Is attack on Iran imminent?

Red Stranger said:
Iran is different from Iraq in that the elect that crazy guy. While I feel sympathy for the Iraqis who suffer in the hands of Saddam, I don't feel the same for people who elect an idiot.
Phlegmak said:
Dude, it's like you don't even read your own posts. Your last sentence is perfectly applicable to yourself.

Maybe Red Stranger, like me, does not feel America elected an idiot leader.

In response to an earlier post on how air strikes do not work: In the past, their have been instances of air strikes being succesful. Reagan's bombing of Qadafi's palace in Libya turned Qadafi into a reformed citizen on the world stage. More recently, the bombing in Kosovo led to a political revitalization as the youth threw out the old dictatorship of Milosevic.

I do not believe this current President would ever launch a first strike with nuclear weapons. I also believe that the deployment of land forces, except as peacekeepers in a post-Ayatollah Iran, is out of the question. Another exception could be the use of Delta Force/SAS style elite trrops to apprehend mullahs and such from mosques. I could easily see precision strikes against the leadership of Iran. The U.S. would at least try to keep the population neutral by not bombing mosques and other public places.

Xenocrates said:
In fact the only member of the security council that isn't a complete psycho is China.

Oh, we are all psycho...even the Chinese who have been giving the nuclear materials to Iran, N. Korea, Pakistan, and India.

Not complete psychos though are they?

Giving assistance in the development of nukes is a major sign of trust. IMO the Americans and others high in the fortresses of arrogance that they inhabit believe that they are the only ones who act in ways dictated by logic and not by circumstances. Then they prove that to be false by freaking out after September the 11th.

Sure the Iranian leader doesn't look like the most stable guy in the World, but give him Mr Bush's PR team and see the difference! (OR NOT MAYBE ;) )

Trust Iran :confused: ?

The U.S. has trusted other nations with nukes, and even proliferated them, I'll admit. It is the world's worst kept secret that we gave Israel nukes, and we sqawked a little when India and Pakistan both got the bomb, but did nothing about it.

It is also thought that S. Africa might have the bomb. We could probably trust them as well (they are hosting the 2010 World Cup~we can't let them destabilize the world just in time for the U.S.'s first Cup victory! ;) )

Olorin0222 said:
It is also thought that S. Africa might have the bomb. We could probably trust them as well (they are hosting the 2010 World Cup~we can't let them destabilize the world just in time for the U.S.'s first Cup victory! ;) )

We should make a bet of what will come first : the US invading Iran or the US winning the World Cup.

But I'm not sure on what to bet ;)

Olorin0222 said:
More recently, the bombing in Kosovo led to a political revitalization as the youth threw out the old dictatorship of Milosevic.

Youth :lol: It was the old people who rebelled,started by a bulldozer worker.

I'm hoping this is the usual diplomatic posturing tactics, and it'll die down soon enough. I don't think the US is ready for another costly war, or the political consequences of one. I also don't think it's that stupid either, or rather I hope it isn't.

Olorin0222 said:
Maybe Red Stranger, like me, does not feel America elected an idiot leader.

In response to an earlier post on how air strikes do not work: In the past, their have been instances of air strikes being succesful. Reagan's bombing of Qadafi's palace in Libya turned Qadafi into a reformed citizen on the world stage. More recently, the bombing in Kosovo led to a political revitalization as the youth threw out the old dictatorship of Milosevic.

I do not believe this current President would ever launch a first strike with nuclear weapons. I also believe that the deployment of land forces, except as peacekeepers in a post-Ayatollah Iran, is out of the question. Another exception could be the use of Delta Force/SAS style elite trrops to apprehend mullahs and such from mosques. I could easily see precision strikes against the leadership of Iran. The U.S. would at least try to keep the population neutral by not bombing mosques and other public places.

We all know from past history just how precise precision strikes are, bombing could be politicaly costly too.

I doubt Bush has got a lot to lose....he cant get elected again.

Sidhe said:
I'm hoping this is the usual diplomatic posturing tactics, and it'll die down soon enough. I don't think the US is ready for another costly war, or the political consequences of one. I also don't think it's that stupid either, or rather I hope it isn't.

Once again, a nuclear Iran poses a threat to many more nations that just the USA. Especially the ones in Europe that are within missile range....

We all know from past history just how precise precision strikes are, bombing could be politicaly costly too.

Hmmm, I seem to recall that the Israeli airstrike on the Iraq nuclear facility was very precise.

MobBoss said:
Hmmm, I seem to recall that the Israeli airstrike on the Iraq nuclear facility was very precise.

And the U.S. can be even more precise, if the military tries to be.

@Masquerouge: I'm telling you, quarters in '02, semis in '06, WORLD CHAMPIONS in '10 ;)

Sidhe said:
Terrorism is not quelled by war it is fueled and it grows sometimes exponentially.
Did you see any terrorists getting recruited by, for example, China's aggression against Tibet? Or China's threatened aggression against Taiwaan? Nope. And you probably never will.

Terrorism is fueled by one thing, and one thing only: the existence of a free state whose government actually cares about its citizens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_active_troops

I had no idea Iran was that high on that list. On paper the US has twice what they do, and much better technology. But the "home advantage" has proven to be immense for the opposition thus far in their middle east campaigns. And off paper, a very small portion of that is actually available to them, while Iran is pretty much free to use all of theirs.

Red Stranger said:
I don't think sending group troops in would be the best option. We should just bomb it to the stone ages then leave. No casualties.
And what about all the innocent Iranians killed? How would you like it if half your family was killed? Once in a while some moron makes this comment, and to that I say, we were charting the stars, working on some of the most advanced mathematic theories and using medical alchohol when Europeans were living in their own filth. If you dont have a valid argument to make, dont make it.

Xshayathiya said:
And what about all the innocent Iranians killed? How would you like it if half your family was killed?

Do you mean if half of his family was persian muslim, or half of his family was white christian?

Trust Iran ?

Trust America?

Which one has violated international law, and invaded a country in the past 50 years. Which one has stuck it's nose in wars it did not belong in the past 50 years? Which one has only acted in self defense, and which side was funding and arming the agressor during the Iran-Iraq war?

Number of civilians America has killed in it's wars since WW II: 100's of thousands

Iranians: 0

Number of wars America has launched outside of her borders since world war II:

at least a dozen

Iran: 0

get the picture yet?

Xshayathiya said:
Once in a while some moron makes this comment, and to that I say, we were charting the stars, working on some of the most advanced mathematic theories and using medical alchohol when Europeans were living in their own filth.

The tables have turned ROFL :lol: !!!

Neomega said:
Which one has violated international law, and invaded a country in the past 50 years. Which one has stuck it's nose in wars it did not belong in the past 50 years? Which one has only acted in self defense, and which side was funding and arming the agressor during the Iran-Iraq war?

Number of civilians America has killed in it's wars since WW II: 100's of thousands

Iranians: 0

Number of wars America has launched outside of her borders since world war II:

at least a dozen

Iran: 0

get the picture yet?

I'm against any war against Iran but your comparison is false and misleading. Iran has a nation has existed in some form since Cyrus the Great established the dynastic concept of the Shahanshah. In its thousands of years of existence Iran has started plenty of wars and killed plenty of civilians. Iranian military forces killed a lot of civilians during the Iran-Iraq war. Every nation has been involved in warfare.

Riesstiu IV said:
I'm against any war against Iran but your comparison is false and misleading. Iran has a nation has existed in some form since Cyrus the Great established the Persian Empire. In its thousands of years of existence Iran has started plenty of wars and killed plenty of civilians.

Hmmm... I wonder why I said "since World War II"?

Or how about, since the Shah has been overthrown?

Iranian military forces killed a lot of civilians during the Iran-Iraq war. Every nation has been involved in warfare.

So what? We killed a lot of Japanese civilians during WW II. When a nation is attacked,it has every rigth to do what it takes t break the enemie's will to fight. Iran did not start the Iran-Iraq war.

BasketCase said:
Did you see any terrorists getting recruited by, for example, China's aggression against Tibet? Or China's threatened aggression against Taiwaan? Nope. And you probably never will.

Terrorism is fueled by one thing, and one thing only: the existence of a free state whose government actually cares about its citizens.

:lol:

No terrorists there to begin with.:rolleyes: specious argument.

Neomega said:
Hmmm... I wonder why I said "since World War II"?

Or how about, since the Shah has been overthrown?

That's Fine.

Neomega said:
So what? We killed a lot of Japanese civilians during WW II. When a nation is attacked,it has every rigth to do what it takes t break the enemie's will to fight. Iran did not start the Iran-Iraq war.

I know Iran didn't start the war. My original point is why you say Iran has killed 0 civilians since World War II?

Top Bottom