1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IOT Developmental Thread

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Joecoolyo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Scourge of God

Name/Player: French Empire/Jehoshua
    Government/Head: Administrative Monarchy/Hubert de Brienne
    Action Points: 4
    Stability:
    Ratings (A/M/E/P): 6/8/7/4
    Institutions: Great Power, Aristocracy, Stavka, Colonial Empire, Mercantilism
    Ongoing: Suez Canal (20%)

A quick sketch of a new rule system. While what is used in Paths of Glory is successful, the interlocking systems become very difficult to manage. Specifically I burn out dealing with economic stuff and then have nothing left for the military. Instead I'm trying to boil it down to the most successful system, the political system, and then expand it to cover the others.

Action Points represent a government's ability to act. They both represent political confidence and spending: a popular government will have more action points, while one on the verge of collapse will have few. A player cannot expect to successfully push through more actions than they have action points. Unlike Reform Points, where you got more points the less stable you were, action points are benefit from it. Though confidence in a government and the stability of a nation are separate.

Stability is the capacity of the nation as a whole to absorb shocks. If Action Points represent stamina, then stability is health. A stability of 0 means the nation ceases to exist.

Each Action taken with an action point falls into one, and only one, of four categories. These are Military (A, for army), Maritime (M), Economic (E), and Political (P). Each action has a rating
    • Military represents short-range hard power projection. It represents the direct deployment of troops as a result of that action, under the command of generals and other military officers. It is the most difficult of all actions to oppose but the most limited in use.
    • Maritime represents long-range power projection, hard and soft. It potentially represents the deployment of naval assets and commercial influence (because there are few nations that have one but not the other). It is far-reaching but limited by geography: away from coastal regions it becomes much less effective.
    • Economic represents the effect of national investment and resources. Larger, more industrialized nations will have higher economic scores and be able to accomplish more. However it depends on the political cooperation of local actors and is the most prone to disruption.
    • Political represents soft-power influence through ideas, diplomacy, and intelligence. It is the most flexible and difficult to oppose, but dependent on ripe conditions on the ground to truly have an effect.
    Some nations will be stronger at one type of action than others. Consideration would need to go into what type of action is appropriate: sometimes a scalpel is needed but the only high-quality tool is a hammer. Sometimes there is simply more things that need to be done than you have action points, meaning a player needs to prioritize.

Institutions would still exist, representing modifiers affecting a nation. Some examples are below.

Institution List
    Spoiler :

Political
    • Aristocracy
    • Great Power
    • Revolutionary
    • Constitution
    • Secret Police
    • Parliament
    Military
    • Irregulars
    • Academic Training
    • Stavka
    • Colonial Army
    • Continental Army
    Economic
    • Colonial Empire
    • Serfdom
    • National Market
    Maritime
    • Decisive Battle
    • Mercantilism

Ahigin likes this.
  2. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Whilst I was quite fine with the system as it was, I understand the need for streamlining and it looks quite good. The only missing thing is a descruption of the institution and their effects.

3. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Spoiler :

~1830

4. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

What's the PoD? English victory in the 100 Years War?

5. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

That is one massive Scotland...

Also: is the Great League of Peace and Power AKA the Five Nations AKA the Iroquois Confederacy still excellence?

Also the size of Persia: a PoD involving the Mongolian Empire occurred? Or...

6. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

looks more like North Sea Empire centered in Denmark than Scotland

7. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Scotland annexed Denmark?

8. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Very interesting- so many divergent paths. Is dark blue a hanseatic league or Poland? Something else? Will be interesting to see how the colonies shape up.

I.

9. tobiisagoodboy

tobiisagoodboy Chieftain

A greater Burgundian Empire? Looks intersting. Do I also spot Greece and a Byzantine Empire? Looks rather interesting.

Also @Immaculate , if that Dark blue thing is the Hanseatic league it would lack most of its major members (Bremen, Hamburg, Lübeck)

10. Lord of Elves

Spoiler :

"5char"

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  11. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Successful outremer kingdom. My goodness.

12. Lord of Elves

Normandy and Normandy Outremer would be in a personal union if this were EU4, but Normandy Outremer is the type of PU partner who holds up your stats but is always just beyond annexation.

13. Lord of Elves

Spoiler :

"I don't like labels."

Let's talk about the setting loosely, instead. The Yuan Dynasty is the most populous state institution on earth and has, nominally, the largest army, but in truth the government structure and decentralization of the Mongol empire is semi-feudal, and while it could call upon massive reserves of troops, it would be politically difficult to do so. Potentially a target for Balkanization under the right conditions, but still one of the most respected - and feared - powers in the world. The Yuan Dynasty alternately feuds and collaborates with the Mongol states of Astrakhan and Persia, depending on whether or not outside powers are a threat to Mongol hegemony over Eurasia. I think it would be kinda cool if, in the style of the Ilkhanate, the Yuan Dynasty had adopted a foreign religion ... what if it was Christianity? State-sanctioned Christianity, in China?

England and Aquitaine used to be ruled by the same house, and united under the same state, but within fifty or so years of the map, Aquitaine successfully split from England and took its Brazilian colony with it. Aquitaine is, consequently, hated by the Norman/Franco-Norman rulers of England, and their Norman allies in the Mediterranean. I see Aquitaine's natural allies as Iberia and the Norse Empire.

