1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is "Beyond the Sword" dead?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by toft, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I've played dozens of games and I'm loving it - I even love corporations as they are!

2. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Yeah, I'm not getting what the problem with corporations is. You don't want them in every city (unless it's civilized jewelers), just the ones that need the bonus.

3. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer King

My problem with corps is that you can spam it to AI cities to cripple them.

4. alex sword

alex sword Raging Barbarian

The major bug, in my opinion - a real showstopper - I've no idea how it is possible to put it in production - is that some how on Deity AI has a whole bunch of units in the beginning while I've only two. It makes the game unfair and so this is a bug.

5. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Yeah, I guess I hadn't thought about that enough. Maybe foreign corps should cost less to maintain.

6. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

If you had an issue with Securerom, then you'd have to take it up with them, not Firaxis (especially as the choice to use it had absolutely nothing to do with Firaxis)

You are mistaken - it is fit for purpose - they could as easily say that that was their intention, they never stipulated that in Marathon all things would be a % increase over Epic. Your opinion on what it should be is completely irrelevent to the law.

Completely false. Retailers have a fixed returns policy to their customer full stop - they don't have one for every product they have. The distributor has a returns policy to the retailer that has no bearing whatsoever on the retailers policy to the customer. The publisher has a returns policy with the distributor that has no bearing whatsoever on any of the downward returns policies - I used to work in software distribution and frankly, you don't seem to know even the outline of the workings of it.

Again, sorry to say, but you are mistaken. They used securerom which may or may not cause a problem with your PC..... if it does then you'd need to take it up with them. It could equally be said to be a problem with Vista.... either way, you're not going to be able to lay the blame on the Publisher as they'd also be the victim if this was proveable, which of course it isnt.

You wouldn't even get into court, let alone be chucked out.

Don't take this personally, but you have a strange sense of what you can do by law and don't seem to understand exactly who has what obligation.

The only group obliged to you is the retailer, and you could have taken the game back immediately (absolutely every item in the UK has a 7 day return policy - even food).... in fact, if you can prove that it does not work on your system and that the fault is not yours (difficult to prove) then you can still get a full refund up to a year later (for all non-consumables). Go and speak to the CAB if you want to understand your rights on it.

7. alexman

alexman King

Hey guys, we're basically done with the patch. You'll get it as soon as we can test it. I would guess about 3 weeks.

This is going to be the first real patch, by the way. v303 was meant to have no code changes, just a setting change to deal with some vista issues, and the latest DirectX version on the installer. Unfortunately, we messed up and built it off of a bad branch of the code. Sorry about that.

8. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

:goodjob:
    I can wait.

9. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Oi, thank you so much. I hope my wonder movies work properly after the patch and that my savegame no longer CTDs. :p

10. toft

toft King

Thank you very much. I, for one, am satisfied now.

11. DAKH

DAKH Chieftain

As a former World of Warcraft-player I'm accustomed to waiting for "broken" stuff to be fixed, like the endless balancing of the different classes.

That said, I've experienced only one truly game-breaking bug; the infinite loop issue, now resolved by Solver's patch, but the bug only happened once anyway.

12. Carch

Carch Chieftain

So let me get this straight. You play an unsupported map type on a game speed that stresses system resources, on an overclocked GPU, and Firaxis is to blame for your problems?

How much RAM do you have? > 2 MB I hope, given the settings you use.

The way your system performs with other games says absolutely nothing about the way it will perform with Civ IV (or any other game for that matter). Different games stress the system in completely different ways, through no fault of the programmers.

Bugs are one thing, but when you play with the proverbial fire...

13. toft

toft King

I hope > 2 GB ;)

14. ClockExplosion

ClockExplosion Chieftain

Three weeks later, I'm going to bet you money that people will complain that the patch took more then three weeks to release. :)

To Woerkit:

In my semi-professional opinion, if I was working tech support for Fireaxis, and you told me your problem, your hardware, I'd just laugh at you and hang up the phone.

First of all, Civ IV uses a lot of resources due to calculations it goes through. All of this take CPU power. You are right, Graphics are probably not the cause of your of your crashes and stuff.

Try installing more ram (expecting post that tells says that you have 2 gigs, in which case get faster ram). Also, shut off any heavy resource using applications (ie Firefox, office applications) before starting Civ IV. Don't run movies while playing Civ IV.

Also, try getting a better power supply.

Of course, most of these fixes cost money. It'd be free if you don't play Giant Maps with Marathon mode, as the more civilizations there is in a game = the more calculations the game has to put to into the processor = the more value s needed to be stored in RAM.

You'd think little 1s and 0s don't add up to much, but they add up quickly, especially with higher numbers.

15. Carch

Carch Chieftain

Heh... welcome to the year 2000, Carch ..... what a dumb typo.

16. syndicatedragon

syndicatedragon Warlord

Can we get a list of what the patch will address? Is it as extensive as Solver's unofficial patch?

17. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

And that's what we needed, at least a clue when it would be out. Thanks Alexman! :)

18. jdurg

jdurg Warlord

Good point. That's something I didn't mention earlier when I was talking about how more often than not a CTD or other "severe" crash is caused by faulty hardware more than faulty code. When you have this many calculations going on along with intense 3D graphics and extensive calls to the hard drive, your power supply gets a pretty damned extensive workout. If your CPU and/or your RAM is expecting a certain voltage level, but the PS is suddenly only able to provide 90% of that voltage level, you can get some mis-calculations. If your system is currently doing a lot of heavy calculations, one miscalculation can lead to a nasty series of errors. These errors will then cause the software to crash. So even though your CPU and RAM are functioning just fine, the power supply issues led to errors in the calculations which then led to a crash.

Most people skimp on their power supplies when they are putting together a powerful system, and it's not until heavy useage of that system goes into effect that the faults in the PS are seen.

19. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

...nevermind

20. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I think we can assume it will be quite a bit more extensive than Solver's unofficial patch. From what I understand, Solver only fixed a couple bugs, while Firaxis tends to adjust game balance and game play issues. The Warlords patch contained quite a lot of gameplay changes.