IOT Developmental Thread

I would love to see another Fallen Star style game, mainly as it was a excellent RP opportunity with great mechanics.

I also loved the setting.

Honestly I see myself agreeing with Lord here. With all due respect to RC, IOT has been marching away from Thor's Cult of the Offensive, and from the race towards the stat crunch bottom. Even Sone's latest game is less about the mechanics and more about that sweet near-futuristic cyberpunk setting.

I'm not against the automation of combat in itself, but canning an interesting, never before done project because you felt you didn't have enough players to do it justice (which is fair enough, if you think that's the case, so be it), only to launch a new project solely to advertise a combat calculator just feels.... disappointing. And it looks like, since its tagged as an Iron and Blood spiritual successor, that war won't even necessarily (and shouldn't) be the main focus of the game anyways, making the reliance of the combat calculator for advertisement misplaced. For if you make war your central defining mechanic, you're just making a war game that players will try to win, instead of a collaborative story.

I want to make this very clear - the only reason I posted this in the thread was because (for me at least) combat is the hardest part of running an IOT. The whole flavour of the game I'm planning to isn't even based in land warfare. To be honest combat has always been my least favourite part of running a game and I'm just looking for suggestions on my method of working it out.

The combat calculator I posted was in no way intended to be an advertisement for the game. So please don't make that your takeaway from this. I'm sure this idea would have been clearer back in the days of both the Dev thread and the Org&Disc thread where one was for looking for mechanics suggestions and such and the other was for advertising games.

And given the way that IOT culture works now I probably have to say I'm scrapping this project and then just try and resell it as something different given that I've already got a page full of people saying I'm doing it wrong :p

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong. I'm offering comments and suggestions on how you can think about it and contextualize it with the hope that helps you, and giving you resources and sharing the wisdom that I've earned trying to do the exact thing you're doing and failing miserably in the past. I believe you can do better than me. That's more than I'll say for most other people here.

I wasn't referring to you, sorry for the confusion!

How could you be doing it wrong? You're not saying anything, you arent doing anything, you are offering a tool, let whoever wants to use it use it, and those who say its crap keep crapping in their pants.

I think what the point is is that I've already lost the PR battle by talking about running a game after showing people my combat calculator. As Megs pointed out, everyone will now naturally assume my game is about Combat and hard stats in a way that is the antithesis of what IOT wants.

Megan speaks for Megan. This is not a game advertisement thread. This is a developmental discussion thread. It's not meant to cater to the vanity of entitled non-contributors who want GMs to give them whatever they want.

Whilst Megan had an understandable assumption, it is one that comes from her, not from your post. Don't give up over this ruckus.

I have started working on a iot about soccer. I plan to make it a simple one having some similarities to exoplanet. I want to know people's interest in this sort of iot.

I haven't given up, its just that it feels like you lot bringing your drama just made the 100% harder of pull off right.
Now its like everyone is already setting up their tents in the LoE camp of the Crezth camp and its not about the post anymore but about the whole "Is combat important" thing which sucks because that wasn't what I wanted the takeaway to be at all. Now I have people saying "Art is dead" in response to me saying that there will be war in the IOT I am running. How does that not just suck?
I was just looking for ideas on how to simulate combat not a debate on if games should simulate combat. And now because of this splitting into camps all the people who are in the LoE/Megs camp are probably already biased against the game.

I really just we everyone could have stayed calm and only contributed with insightful comments rather than throwaway art is dead comments. It just makes me not want to do any of it anymore because drama just feels almost inevitable whenever I post anything here.

I agree that Lord of Elves should have kept his mouth shut instead of posting. I'm sorry that you feel discouraged because of the toxic and entitled response you got. You work hard for your art and this thread should not have to play host to propagandizing about how this or that project flies in the face of the "artistic zeitgeist." Telling you nobody will want to play your game because of what you are interested in working on or simulating, or that your work is nonsense because it isn't "art" in the opinion of some random dude who doesn't even really care, is really impolite and embarrassing to see. I'm sorry.

Combat calculator?

Art is dead.

no offense, lord of elves, but art is not dead, just because of heavy stats. IOT became a stat heavy game to prevent certain people, like me, from powergaming, or doing any sort of exploit.

one can still make an art out of a stat heavy game, or a combat calculator. all you have to do, is make a whole story about a military engagement that you won, or lost. its called role playing.

amusingly, i can sometimes still powergame, sort of, if i stick to the stats.

There are a lot of things wrong with the community of CFC but IOT using combat calculators is not one of them. It's personally not anything I'm interested in, along the lines of what @Omega124 has said, but by posting I didn't mean to suggest that people should somehow feel ashamed of using a combat calculator or running any kind of game they want. I hardly come here anymore, as Crezth points out, but I don't mean to suggest any actual disdain or ill will.

If you didn't mean any disdain, why did you write an unhelpful comment about how "art is dead"

why did you post in first place to be honest, if you didn't have any stakes in IOT

The idea of having stakes in an internet forum is weird.

Yeah, honestly, this is where I'm at. I'm really not here to tell you guys not to take pride in what you do. I think NESing and IOTing and forum games on this website and others can be a cool form of artistic expression, and I wasn't trying to take away from that in a meaningful or serious way by saying "art is dead" just because some moderators don't want to divine who has better battle plans based off their orders. For me personally, that process of writing battle plans, and reading battle plans, and deciding whose plans are better, was a huge part of these games, probably the biggest part, actually. That's my thing. That was what made me excited about these games in the first place when I stumbled on them in middle school. That doesn't have to be everyone's experience, and I'm sorry that I implied that. I do owe an apology.

But I don't think it needs to be so serious as an attack on any one poster or any group of posters or a philosophy of the experience. I just think it's a shame so many people have completely walked away from what was my favorite part of the game. But yes, I do also think it's "weird" to have "stakes" in an Internet forum, as Sonereal puts it, though I understand how and why that happens and I'm not here to denigrate it. My point is that I wasn't seriously saying "art is dead" in regards to these games, and I'm sorry to have attacked or disparaged y'all, but I really wasn't trying to.

I hope you can like, forgive me, inasmuch as I wasn't serious, but also I think the quality of idea exchange and of the community in general would be greatly, greatly improved if people stopped taking these things quite as seriously as they do. And I've been as guilty of that as anyone in the past, but my perspective is very different now than it was in like ... 2013. :dunno:

Lies. Filthy little anarchist. :p

Top Bottom