Denmark and Norway's path of development split with Sweden centuries before the map, and the Swedes have a unique cultural identity, some kind of Swedish/Baltic animus that they share to some degree with the Order, though there's a storied antagonism there. I see Sweden, the Norse, Burgundy and the Order all playing each other against one another at different points in history to secure different gains. Speaking of ... Vinland. Meaningful contact between the eastern and western hemisphere happened much earlier in this TL and Vinland is a polyglot, syncretic mix of Norse and Amerindian peoples. It is also technically a pretender to the Norse throne. Oh, and yes, that is a Burgundian Argentina. Burgundy technically holds the title of Holy Roman Emperor, but it stifles German nationalism and any movements to consolidate the empire so as to more effectively wield Austria, Saxony and whatever that other country is - I don't know enough about Germany to name it just yet - against the Order, which is the not-Prussia, not-Teutons you've always dreamt of.

The pink thing in North, Central and South America is a former Iberian colony. It may also claim the Iberian throne in the style of Vinland claiming the Norse throne, but I'm on the fence about that. China being a Mongol-controlled mess, Japan and Korea are - for whatever reason - major colonial powers, and industrializing. I would say that Japan has probably the most comparable position to OTL Great Britain in 1830, and yes, that's a Korean Patagonia. I don't know what's going on in East Asia just yet, except for the colonies, and that thing in the American midwest is a Native polity of some kind.

EDIT: Oh! And the Bulgars, Greeks, Byzantines, Romanians and Armenians all claim status as the rightful Roman Empire. Bloated Venice backs the Greeks, the Kingdom of Athens. Basileus of Athens? I'm ignorant of Byzantine things.

Immaculate likes this.
  14. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I like this very much and am looking forward to continued development. Is there a 'discord' channel where you are developing this?

I.

15. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

I think making Mongols just generic Christians would be the exact opposite of cool. Abrahamic religion in general is, imo, boring considering how widespread it is otl. I like more families of faiths surviving and having a chance to develop into the modern day. Just my two cents.

However, if you want a Chinese-Mongol state that isn't just its traditional folk religions, a revival of Manichaeism in China might be what you're looking for. It was a Persian, semi-monothesitic faith that was at one point considered to be the rival to Christianity, before the spread of Islam. It died out in the west, but otl it lasted in China in various stages of popularity until the Ming era. At the point of the Mongol conquests, it'd be already in a serious nosedive of popularity, but having a powerful patron in terms of the emperor might be what it needs to reverse its fortune and once more join the ranks of the great religions of the world. And since Manichaeism can have syncretic elements since it doesn't believe in one full, omnipotent god, but more a general good vs evil cosmology, it wouldn't nessecairly even need to destroy the indigenious folk religions of east asia, but could integrate themselves in it

16. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

state sanctioned christianity in which the Emperor is the descendent of God whose mandate is given to him by heaven.

17. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I like Omega's take on it. We already saw Chinese Christians recently in December.

Or maybe some form of Zoroastrianism? Though i have to say i really like Manichaeism revival.

18. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

I concur with Ω on the matter of a revival of Manichaeism: it would add great intrigue indeed.

19. Lord of Elves

Sample stats
    Spoiler :
    The Great Yuan
    Semi-feudal monarchy
    Capital: Khanbaliq
    Religion: Is the head of Yuan Manichaeism, the Prince of Light
    Economic Power: 250
    Manpower: 1100
    Stability: 6
    Army: 200 Infantry, 180 Cavalry, 20 Artillery
    Navy: 8 Man-of-War, 20 Standard warships
    Army Quality: Average
    Navy Quality: Poor

Kingdom of Sweden
    Absolutist monarchy
    Capital: Stockholm
    Religion: Northern rite, some Roman Catholic minorities
    Economic Power: 160
    Manpower: 300
    Stability: 10
    Army: 80 Infantry, 50 Cavalry, 20 Artillery
    Navy: 2 Man-of-War, 10 Standard Warships
    Army Quality: Superior
    Navy Quality: Average

Kingdom of England
    Semi-feudal monarchy
    Capital: Winceastre
    Religion: Roman Catholicism
    Economic Power: 120
    Manpower: 400
    Stability: 5
    Army: 180 Infantry, 90 Cavalry, 30 Artillery
    Navy: 4 Man-of-War, 35 Standard Warships

Kingdom of Normandy-Outremer
    Feudal confederation
    Capital: Jerusalem
    Religion: Roman Catholicism, some Muslim and Coptic minorities
    Economic Power: 150
    Manpower: 800
    Stability: 8
    Army: 100 Infantry, 20 Cavalry, 10 Artillery
    Navy: 5 Man-of-War, 40 Standard warships
    Navy Quality: Superior

The Ilkhanate
    Absolutist monarchy
    Capital: Soltaniyeh
    Religion: Islam
    Economic Power: 150
    Manpower: 500
    Stability: 10
    Army: 200 Infantry, 150 Cavalry, 20 Artillery
    Navy: 5 Man-of-War, 45 Standard warships
    Army Quality: Superior

NEW MAP
    Spoiler :

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Immaculate likes this.
  20. Grandkhan

Grandkhan Telvanni Master Wizard

San Marcos, 22nd November 1838. This is a map of the country on the day of the San Marcosian Assembly's declaration of independence from the Federal Republic of Central America, and the day before the beginning of the 1838 San Marcosian Constitutional Convention.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Sonereal and NinjaCow64 like this.