1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civ 4 Better than Chess?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jcikal, Jan 6, 2006.

?

Do you prefer playing Civ 4 or chess?

1. Civ 4

162 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Chess

32 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. About the same

20 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

Chess, it doesn't need a patch and won't crash!!!!!!!!!!

2. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

I chose Civ4. In chess, the goal is domination. Only domination. You have to capture your opponent's king (or make it so that it is unlikely that your opponent can win so they retire). That's it. In other words, there's only one opponent with one victory condition. I like Civ4 because I can play to different victory conditions against multiple opponents and feel like I'm accomplishing something other than moving pieces around a small square board.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy chess as well. It's just an entirely different style of gameplay.

3. RoboPig

RoboPig Deity

does chess have graphical problems? no.......................

4. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

We must go to different type of pubs but would get equally srange looks if i asked for either.

5. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

Going to the local watering hole and asking someone for a game of chess would be regarded as pretty strange in my neighborhood.

6. romelus

romelus NUCULAR!

in chess the other player doesn't begin with three extra rooks on "immortal" difficulty

7. x23

x23 Chieftain

Both are board games, but that's about where the similarities stop.Civ 4 is probably more entertaining in the long run because of the various ways to win, different starting positions, battle outcomes etc In chess the starting position is always the same and the only way to win is by checkmate.

8. akots

akots Poet

:lol: A very peculiar point of view. :lol:

First, to understand the mechanics of chess, you have to be able to play at a certain level. Second, stronger players see chess as an integrated machinery which you cannot decompose into individual pieces. Third, textbooks will tell you how to decompose it in order to analyze and then bring it all back and consider the results of your analysis. All these things are not needed and do not work for Civ because Civ is the actual sum of all the details.

To further explain this since it is rather complicated, chess game is a big whole which has to be split into pieces to enable analysis. Civ is a pile of details which forms one big piece (your civ) and while details don't have to be analyzed, the whole integrated thing has to be analyzed then to make a choice about details. That is way easier. In chess, a player has to split, analyze, then assemble and then apply the analysis. In Civ, it is already split, a player needs only to assemble and analyze the whole thing.

9. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

I've been playing chess over 30 years, and will play it 30 years from now, God willing. Civ4? I enjoy it, but frankly, it's a game that is here today, gone tomorrow. Chess doesn't need to be "updated" with new units and new graphics every couple of years. Shogi, however, is a good change of pace from chess.

10. PeeBlockIgloo

PeeBlockIgloo Chieftain

Ok. Alright. WTF IS CHESS.

kthanksbye

11. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

12. TylerDurdon

TylerDurdon Warlord

I have to say chess... cause it is the oldest game still played today.... I wonder if in 2500 something they will still play CIV 4.... but I know, well I would bet on it, that Chess would survive even the end of the world!!! (I'll have to live REAL old and be very lucky to win this bet)!!:D

But Civ 4 is at close as a computer game will ever go to the near perfection of the chess game!!!

13. Sildo

Sildo A circle

What about Civ V ;)

14. COUGAR69

COUGAR69 Chieftain

:lol: Is that where one player is red and one is black and you jump pieces and king the other player when he gets to the other side of the board?j/king.Chess makes my head hurt.

15. Theodorick

Theodorick King

Chess.

I've been playing it for years with family and friends, and it's a deeply personal and worthwhile game. Those who say chess is less difficult than civ4 are morons. Play chess with a good player and a single move can take almost an hour...

And yes I have played civ4 on diety. Chess is still a lot harder though.

ALSO... like said above, chess will last forever. I will play it to my dying days.
    civ4? Give a few years and I'll totally forget about it.

Also chess NEVER needs an upgrade.

16. johnnyjal

johnnyjal Prince

lol.

I like both games but they're totally different.
    One has rng, one do not..

17. Lord GS-41

Lord GS-41 Chieftain

Civ IV, because I can actually beat the AI. :D

18. MrDrizzt

MrDrizzt Chieftain

To me it's just a greater experience to play Civ4. I also like the historical element there is in Civ4

19. petermarkab

petermarkab Chieftain

To those members sneering at my choice of pub: its great, why don't you come down? Board games have been played in pubs for years; draughts, snakes and ladders, Risk, battleships, chess. you see it all! Going to the pub for the sole purpose of getting wrecked isn't for me and i like a bit of chess with my conversation. Plus setting up two comps in a pub to play civ is a bit conspicuous. I wouldn't want to risk my hardware for that.

regards,
    Peter

20. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Is eating pizza better than sleeping? Is Red better than Blue???

This Poll is quite nonsense. You can't really compare two so different games.