1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else disappointed by the quotes for Techs/Wonders?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Panixs, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

LOL :D

I assume you are from Colchester or Souhampton

Just joking :)

2. Nikae

Nikae Chieftain

If you are old enough, hearing the 'give a man a fish...' the thousandth time in your life means nothing. A good joke on the other hand at least has a flavor. For example the air conditioning one with Rome or the Monty Python one.

I am really bored with games trying to act all-so-serious. Go read a good book if you want meaningful thoughts.

Larsenex and manim like this.
  3. jekke

jekke Warlord

The wifi quote is utterly horrible, and its only point can be its surprise: it is clearly not what you are expecting to hear at that time. Moreover, it is not like we lack good quotes on Kilimanjaro, just google Hemingway and look no further. However, most of the other quotes in the game (judging from a couple of lets plays) seem just fine to me, so this is a huge exception, matched only by the (equally inappropriate) air conditioners one. And in Civ V, where most quotes were also okay-ish, there were also some highly puzzling ones, like the "I've got pig iron" or "I'll tell you just one word. Plastic." I mean, this could be the finest american literature familiar to every pupil in California, I do not know for sure, but in any case it was somewhat weird.

4. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

The Plastics quote was a perfect fit, what are you on about. It's simplicity highlighted the ubiquitousness and importance of plastic material and the cherry on top was it happened to be a memorable quote from a culturally significant movie.

Although to be fair one probably needs to be aware of the quote in both the context of the film and the context of industrial development for it to have any impact.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Or, the quotes could not be centric to American literature?

need my speed likes this.
  6. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Sadly, there's no way any of this is getting changed, as they're not going to call up Sean Bean and say "hey, we've decided to go in a new direction with the quotes, have you got a few hours to re-record this stuff?"

However, I agree with the people saying that too many of the quotes are goofy, and that it's kind of a waste of a talented voice actor.

Nathair likes this.
  7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Some of the quotes are great, most are terrible. It's a real shame the developers didn't respect the source material (history) this time around. History is meant to be about inspiration, overcoming great challenges, showcasing the best and brightest of humanity, and their most magnificent works.

What did we get for quotes?

Ruminations that air conditioning brought about the fall of the Roman Empire. -_-

Nathair likes this.
  8. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I love most of the quotes. Dad jokes are growing on me.

9. Teproc

Teproc King

Yeah, I like the jokey quotes (including the air conditioning one)... except the Kilimandjaro one. Marbozir did a video showcasing all of the natural wonders, and all of them are about communicating a sense of awe at nature... except that one, for some reason.

10. Acken

Acken Deity

I... never pay attention to quotes in civ games. Fellow civ fans feel free to throw stones.

11. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

Same for me. And I'll take it one step further: I always play with all sounds muted. ;)

12. fmm

fmm Warlord

Lyoncet likes this.
  13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

"For example the air conditioning one with Rome or the Monty Python one."

I don't understand or "get" the air conditioning quote. Maybe someone can enlighten me. That's the only quote I truly hate, but maybe if I get the joke I might like it. The others are okay, some better than others.

14. Xyriach

Xyriach Chieftain

To be fair, how long do they really last? Sure you might have the speech on for a few play throughs, but eventually, whatever the quotes are for Alphabet, Pottery, Animal Husbandry etc are going to get on your nerves and you'll switch the speech off after you've heard them a thousand times.

After the first couple of games, they're just boxes to be dismissed.

qadams likes this.
  15. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Never skipped them in civ 5 and it wont happen in civ 6 as well. Nothing wrong with it.

16. kul

kul Prince

..How much beers do you guys think would it cost to grab some bloke from the same accent-area as Sean Bean and had him to speak a few "more appropriate" lines to replace those sucky ones? hahah

17. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

I think they fit the Civ6 "this is a game, don't take it too seriously" theme well. I used to hate the new look of the leaders (the map was fine, but the caricatural leaders not), however after watching more streams i've got used to them, quotes are not worse.
    That being said, yeah, after i've heard them a few times they will probably become old quickly and just be dismissed as quickly.

Also, useless quotes have been in the game for quite some time
    "beep beep ..." anyone?

18. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

Maybe quill's Rome LP just had poor luck with the quotes, but dear lord was it ever tough listening to those. I'm not opposed to humor and levity in Civ, but I'm not a fan of dozens of modern writers trying to be pithy and (generally) failing spectacularly.

The relative quality of quotes from IV to VI is really apparent when people have to keep cherry-picking the couple from IV that are silly and tongue-in-cheek (or require a little background to appreciate). To me, it's felt so far like the non-facepalm quotes in VI are the exception rather than the rule. Which is a shame, given how great a performance Sean Bean gives.

jjkrause84 likes this.
  19. Larsenex

Larsenex King

The quotes are fine in my opinion. I listen to Beans voice which makes it worth listening to.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  20. BornInTheLoo

BornInTheLoo Warlord

I feel the Monty Python quote would be more apt for Democracy than Divine Right... right now it's like you're being told off for researching divine right!