Is anyone else disappointed that we can't play as Chairman Mao or Hitler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have Hitler in a Civ game...it would create so much fear and anxiety in me to have him as a neighbor lol!

This is my feeling as well. I wouldn't be inclined to play as Hitler, but I would love to play against him.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini, Franco... that's fine that they are not in the game. If modders want to add murderers and idiots it is fine but they are not great leaders. But there is always problem with leaders - wars, politics. For one country he is a hero for another one not so much, for example Bismarck in Germany and Bismarck in Poland - two completely different persons ;-)

Last edited:
Would it be interesting to have Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Mussolini, Franco or Castro in the game? Yes.

Is it reasonable to choose less controversial leaders for a commercial product like Civ VI? Absolutely.

I really, very seriously doubt Hitler will ever be a leader, even an optional one in Civ.

It's bad enough that they included Stalin... if more people knew what Stalin did he would be off-limits too.

Must people ask this every new game/expansion? No, you're not alone in wanting some of the most iconic leaders of the 20th century to be in the game.
However, Hitler will never be in the game. Though Stalin and Mao have been there in the past, they probably won't be again. As much as some of us would love to play as/against them, there are plenty of good reasons from a developer's point of view not to include them.

Mao, on the other hand, is more of a controversial guy than just plain evil.

Perhaps that depends on one's definition of "evil", but I would beg to differ.

Mao was responsible for tens of millions of deaths. He also left his country an economic and social mess (Cultural Revolution deliberately and viciously pitted the younger generation against the old, Great Leap Forward stripped the country of its ability to produce crops/food and led to terrible starvation, etc).

He also was a pretty creepy guy and the textbook-definition of a "dirty old man". Surrounding himself with young girls and sleeping with them when he was well into his 70s, because he believed that sex with virgins would prolong his life.

And as has been pointed out in this thread: Most of these guys should probably get unique "talents" that, as a player, you would want to avoid having or implementing. Like Mao's "great leap" could cause all your farms to produce 3 or 4 less food each or the Cultural Revolution would destroy a couple of wonders in your city or a random number of cultural buildings. :D

Back to the original point of this thread: May I suggest that all you guys who'd love to play as Hitler, Mao, Stalin or some other crazy strongman check out Hearts of Iron 4? In that game, those guys' presence is perfectly valid, due to the nature of HoI as a game/concept.

Personally, I've always preferred playing Civ-games with leaders from long ago eras. Starting my civilization in 4000 AD with a 20th century leader like Roosevelt, Churchill or Gandhi always felt a little off to me.

S.

If Hitler would ever be introduced in any official way it would be a reason for me to stop playing the game as a matter of principle.

I know that many of the leaders we have now and got in teh past are no heroes or innocents (I personally think that Mao and Stalin in particular should also not have been included).

Hitler, however, remains unique in a very, very horrible way.

I find it a bit strange how several people who can go on and on how Medici should not have been a leader of France have no troubles demanding Hitler for Germany. Not representive enough, not French enough, etc. I'd take an exotic choice like Medici any day over a leader who has brought untold sorrow over his own country and many, many others... and the Holocaust.

If Hitler would ever be introduced in any official way it would be a reason for me to stop playing the game as a matter of principle.
Same here. If Hitler were in the game I would not buy it.

And generally speaking, I want Firaxis to paint positive and respectful pictures of the civs they include. Not just as a marketing ploy, but as a design principle - Civ is a very positive, optimistic game, a celebration of mankind if you will. I thought including Stalin and Mao was a terrible decision. Indeed if they did that again, I probably wouldn't buy the game either.

But Hitler certainly is a red line for me and presumably many Germans. If Firaxis wants to kill off the franchise in Germany they should include him.

Threads like these are tradition whenever a new Civ comes out, aren't they?

This thread is slowly but surely turing into a ideologies/politics discussion, and we all know how those end.

Even if I still think that having the aforementioned leaders in the game could be interesting strictly from a gameplay point of view, on second thought I'll have to say they wouldn't represent "the best of" each Civilization, and are therefore clearly bad candidates after all.

Nope, and they can stay out of the non-modded game. Now who I WANT to see, hopefully as possible second leader, is Friedrich II. A science oriented Germany rather than a military Germany with Friedrich the Great, even though he was Prussian (and the capital of the Civ can be Berlin again, and some cities shared with the future Polish civ that is coming like Danzig)

I'd like to see Wu Zetian make a comeback, or Zhu Yuanzhang (founder of the Ming Dynasty) for a trade oriented China. Modern Chinese leaders in the game aren't good for Chinese marketing, but if we could I would like to see Chiang Kai Shek.

Hitler was a lousy leader who basically destroyed his country and then committed suicide. Having him lead Germany would be like having Caligula lead Rome or John Lackland lead England.

This thread is slowly but surely turing into a ideologies/politics discussion, and we all know how those end.

Actually I've seen way, way worse than the, rather civil and rational, discussion in this thread. Plus reading a lot of the replies in here makes me think that all isn't lost for humanity just yet .. :D

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom