Is "Beyond the Sword" dead?

I can't remember the last time a game that I've played has come out without 'major' or 'game breaking' bugs. I can't remember the last time people didn't bemoan the lack of communication from the game manufacturer on patches and the speed at which those patches were forthcoming. Firaxis hasn't exactly been stellar in these respects, but they're far from the worst. Want ZERO communication and enough bugs to give the Terminix man nightmares? Try EA products.

I'm very happy with BtS and look forward to the 'official' patch, whenever that comes out. The only thing that sucks a bit is for all the mod makers who are working hard now on some great BtS mods that will need to be updated for the patch, when it comes.

Hi, I know a bit about quality management. Priority zero bugs only should be fixed ASAP, the rest should pass huge amount of validation testing before delivery. So, it makes sense to put out small patches 3.0x with urgent fixes and get some pause before 3.1x with unurgent fixes and improvements. The question only is how to determine of which priority the given issue is. For me, in current version, there are no showstoppers.

So everything is ok with Firaxis from my standpoint.

OK, I hear that the poisoned water supply on Marathon bug is game breaking. I don't play Marathon, so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me. Marathon arguably favors the human anyway; give Epic a shot.

The Corporation inflation issue is not game breaking. Just don't use Corporations (i.e., stick with State Property) or make sure you spread them wisely. At most, the need for change here is just a tweak.

What are the other game breaking bugs?

the infinite loop bug? i can't even finish a game now because of it. in fact it caused me to abandon BTS until an official patch is released.

the infinite loop bug? i can't even finish a game now because of it. in fact it caused me to abandon BTS until an official patch is released.

Definitely sounds game breaking. I wonder why you get it so often and I never have.

What's the infinite loop bug? I honestly haven't heard of this, and I've certainly not experienced it. I'm sure there's a link.

Yeah also haven't seen any "Game Breaking" bugs. Remember when Civ 4 was first released? It not working with my (and many others) video card (which had minimum specs) until 6 months of patches was game breaking for me... With Civ 4's track record, I don't know how you can call any of the BTS bugs gamebreaking. Even without Solver's unofficial patch, the poison water thing isn't "gamebreaking." The first gmae I played it REALLY sucked because i didnt know how to use espionage apporpriately, but now my water supply gets poisoned like twice a game. I also applied Solver's patch, so maybe the AI doesn't "waste" points on poisoning my water anymore, since it won't take my 15 population city down to 1 anymore. That does happen, btw Liu, even with a granery. The AI was just smart enough to pick on my production city that doesn't have a ton of extra food around... sounds like good AI to me though.

Agreed about it being good AI that goes for the jugular with Poison Water, but even my production cities only lose one or two at most. Maybe it's because I'm a builder at heart, but I've never lost more than 4 population, and that was the very first time I'd been poisoned. Do you build the other health improvements in your cities? Supermarkets are great now that they also give +1 food. Between the health bonuses and resources, the Poison shouldn't last beyond the buffer you get when your population increases due to a Granary.

Another trick worth mentioning is the use of Anarchy. The Poison still fades, although your cities neither grow nor shrink when you've changed Civics or Religion. It's not a brilliant idea, but it's an option if you're desperate.

Yet another whining thread? The funny thing is Warlords actually had more bugs than BTS and it took them a few months to release the patch then. When Warlords first came out, I couldn't even play a game that had Mehmed in it or it would crash as soon as his leaderhead appeared. You guys have to realize that Firaxis is a company and the people who work for them have a lot of work to do and they only have so much time. They're not here to fulfill every little wish of Civfanatics.

BTS is; cough... cough... fine :faint:

Everyone... return to the other... cough... forums :twitch:

:gripe: will be dealt with cough... appropriately :trouble:

BTS forums are only here to help :backstab:

Your INDIVIDUAL suggestions are welcome here :assimilate: :shake:

I love Big Brother :salute:

P.S. On huge marathon I noticed some slight problems... :nono: :ar15: :suicide:

MODERATOR ACTION: This post has been banned and the poster deleted. Please resume game play.

Moderator Action: Warned! - Do not impersonate a moderator, nor even joke about it! Plus, spam.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I noticed one glitch that annoys me on BTS v3.0.3.

During combat, when my riflemen are fighting against enemy archers, two rifleman gets killed, one archer dies. Then two riflemen comes back to life (reappears) and kills rest of archers. I've seen this animation bug over and over.

Really annoying.:(

Could someone inform me what these game breaking bugs are? I'm not trying to flame anyone, I just don't know what everyone's talking about.

Just a quick question: Whats Firaxis payin its posters these days ( ;) kiddin man)

Im sure they'll work things out. I bet there still takin stock of whats gone 'bad'.

I noticed one glitch that annoys me on BTS v3.0.3.

During combat, when my riflemen are fighting against enemy archers, two rifleman gets killed, one archer dies. Then two riflemen comes back to life (reappears) and kills rest of archers. I've seen this animation bug over and over.

Really annoying.:(

Turn off animation for attacks--you don't really need it anyway. Quick Combat saves so much time. Leave it on for the defense, though! I can't stress that enough... Nothing worse than thinking you have an army somewhere, only to check the logs and see it was destroyed six turns ago :crazyeye:

My condolences to those of you who love Marathon, but isn't owning a super computer capable of handling that some compensation?

I just finished my first epic game and was wondering if it’s too late to post a few compliments for the Firaxis team.

Apostolic Palace was a hoot.
Spies (aka pies) are loads of fun and seem to provide a nice way for the AI to stay competitive via tech theft.
Late game combat is much more involved and interesting.
The naval elements add a whole new dimension to sea power.
Events constantly add new problems and opportunities that must be worked into existing plans. (Although I would like the quest log to scroll.)

Now on to Final frontier.

I haven't seen any game breaking bugs in BtS, in fact I've been more excited than ever about Civ since this release. There is a couple of balance issues and tweaks that needs to be done, as it's always the case when introducing new features, but that's it. Oh and I had one crash to desktop as well (clicking the "Fine do it at the next opportunity" button when a city asked to flip).

Marathon always had some balance issue I thought, makes for a different kind of game. If you don't like those issues, don't play marathon until they fix it or else fix it yourself. My current game at Epic has been almost flawless so far, except for the Corporations' maintenance that needs to be tone down a bit.

"game breaking"?

how fragile are your systems? i've played 80+ hours of BTS with no crashes and without encountering any actual bugs

sure some features didn't work out exactly as planned and there's values that need fine tunning to perfect the balance...that's about it.

ps:i play on marathon and while i recognize that the spy mission scaling is a bit flawed, i can still manage to deal with it's effects just fine.

Turn off animation for attacks--you don't really need it anyway. Quick Combat saves so much time. Leave it on for the defense, though! I can't stress that enough... Nothing worse than thinking you have an army somewhere, only to check the logs and see it was destroyed six turns ago :crazyeye:

Yeah, I'll try it out tonight. Thanks for the tip.:)

Then again, I'm not a "serious gamer", I just do this for fun.

If you're not doing it for fun, you're not a gamer, serious or not. ;) I agree wholeheartedly with your post; BtS is a dramatic improvement over Warlords and given that a number of people are wondering "What game-breaking bugs?!?" I think that Firaxis can take its time to get the next patch right, even if it should try to get it out as soon as possible.

My condolences to those of you who love Marathon, but isn't owning a super computer capable of handling that some compensation?

Not sure what you mean? I could play Marathon through n through on standard size maps. Its not the amount of time but the size of the map thats limited on some computers

Top Bottom