health" and "instant destruction".

5. New special assets and characters like Specialists and Orbital Habitats.

6. XP given for roleplay and the ability to set your own goals now.

7. We're not starting off in the middle of the rebellion and demanding you "pick a side", almost completely neglecting the point of a faction system in the first place. If you don't like the way things are going on Earth and Mars, you can now literally skip the solar system entirely and voyage to the edge of the sector and settle your own world many jumps away from Earth.

8. Very low health factions can develop sub-factions. A sub-faction one of your specialists and a number of your assets. They'll do what you say...sometimes, but can be bribed by outside factions to do things you probably wouldn't want them to do, such as try to assassinate your leader or attack a third-party faction.

Top Bottom